Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2015, 12:20 AM
Gone Hunting

Like a lot of things in life I missed the middle aged crazies or midlife crisis or anything like that.

I guess it's probably because I never was all that impressed with material things.

The one thing I've always wanted more of is close friends. For most of my life, many of the people I thought were my friends were only interested in what they could take from me.

I have a few I call friends and a I have my family. I have a few toys and some free time and a little money.

What more could a man want?

Besides, as huntin's little girl said to me when I told her how old I was.
She said and I quote, " Oh MY God! You're Almost Dead!!! "

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-27-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Besides, as huntin's little girl said to me when I told her how old I was.
She said and I quote, " Oh MY God! You're Almost Dead!!! "
hehe
Old 06-27-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
I'm in my mid fourties and my life feels good. My career is great. I love my wife no kids. I have a nice house and I even like our cat, yet something is missing. Lately I feel I need something to spice my life up. Something more than a hobby, traveling or even hunting.

I'm eying up a new motorcycle even though I made a promise many, many years ago to my mother never to ride again. (She's a worry wart..but that's what moms do.) I also have my eye on a Challenger. At any rate, I'm pretty sure the wife is vehemently against this idea but I almost feel like getting one anyway. A couple years ago this would be a no brainer...

Anyone else feel here go through this midlife crisis thing? How did you get through it unscathed?

I know you said you want something other than travel, but have you considered more open-ended travel? My wife and I bought open-ended flights to southeast asia. We were between jobs and had a few months to kill. We got on a plane from Tokyo to Bangkok and just went with the flow. It took us to some amazing places and we met some great people from all over the world. Thailand....Bali....Singapore....Malaysia....Kyoto , then back home to Canada. We ended up spending a large amount of time on the beach - as we didn't fully realize the brisk work pace we had been keeping while living in Japan for 3 years. And open-ended travel teaches you a lot about yourself.

Mind you, this adventure was pre-kids and now that our kids are getting ready to leave the nest in the next few years, we're starting to get that same kind of travel bug again. This time maybe South America...
Old 06-27-2015, 09:54 AM

Default Mid

What your feeling isn't a crisis, or depression or some materialistic yearning. It's about finally getting wise enough to be aware that you have limited time left on Big Blue and wanting to make sure you live life to its full value. Bike rides in the wind, open roads, these are all good things for your soul. Buy a car and a bike, vehicles arent like family, you can get rid of them weekly if you wish.
Saving all your money for when your an old man, with bad joints and a memory thats waning, well, that seems like a crisis to me.

Last edited by Full Curl Earl; 06-27-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:18 PM

OP, you need a hobby. Lot's of guys buy a motorbike or sports car and then within a month it sits in the garage as there's nothing to do with it.

Do something fun that interests you. If you like working on cars, check out dirt track racing. Tons of fun and you can spend very little or a lot depending on the class you run in.

There's lot's of timed type motorcycle or sports car events if that's more your cup of tea. Don't know anything about them.

It's the competition that's fun, the vehicle is just the tool.

Or, go get your private pilot's licence, or glider licence.

If you have both time and money the world is your oyster. Usually we either have the time or the money, don't waste the opportunity when you have both at the same time.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:29 PM

Dumoulin...

I hear ya. I have those moments too.

I find that what cures this is not collecting toys...but collecting experiences.

If you are already looking at a bike, get dual purpose bike and ride up to the Arctic Circle...or head south down the Pacific Coast Highway. Don't plan it. Just get on, ride and stop wherever you want. See what you wanna see...do what you wanna do.

There is truly nothing like it.

Go skydiving/bungee jumping/rock climbing/solo survival camping.

Do some things you never pictured yourself doing. Test yourself. Get out of your comfort zone.

