Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 07:30 PM

Default Disrespecting Canadian Citizens.

This is a national disgrace, and Mr. Harper and his cronies should be ashamed of themselves. How can a government of Canada be so callous towards her own people??

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/shoal-l...tion-1.2440723

Stewart Redsky was among those visibly upset. "For 100 years, Shoal Lake 40 First Nation has had to pay so Winnipeg could get fresh water," he said. "Our people deserve an answer today."
Shoal Lake 40, on the border of Ontario and Manitoba, declared a state of emergency earlier this year after the ferry that linked it to other communities was shut down.
Not only were people cut off from medical care and grocery stores, they had no way to bring in the bottled water the community has relied on ever since a boil water advisory was put in place 17 years ago.

The Ojibway community was moved to a man-made island 100 years ago so that Winnipeg could draw clean drinking water. Shoal Lake residents were left with water so dirty that weeds sometimes come through the taps.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Banned

Default so how is this harper's fault ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
This is a national disgrace, and Mr. Harper and his cronies should be ashamed of themselves. How can a government of Canada be so callous towards her own people??

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/shoal-l...tion-1.2440723

Stewart Redsky was among those visibly upset. "For 100 years, Shoal Lake 40 First Nation has had to pay so Winnipeg could get fresh water," he said. "Our people deserve an answer today."
Shoal Lake 40, on the border of Ontario and Manitoba, declared a state of emergency earlier this year after the ferry that linked it to other communities was shut down.
Not only were people cut off from medical care and grocery stores, they had no way to bring in the bottled water the community has relied on ever since a boil water advisory was put in place 17 years ago.

The Ojibway community was moved to a man-made island 100 years ago so that Winnipeg could draw clean drinking water. Shoal Lake residents were left with water so dirty that weeds sometimes come through the taps.
just checked - it wasn't him that relocated the ojibs

let Selinger put his money where his mouth is ...

it's always the opposition provincial gov'ts riling up the natives just in time for a federal election.

if it's not this clown in MB - we have to listen to Charlie Angus riling up chief Spence and her Attawapiskat band ...

disgraceful - political interference !

TBD

PS .... hey CS, next time your on the internets do a u-tube search on mb's premier, selinger and that flake in northern ON - angus, and then ask yourself - "do I really want to take up the flag for these political hacks ? "

... thought so

Last edited by TBD; 06-27-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
just checked - it wasn't him that relocated the ojibs

let Selinger put his money where his mouth is ...

it's always the opposition provincial gov'ts riling up the natives just in time for a federal election.

if it's not this clown in MB - we have to listen to Charlie Angus riling up chief Spence and her Attawapiskat band ...

disgraceful - political interference !

TBD

PS .... hey CS, next time your on the internets do a u-tube search on mb's premier, selinger and that flake in northern ON - angus, and then ask yourself - "do I really want to take up the flag for these political hacks ? "

... thought so

Now don't go spoiling his rant with actual facts.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:49 PM

yup the classis rant " my mind is made up don't confuse me with facts "
Old 06-27-2015, 08:59 PM

17 years under a boil water advisory....and all you can see is political hacks.

Clearly some people have no social conscience at all, and fail to understand that Canada has a fiduciary duty to look after Aboriginals. And that duty falls under the federal government of Mr. Harper at this time. While he finds money to blow all over the world playing war lord....he shamefully fails his own people and the law of the land. It's sickening, but not surprising when seeing how many other conservatives flout the law in this country.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Clearly some people have no social conscience at all, and fail to understand that Canada has a fiduciary duty to look after Aboriginals. And that duty falls under the federal government of Mr. Harper at this time. While he finds money to blow all over the world playing war lord....he shamefully fails his own people and the law of the land. It's sickening, but not surprising when seeing how many other conservatives flout the law in this country.
What did they do 18 years ago? The water was good then?
If my water is nfg, I go to work so I can pay to drill a water well. Maybe this is new technology out there.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Banned

Default hmm - let's see 17 yrs ago when their water system failed ...

Quote:

... well that was chretien in pwr then, arnd the time of walkerton too ... there's your perp - it was the cretch !

you should send a stern letter to Justin and ask him why his late daddy's finance minister neglected water quality on native reserves ?

and then report back to us, so that you can keep this thread going

i'll visit back every few weeks to check in on your progress
Old 06-27-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Sometimes it's impossible to help someone who won't help themselves. As they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. No shortage of money going to Aboriginals, it just seems to vanish into thin air.

Grizz
Old 06-27-2015, 09:32 PM

I think it's time for Aboriginals to start looking after themselves.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTJ2005 View Post
Agreed
Old 06-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Gone Hunting

lame

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-27-2015, 09:44 PM

hort and long term drinking water advisories that are in place in First Nation communities on reserve located south of the 60 degree parallel in Canada.

As of May 31, 2015, there were 127 Drinking Water Advisories in effect in 88 First Nation communities across Canada, excluding British Columbia.

