Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Banned

Arrow Banjo countertop over toilet; have to replace toilet!

Banjo countertop over toilet; have to replace toilet!

20 year old house, main bathroom toilet gave up the ghost and now I need a replacement. Problem is that I have a counter installed over the toilet and it only gives me 30" of height to work with. Majority of the new toilets are lot taller and having a hard time tracking one down that would fit with room to tweak if needed.

How much clearance do I need to get another toilet in there; access to the bowl? Have a rather tough time finding a toilet with the same height as the one that needs replacing 27" total height.

Looks like this

Old 06-27-2015, 06:44 PM

Remove the front trim/support board. Make alterations to how the countertop shelf is supported.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Banned

That's not my bathroom picture, sorry should have stated that

Pretty close though, the banjo counter is one solid piece and no spare room to be made.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:51 PM

I wanna few minutes in a room with whomever first thought of doing that, it makes it unnecessarily painful to replace the float valves.

As for your requirements, you'll have to dig through the spec sheets for the heights of models you're considering. Personally I'd recommend getting an elongated bowl if you're not already thinking so, they're better for men.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:26 PM

use the tub

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 06-27-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I wanna few minutes in a room with whomever first thought of doing that, it makes it unnecessarily painful to replace the float valves.

As for your requirements, you'll have to dig through the spec sheets for the heights of models you're considering. Personally I'd recommend getting an elongated bowl if you're not already thinking so, they're better for men.
That's why they call it a Banjo. Think Deliverance. Could be fun with one of those toilet with the top buttons.

Grizz
Old 06-27-2015, 10:47 PM

Perfect excuse to remodel the bathroom and modernize it.
Then cabertosser won't be swearing at you.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:44 PM

The countertop could be removed and have the banjo arm removed and set back in place too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-28-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post

20 year old house, main bathroom toilet gave up the ghost and now I need a replacement. Problem is that I have a counter installed over the toilet and it only gives me 30" of height to work with. Majority of the new toilets are lot taller and having a hard time tracking one down that would fit with room to tweak if needed.

How much clearance do I need to get another toilet in there; access to the bowl? Have a rather tough time finding a toilet with the same height as the one that needs replacing 27" total height.

Looks like this

American Standard has a one piece toilet that is 261/4 inches high with elongated bowl as caber suggests. Lowe's has them for 259.00

Mack
Old 06-28-2015, 01:26 AM

I forgot to mention to look for a higher MPA rating, they plug less frequently. they come in 600, 800 or 1000 MPA, 1000 being the better performing.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:47 AM

Just been through the same problem, new vanity top with a little wall work and painting.
With the price of this vanity I would wash more than my hands in it
http://www.lowes.ca/vanity-tops/esta...ProductSlot=26
Old 06-28-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post

Old:

New:

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 06-28-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Both bathrooms in this condo are the same setup, but only an inch of clearance... Why oh why would they do it. They are full height toilets tho.

Dave, that old blue was worse than the harvest gold. Like the after much better
Old 06-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Banned

Thanks for the help

This is the winner; already installed and just waiting for the caulking too dry. Walked into Home Depot this morning and tada! There it was.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/tofi...-toilet/859800

Old 06-28-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Best solution, especially if you need one of those raised handicapped friendly toilets. That counter top is about as dated as a Ford Edsel.

Grizz
Old 06-28-2015, 12:29 PM

Dave, I'd caught the after pics of that bathroom on your Facebook page but those before's are utterly obscene! Were the previous owners legally blind? 'shudder'
Old 06-28-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post

Looks like this

Toto Eco Drake. Awesome toilet. Installed myself under the same counter type. Long bowl is great if you have room. Otherwise a great toilet. Great flusher. Water saving.

I had 32 inches. Toilet is 29 inches. It should work for you. Access to inside the bowl could be a problem.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-28-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Dave, I'd caught the after pics of that bathroom on your Facebook page but those before's are utterly obscene! Were the previous owners legally blind? 'shudder'
LOL...especially the wallpaper! They're loving the new look.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
X2 that countertop over the toilet was the dumbest idea ever. Makes it hard to work on tank, flushing apparatus. And it looks old fashioned. Deep six it.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:43 AM

Had that issue with a toilet I put in for the kid's bathroom - measured everything out, and by all rights it was going to fit - then I went to put the tank lid on, and realized that the flush valve sticks out above the tank rim just enough that I can't shimmy the lid on. Arrrrrgh!

Will probably swap it with my ensuite toilet, as it's a bit shorter. Another item on the list of things to fix/do...