Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 06:36 PM

I had mine in my hands in 32 days
Old 06-28-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I was just answering the question re cost for renewal - suspect you are directing this at someone else and not asking my opinion on the cost/value....
Directed to the OP, but not in an effort to start a fight, just giving some rational for the delay. No one likes waiting, especially when you are paying for a service. But the delay is beyond the control of the persons answering the phones or even the FO's completing the files.

Last edited by brendan's dad; 06-28-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
So the folks who's jobs depend on firearms ownership are secretly trying put themselves out of a job by delaying process and discouraging firearms ownership????... OK
Why can you get a passport in a matter of weeks, if not days, but for some it can take 6 plus months to get a firearms license? You don't think that paperwork is part of the master plan?
Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Thanks guys I had a different number but got through. Basically she said they just looked at my file today. Then said it will be up till 2 weeks to call my references. I told her nicely that this was rediculous so I imagine I will have to wait another 6 months.....
She said I could have it sped up if I get my references to call them. I said no thanks I am not going to bother my friends to do the work that they should be doing.
I can't believe they are so under staffed that licensing takes this long in this country
If she was having a bad day, your application may have just gone to the bottom of the pile on her desk. I hope not.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:17 PM

Anyone who gets so angry and impatient waiting for their license maybe not fit mentally to own a firearm .😩😩
Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Why can you get a passport in a matter of weeks, if not days, but for some it can take 6 plus months to get a firearms license? You don't think that paperwork is part of the master plan?
I for 1 am glad they put more time and effort into a firearms license vs a passport. Plus your passport is basically pre-approved and screen prior to being submitted.

I would rather give a violent or mentally unstable person the ability to travel vs owning a firearm.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I for 1 am glad they put more time and effort into a firearms license vs a passport. Plus your passport is basically pre-approved and screen prior to being submitted.

I would rather give a violent or mentally unstable person the ability to travel vs owning a firearm.
You put more faith in the ability of a bureaucrat to judge someone's suitability to own firearms than I do.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
You put more faith in the ability of a bureaucrat to judge someone's suitability to own firearms than I do.
bu·reau·crat /ˈbyo͝orəˌkrat/

noun: bureaucrat; plural noun: bureaucrats
an official in a government department, in particular one perceived as being concerned with procedural correctness at the expense of people's needs.

In the case of approving or denying a firearm license, the process is designed to meet the needs of the people or in broader terms, the public.

In the Firearm Act there are 5 reason why a person can be denied a firearm's license. It is the job of the person screening the license to access these 5 areas based on the person history and reference interviews. If a person contravenes any one of the 5, then the license is denied.

So the procedure is not at the expense of the public, but rather for it's benefit. I am not sure that your use of the word "bureaucrat" is appropriate.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:20 PM

Less than 2 weeks when I did mine last year online. Wife did hers this spring, less than 11 days from online application to card in her hands.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 PM

Well BD I am not sure about you but I think the paperwork for them wouldn't take very long to do. 5 min per reference per phone call.
Do you think it is reasonable to get 10 done in a day? I sure as heck hope so. That is $800 right there and I think that is conservative at being 10 per day and hope it would be more like 16 per day and a half hr a piece! I would say they are paying for themselves.
Like stated by another poster, a passport can be done in less time.
Also another fact is they are a 10 year passport not 5 like these gun licenses are. Maybe they should change the time like passports and double the fee if they want.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well BD I am not sure about you but I think the paperwork for them wouldn't take very long to do. 5 min per reference per phone call.
Do you think it is reasonable to get 10 done in a day? I sure as heck hope so. That is $800 right there and I think that is conservative at being 10 per day and hope it would be more like 16 per day and a half hr a piece! I would say they are paying for themselves.
Like stated by another poster, a passport can be done in less time.
Also another fact is they are a 10 year passport not 5 like these gun licenses are. Maybe they should change the time like passports and double the fee if they want.
It's not about how many they can get done in a day, it's about how many they'll do in a day. I know how much I can get done in a day and it takes my guys 3 days to do it, I'm sure the government is any different.

I have to say you're not doing yourself any favours by telling them off and not taking their advice though. You had a good opportunity to speed it up but you're choosing not to...... It wouldn't have been the way I handled it, but if you're in no hurry I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 PM

I can not comment on the time required for each file because I have no idea on the paper work involved. I am sure some are very quick and straight forward and other and very time consuming. But regardless whether a license is denied or granted, quick or slow, the process must be completed for liability sake alone.

Increasing the license time frame could alleviate some of the backlog, but the problem is that mental health rarely creates a police file that would be automatically forwarded to the CFO. So unless the person self identifies or family/friend contacts the CFO with concerns, these person fall through the crack. A lot can change in person's life and mental health in a 5 year period. The renewal forces the CFP to ensure nothing has occurred that would disqualify a person from possessing a license.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:18 PM

Initially my pal took roughly 2.5 months later my rpal took a little over a month I believe.. prohib took a lot longer 6 months by the time all hoops and such were jumped through.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:52 PM

Well , here is the rest of the story. Finally got my card today. They called only one reference was all from the 2 I gave them... Basically 2 months...
One other guy I know was the same time frame as well. Pretty Sad it takes that long
Old 08-11-2017, 07:58 PM

Congrats! What are you getting first? I've probably got a dozen or two you'd like, PM me!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 PM

I got no idea. Probably something for bear protection like a .40 and a 22.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Banned

I picked up a S&W M&P 40 cal, it's a nice enough gun, but I've always wanted a Ruger GP100 357mag.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 PM

Probably best if I go and shoot a bunch and see what feels best
Old 08-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Well , here is the rest of the story. Finally got my card today. They called only one reference was all from the 2 I gave them... Basically 2 months...
One other guy I know was the same time frame as well. Pretty Sad it takes that long
Took 5 mos for my RPAL renewal and arrived less than a week before it expired even though I called 3 times. None of my references were called AFAIK. The last time I called was a little over a week before it expired to ask if I needed to transfer my firearms to my wife to avoid being at risk of confiscation and imprisonment... the answer was no, as long as my application was pending I should be good.