This is criminal, and it's happening here in Canada, while our government builds roads and drills well in iraq
Old 06-27-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTJ2005 View Post
But wouldn't that be called racist ????
Old 06-27-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
hort and long term drinking water advisories that are in place in First Nation communities on reserve located south of the 60 degree parallel in Canada.

As of May 31, 2015, there were 127 Drinking Water Advisories in effect in 88 First Nation communities across Canada, excluding British Columbia.

This is criminal, and it's happening here in Canada, while our government builds roads and drills well in iraq
My old water well was tested and it was not fit for human consumption. So to make a long story short I called a water well driller and he came and drilled me a new well. Gave me a bill that I paid for with dollars earned from going to work. Maybe the people of 88 First Nations communities should try it. Believe me it works.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:57 PM

“The primary responsibility for drinking water supply and facilities in First Nations communities in Canada falls to the First Nations,” said a statement from the Department of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
“The primary responsibility for drinking water supply and facilities in First Nations communities in Canada falls to the First Nations,” said a statement from the Department of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development.
Doesn't mean it's right.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Doesn't mean it's right.
So more money then?

Giving more money to a group of people who don't have the financial sense to run a lemonade stand won't fix these issues.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

See, this is where you shoot yourself in the foot with this crap and lose any and all credibility in your argument and point of view. The Canadian government is NOT building any roads or drilling any wells in Iraq. If you choose to live in a remote, inaccessible area with no amenities and no fixed link to the outside world this is what you have to deal with. Canadians are sick and tired of this whining about these issues with First Nations. Do you really think the opposition party's would do anything differently? You act as if there was a chicken in every pot for natives prior to 2006!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:25 PM

Fixing all their problems for them will not help them.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:34 PM

Let me get this straight? It's Harpers fault there is a boil water advisory??? So the government is suppose to look after them from birth to death. The real world don't work that way. Who was suppose to monitor and maintain the water service. Look there first if you want to blame. Or call Justin. He can send winter coats.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:42 PM

This thread is crap I am going to read about Omega50 making bacon.......

Alba gu brath!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Agreed
X3
Old 06-27-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Doesn't mean it's right.
As residents of Calgary we pay for our own water treatment & distribution, as do other communities across the nation. Its not federally funded for us, why should it be elsewhere? Water treatment and distribution could be handled among those communities for themselves as well, if they chose to undertake it. How long would people here stand for having no safe water before they undertook corrective measures themselves? It would be way faster than the example this band has set... The money is there, if the band has squandered it that's their issue, many other bands with competent leadership seem to do OK with their allotments. Its difficult for many bands to get themselves out of the quagmires they're in with the people they've chosen to lead them, thats where the primary blame lays. its not with the non-status taxpayer. With the graft, corruption and mismanagement witnessed in Theresa Spence's band as an example its no wonder something this major has been procrastinated for so long. Instead of plugging the financial leaks in their budget to achieve the project for themselves, they're seeking more $$$. Sending in more money is not the answer. Perhaps one potential answer is to have the job done by professionals but to pay for it by garnishing the money from their treaty payments over some reasonable time period (10 years or whatever)
Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

So the natives are pointing the finger at the Feds because they the natives won't help the natives....?

We should just bomb Iraq, it works for every problem the US has :-D

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 06-27-2015, 11:03 PM

I agree 100%...

An entire group of people in Canada waiting for others to look after them is indeed a National disgrace. Those band leaders could pay to have water wells drilled but would probably rather their residents get sick so that they can get the media out there to film how pathetic they are so they can get more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$.

Are those people not allowed to leave to other parts of Canada where there are better living conditions? That's what many other Canadian Citizens do when the places they are in turn to crap. What do they do for work up there anyways? Is there much industry around there for employment?

National disgrace alright...
Old 06-27-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
So the natives are pointing the finger at the Feds because they the natives won't help the natives....?

We should just bomb Iraq, it works for every problem the US has :-D
When you point your finger forward to place blame there are 3 fingers pointing backwards to were the problem lies.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:13 PM

Seems to me they already had good drinking water but were relocated with the promise of the same in their new location. Its that promise that they want honoured.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:33 PM

Cs you are insulting forum members intelligence with your post at best and trolling at worst. You also have no idea what fiduciary duty is and how one exercises it.

Are you First Nation? I won't use native as we are all native, somewhere. The relevance is your skin in the game.....

Chief Redsky is an obstructionist and a liar and has been proven factually on a repeated basis.

How much have you personally done for these people that you feel are abandoned by our government? How much money have you directly and indirectly contributed to them?

I look toward to your reply and I sincerely hope this thread is not locked prior to us exchanging facts and queens bench rulings.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
When you point your finger forward to place blame there are 3 fingers pointing backwards to were the problem lies.

....that is the biggest candy arse pile of bull pucky chikkin scat nonsense excuse for doing nothing I ever did hear....

Some times a finger needs to be pointed.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 06-28-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
So more money then?

Giving more money to a group of people who don't have the financial sense to run a lemonade stand won't fix these issues.
More money? Not a chance. Some responsibility to look after them selves you bet.
Closed Thread