If you can afford it, there is no limit.....only what you can imagine.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 06-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
What your feeling isn't a crisis, or depression or some materialistic yearning. It's about finally getting wise enough to be aware that you have limited time left on Big Blue and wanting to make sure you live life to its full value. Bike rides in the wind, open roads, these are all good things for your soul. Buy a car and a bike, vehicles arent like family, you can get rid of them weekly if you wish.
Saving all your money for when your an old man, with bad joints and a memory thats waning, well, that seems like a crisis to me.
Thank's
Old 06-27-2015, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Well my work situation has always demanded that I have a 4 wheel drive wagon. Now that I'm slowly but surely working my way out of the "patch", I'm looking at those nice Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers with a wishful eye. Must be yellow though, with black stripes and no V6. No bike either, too many people that are my age and end up as road pizza. And yes, my joints hurt....what was I saying?
Old 06-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Well my work situation has always demanded that I have a 4 wheel drive wagon. Now that I'm slowly but surely working my way out of the "patch", I'm looking at those nice Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers with a wishful eye. Must be yellow though, with black stripes and no V6. No bike either, too many people that are my age and end up as road pizza. And yes, my joints hurt....what was I saying?
Old 06-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Yeah that ! Forgive me, I'm old school. What engine? something like a 340 maybe. Oh darn....that is beautiful.

bb356...is that beauty yours?
Old 06-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah that ! Forgive me, I'm old school. What engine? something like a 340 maybe. Oh darn....that is beautiful.

bb356...is that beauty yours?

No not mine ... I'm lucky if I could afford the tire's and rim's
Old 06-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Banned

Why not get an advanced degree out of the Faculty of Education. Something that takes your boredom away. Something that makes you think all the time.
Something that makes you argue with peers. Something that makes you learn something new every day.

Those lesson plans must be from rote by now.

or

Divorce your wife, let her clean you out and you will actually have to work for a living.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Banned

You bastard you. That 70 car would be out of reach. But the newbies look pretty darned good too.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Gone Fishing

I cant wait to have a mid-life crisis......................again !
Old 06-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Why not get an advanced degree out of the Faculty of Education. Something that takes your boredom away. Something that makes you think all the time.
Something that makes you argue with peers. Something that makes you learn something new every day.

Those lesson plans must be from rote by now.

or

Divorce your wife, let her clean you out and you will actually have to work for a living.
WTF? are you kidding, I already know everything, plus some more. Besides, I've self diagnosed myself with Compulsive Objectionable Unattentive Rednecking Don't give a **** Go f*** yourself behaviour. I just need a nice ride to make me somewhat normal
Old 06-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
You bastard you. That 70 car would be out of reach. But the newbies look pretty darned good too.
Yes they do look good ... I'm just helping you with the deciding of the 3 and the Challenger is the handsomest of your pick's
Old 06-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes they do look good ... I'm just helping you with the deciding of the 3 and the Challenger is the handsomest of your pick's
Job well done buddy. You've awakened a beast in me. Can you help with the payments? LOL.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:

No not mine ... I'm lucky if I could afford the tire's and rim's
I tell you what. With what I've paid for the last 3 Toyota FJ Cruiser's that I've had to have do to my work. I can afford one of them puppies. Them FJ's aren't cheap, but when my life depended on getting out of a situation, they were worth every $$$.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
WTF? are you kidding, I already know everything, plus some more. Besides, I've self diagnosed myself with Compulsive Objectionable Unattentive Rednecking Don't give a **** Go f*** yourself behaviour. I just need a nice ride to make me somewhat normal
Just like you blessed Mother used to say to you. "It won't hurt you if you learn a little more every day."

And gitrdun, I know you are that kind of person that likes to explore the newer things in this world. Why would you name yourself gitrgun? Why not Joe Slug?

And why are you a respected member of the Southern Alberta Arts Community if you are a person who does not stretch his intellectual boundary's?
Old 06-27-2015, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Job well done buddy. You've awakened a beast in me. Can you help with the payments? LOL.
If you get one of those no interest and no payment's for the first six month's deal's ... I'm your man !!!
Old 06-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Banned

Buy a quad! That way you can ride summer or winter! smiley was here....
Old 06-27-2015, 08:49 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the great PMs and also to those who offered their personal perspectives. To that effect, I think the list of items you created were quite neat and sound too. Oddly, I've done just about everything on this list (from skydiving to traveling to a Masters degree); however, to be clear, what I am looking for is more than just filing a void with material possessions, yet it is less than self-fulfillment or spirituality. It's somewhere in between.

