Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 02:30 PM

Default Interesting Read On Wild Pigs

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nada-1.5136431

Note the dispersal maps.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:56 PM

I would like to help with this problem I love pork. If anyone knows where they are hiding somewhere around edmonton pm me and I’ll make a few disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2019, 03:13 PM

"Spread rapidly across Canada".... I've never seen one, or know of anyone who has.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
"Spread rapidly across Canada".... I've never seen one, or know of anyone who has.
It's pretty hit and miss and they are nocturnal, but they are out there.

Grizz
Old 05-15-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I haven't either until they showed up at a friends family farm. Hanging out in a low ravine of trees and swamp, surrounded by fields. Friend put up cameras but never got any during the day. Months later they showed up again and plans were made to go out the next day.

I was there when a sow and a piglet were taken. 6 good sized piglets lived plus another sow and her 6 youngins. So yummy. They were never spotted in that field again and now the hutterites own the land.

Before anyone asks, this was more than 5 yrs ago. Give you a hint, sec highway 757 and 18 was close by

I would love to harvest a couple one day.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Sooo ?? therefore it must not be true ???

I saw them 20 years ago around Brooks. An old farmer got in financial trouble, opened the doors and set them all free (the Russian ones) ... Kinda like all the wild/tame rabbits in NW Calgary...City bought the guys land he opened the hutches and set all his little furry friends free....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:10 PM

Used to see them fairly regular. Deadwood area up by Manning. Probably even more there now.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 AM

Was wondering if they are pretty aggressive as I saw old stories of them chasing guys up a tree in the states. Seems to me I remember the guy in B.C. who killed some women fed their bodies to the pigs. Not sure if that is or is not true.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Was wondering if they are pretty aggressive as I saw old stories of them chasing guys up a tree in the states. Seems to me I remember the guy in B.C. who killed some women fed their bodies to the pigs. Not sure if that is or is not true.
Some "light" reading for you.... Robert Pickton

It's Wikipedia, so take some of it with a grain of salt - but it gives some background.

J.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:25 AM

It would appear that the bar for being classed a "DISASTER" is getting set lower and lower. The range has expanded but according to the only guy doing much research in Canada they really have no idea what the population is. A few thousand pigs spread over a huge area is a whole bunch different than 5 million pigs like they have in Texas.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
It would appear that the bar for being classed a "DISASTER" is getting set lower and lower. The range has expanded but according to the only guy doing much research in Canada they really have no idea what the population is. A few thousand pigs spread over a huge area is a whole bunch different than 5 million pigs like they have in Texas.
And it will never get to the point Texas is in either. Canada is a different game. -40 weather, 3 feet of snow, wolves, black bears, grizzlies, cougars.........I see no explosion happening up here like Texas.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Sooo ?? therefore it must not be true ???

I saw them 20 years ago around Brooks. An old farmer got in financial trouble, opened the doors and set them all free (the Russian ones) ... Kinda like all the wild/tame rabbits in NW Calgary...City bought the guys land he opened the hutches and set all his little furry friends free....
Of course not, just seems like a bit of exaggeration to get a click on the headline. See your own post...
Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Not much wonder there is now estimated more pigs in Sask than people. The government has them listed as exotic species. Only Saskatchewan residents can hunt them and they must be hunted under the same laws and restrictions as all other big game. That's not an eradication program, its turning a blind eye.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:59 PM

Hunting makes the problem bigger- it gives them value.

Give the meateater podcast ep. 115 a listen- very enlightening and dispels a lot of myths
Old 05-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSDucknut View Post
Hunting makes the problem bigger- it gives them value.

Give the meateater podcast ep. 115 a listen- very enlightening and dispels a lot of myths
Oh yeah they've become a novelty down there and I'm sure up here in parts as well. If it was really an issue it wouldn't be such a secret where they exist. And I fully agree with you, hunting is not a solution to eradication if that were to ever be the goal.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 05-16-2019, 05:48 PM

I see lots of them. Mostly at Costco and Wal-Mart.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Not much wonder there is now estimated more pigs in Sask than people. The government has them listed as exotic species. Only Saskatchewan residents can hunt them and they must be hunted under the same laws and restrictions as all other big game. That's not an eradication program, its turning a blind eye.
Wild board are classed as unprotected in sask and can be hunted without a licence by sask residents.never seen one in my travels but I'd love to shoot one.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:10 PM

as a albertan that moved to texas. let me help spread the light on these "not seeing them, must not be here folk"

i drive all over the state, i spend a ton of time rural and on highways. while you do see the occasional roadkill one. its pretty rare to see them around during the day. ive only ever seen them early morning under a deer feeder.

if theres no feed, they stick to thick brush rooting around and youll never see em.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:11 AM

I’ve been to Texas every winter for ~20 years. In my opinion, there were way more pigs there in 1998 than there are now and I think night vision scopes are the biggest reason with helicopter hunting coming in second. One fellow I know killed over 50 in a night with an ATV, night vision and a pistol and we’ve killed between 20-30 per night with one AR-15 equipped with a Gen 3 scope. Helicopter hunting can kill every pig on a property. Dog hunting can kill a lot of pigs if done right. I think there is a zero percent chance of wild pigs ever becoming anything more than a localized nuisance in Alberta. Pig hunting in Texas is big business and the pig population could be severely reduced in a year if people really wanted to.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-27-2019, 09:04 AM

According to the map SK is being overrun.