Over time, I have been less and less convinced that our firearms system serves the public good at all. Sure is expensive though so that's good! Seriously though, I believe it carries far more legal jeopardy/deterrence to owning firearms for the law-abiding than it does to people with a criminal record who cannot legally possess firearms or ammunition or to those who commit violent crimes.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:29 PM

I submitted my first time application in February. Waited 45 days to call the 1-800 number. I was careful to keep a kind tone with them, always asking if there was anything I could help with to keep things moving along. Often I was told just to wait. I had my references call in the moment they gave me the chance. It took about 3 months to get it to the CFO's office. Called the CFO's office each month offering help, also met with "just wait". After 6 months of waiting I was fed up. No information on where it was at or what I could do to help. Finally I called the CFO's office with a slightly different tone. I said something along the lines of, "It's been 6 months of waiting with no information, and I'm calling to get it sorted out TODAY." I was still polite (these people are only trying to do their jobs) but firm. I was told it was in secondary review and it would be looked at shortly. It was then approved that day.

They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and in this case it appears to be true.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to the time limits of applications, if you want to see some timelines of other people there is a thread on canadian gun nuts of people posting about their application timelines.

It can be very frustrating waiting for months on end with no information, especially when they say it should only take 45 days. The key is to be patient, firm with your phone calls, and to remember that government beaurocracy is a reality.

I wish you much luck and resolve OP, as your journey may be far from over.

-GrizzlyBeard
Old 08-14-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Ive been waiting over a month now and my references have not even been called. Kinda ticks me off
I waited 12 weeks exactly the length of time that they said it would take to process the appl.I believe it is on your copy of your application 12weeks
Old 08-15-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Just to put things into context, there is just under 4 million PAL holders in Canada. With a 5 year expiry, that equals 800,000 renewal a years. With a 200 day work year, that about 4000 renewals a day. This does not include new applications and revocations due to mental health and criminal activity. I am not sure on staffing numbers in New Brunswich, but they are definitely not lost for work.
Where do you get this figure of 4 million+?
The most recent claims Ive seen made by CCFR says there are a little mire than 2 million PAL holders in Canada?

Quote:
The slow process is part of the slow process of discouraging firearms ownership.
yup.....the less people willing to jump through the hoops,the more it fits the agenda.

A lot can change in person's life and mental health in a 5 year period. The renewal forces the CFP to ensure nothing has occurred that would disqualify a person from possessing a license.[/QUOTE]
PAL/RPAL holders are already screened and vetted daily thru CPIC for continued eligibility to hold a firearms licence,tgeres no reason to require renewal every 5 years,it should be for life unless revoked for good cause,wether temporsrily or permanently......yet you seem to put your faith in the presumption that renewals will voluntarily disclose any life changes,mental health,significant relationships breakdowns etc to justify a 5year term??

Quote:
you should be thankful,2 months is well below the avg wait time as i understand it.

FWIW,a few years ago,I waited 5 months for my PAL (Jan-May) before i attempted to contact CFO....which took another 2 weeks of failed attempts to contact....finally spoke to live person @6months,and the excuse was tgey were unable to contact my wife....BS!!
We have voice mail and call display on home land line,same as her cell ph and office phone.
So i gave the CFO office lady wife's office # AGAIN and they contacted wife that afternoon,had my card in a week.
FYI they had never attempted to contact either of my other references.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Ive been waiting over a month now and my references have not even been called. Kinda ticks me off
Patience. There are a lot of staff in the CFO that are on holiday.

FWIW, mine took 35 days after the CFO received my application.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
My current expired on April 6. I reapplied on February 1. Still waiting for it.
Still waiting, the 2 phone calls I made were 3 hours that I will never get back.
Its a good thing that I certainly do not need any more rifles, and I have no reloading to do.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:46 PM

Default References?

Quote:
Hi Guys...when i called in to check, the nice lady at the call center said that they may not even call my references.This is when i volunteered to have my references call them to save time.

Ive applied for my RPAL.

Any feedback on whether references are indeed called these days? Or do they just do a full police check etc and thats it?
Old 11-22-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gazder View Post
Hi Guys...when i called in to check, the nice lady at the call center said that they may not even call my references.This is when i volunteered to have my references call them to save time.

Ive applied for my RPAL.

Any feedback on whether references are indeed called these days? Or do they just do a full police check etc and thats it?
Mine were called the last time
Cat
Old 11-22-2018, 07:08 PM

My first time application took about three months when I completed my course last Nov. They never called my references for RPAL. Always very polite when I called. If I recall correctly, she said that the fall was usually busy with a backlog of people wanting to get it done for hunting season.