I had a good chat with a close friend this afternoon. He pointed out where I came from and the sacrifices I made to get to where I am in my personal life, professionally and "spiritually". I guess this would explain the bike and muscle car--somehow these would allow me to relive my youth (in some ways) and get a second chance at it.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:44 PM

I'm 42 and I think I'm dealing with the same issues as you. Been working full time since I was 16, raised three kids that I'm proud of and some days I just want to reward myself with a river boat. Wife figures I should reward myself with a new shop but I need a river boat to put in it.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:18 PM

Just do it! Life is short.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the great PMs and also to those who offered their personal perspectives. To that effect, I think the list of items you created were quite neat and sound too. Oddly, I've done just about everything on this list (from skydiving to traveling to a Masters degree); however, to be clear, what I am looking for is more than just filing a void with material possessions, yet it is less than self-fulfillment or spirituality. It's somewhere in between.

I had a good chat with a close friend this afternoon. He pointed out where I came from and the sacrifices I made to get to where I am in my personal life, professionally and "spiritually". I guess this would explain the bike and muscle car--somehow these would allow me to relive my youth (in some ways) and get a second chance at it.
Try downhill skiing at whatever level you may be, you can be at one with nature and defy gravity all at the same time, i find it fullfilling,challenging, and rewarding
Old 06-28-2015, 05:25 AM

Big classic auction all weekend: http://www.sourceaa.com/
Old 06-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog hunter View Post
Try downhill skiing at whatever level you may be, you can be at one with nature and defy gravity all at the same time, i find it fullfilling,challenging, and rewarding
Doing it and love it. I'd love to heli but that's big money.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:02 PM

Awesome, i have been looking at some "cat skiing" in bc its cheaper than heliskiing and you can get more tree runs(sub alpine)
Old 06-28-2015, 07:47 PM

To the OP, i feel your pain. It started with a quad, and then another one for " mudding". But then 2 quads is not enough, you need a sled for the trails, and another for the mountains. And then you need a 26 foot tri-toon with a 200hp motor. But that is not enough. You need a 1200cc adventure bike, a 1000cc crotch rocket and another 800cc "fun bike". And then you need a side x side for the days you don't ride your 2 quads. And remember, you cannot drive a truck for more than 20,000km then its time for an upgrade, and don't forget the camper. Never mind the rifle collection!! If you find the cure for this sickness let me know. There is that empty spot that one tries to fill, and every time you think " this will fit that spot just perfect". Personally I think a Ford Mustang will fill that empty spot in my soul. ( till another empty spot develops)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
To the OP, i feel your pain. It started with a quad, and then another one for " mudding". But then 2 quads is not enough, you need a sled for the trails, and another for the mountains. And then you need a 26 foot tri-toon with a 200hp motor. But that is not enough. You need a 1200cc adventure bike, a 1000cc crotch rocket and another 800cc "fun bike". And then you need a side x side for the days you don't ride your 2 quads. And remember, you cannot drive a truck for more than 20,000km then its time for an upgrade, and don't forget the camper. Never mind the rifle collection!! If you find the cure for this sickness let me know. There is that empty spot that one tries to fill, and every time you think " this will fit that spot just perfect". Personally I think a Ford Mustang will fill that empty spot in my soul. ( till another empty spot develops)
I don't think you get it...I don't care about the car or the bike. It's about reliving the best parts of my youth. If I wanted to, I could go ahead and buy piles of junk to keep dealerships alive, but it's not the point.

Which brings me to another point, I'm not sure why you would want to take pot shots like this at someone as if you had any f***** clue what you're talking about. The only thing people like you know how to do is be sarcastic and negative because you havent any idea what self-reflection and individuation means.

Last edited by dumoulin; 06-28-2015 at 08:17 PM.