Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 09:51 AM

Default newb wants to get into bigger fish!

Hi all. Pretty new to flyfishing. Moved to Calgary a couple years ago, I had dabbled with casting flies to Pink salmon when I moved to BC. Haven't really been out a ton snice moving here except for the last 2 months. I went on one Bow float with a buddy and guide, and got a rainbow on a section that I got out to wade.

I've tried some stocked ponds near Canmore, some wadeable sections of the downtown section of the Bow, Fish Creek park, Elbow Lake, Picklejar Lakes, one short canyon section of the Highwood, as well as Cataract creek. I'd say the average size of fish I've pulled out has been maybe 10". The biggest was a 12-14" rainbow in FCP.

My 7wt rod from BC is collecting dust and I currently have an entry level 6wt. Needless to say, these small fish aren't really bending my rod much.

Sooo...

I want to get out this weekend and get into some meatier fish! I don't need a trophy 20" brown, but man catching something girthy or over 15" would be nice! Point me in the right direction! (I'm guessing it's generically Southwest)...I don't need a secret spot named, but whereever I go would preferably be within 1.5-2hrs of Calgary, and not require boat access or multi-hour hike in. I think I've read enough to realize the the alpine creeks are going to have smaller fish, correct? (ie. Cataract creek).

I've got a plan to go take pics of Barry Mitchell's book in the library since I can't find it for purchase anywhere, and I'm hoping there's some suggestions in there. I try and be up early to drive and get out before it gets hot. I've started walking way more quietly and stealthily than I used to. My casting is likely "alright to average". I'm using polarized glasses. I just can't seem to locate nicer fish. Suggestions on improvements or bodies of water to hit up
Old 08-11-2017, 10:37 AM

Keep going out and working the water. Casting ability is just the start to catching fish. Not sure what your ability is to present your flies in a drag-free, natural manner, but that is really the key to get into fish, bigger or smaller, on a consistent basis. If you don't have that ability in your bag, travelling to further spots won't get you much greater success. Being a Lower Mainland BC'er, I can tell you that success with pinks on the fly is no real learning tool to catching trout in flowing water. Fly fishing is a series of learning curves and plateaus and will not give up its answers without the requisite time.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:39 AM

7 wt is really heavy for Alberta trout fishing. You might try getting some steamers or big golden stone nymphs, and head out for some bulls in any of the major rivers in the SW of the province...or maybe take it out for some pike action?

If you have the 7 wt already, I'd really suggest a 4 wt before bothering with a 6 wt.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-11-2017, 11:43 AM

Pick any river and go chuck streamers, try to get them deep

or search the forum for pike spots around calgary, there are tons and your 7wt will do for most small to medium ones, use the biggest streamers you can cast.

you can also go chironomid fish kananaskis lakes

chester, carnarvon, Rawson, and a few other backcountry lakes also have some trout in the 15" + size range

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
Keep going out and working the water. Casting ability is just the start to catching fish. Not sure what your ability is to present your flies in a drag-free, natural manner, but that is really the key to get into fish, bigger or smaller, on a consistent basis. If you don't have that ability in your bag, travelling to further spots won't get you much greater success. Being a Lower Mainland BC'er, I can tell you that success with pinks on the fly is no real learning tool to catching trout in flowing water. Fly fishing is a series of learning curves and plateaus and will not give up its answers without the requisite time.
Amen! Big fish are big for a reason, they have the ability to spot even the slightest impurity in your cast and drift. Sometimes you only get 1 or 2 casts at these big fish before they shutdown, especially in the case of browns
Old 08-11-2017, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the tips guys.

As for rods - would a 4wt be appropriate for some of the higher reaches of the mountain creeks/streams?

I feel like I should have got a 5 instead of 6 after moving here, especially given that I have a 7
Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloken View Post

As for rods - would a 4wt be appropriate for some of the higher reaches of the mountain creeks/streams?

I feel like I should have got a 5 instead of 6 after moving here, especially given that I have a 7
yeah having both a 6 and 7 seems a little redundant, but then again I used to have that as well. Now I mainly use 3, 4, and 8wt rods.

I like my 10' 4wt for dries and nymphs, 8wt for streamers and lake fishing in BC, 6 foot 3wt for small creeks like cataract.

getting a 4 or 5 would be a good idea if you fish for trout. I'd recommend a shorter 4wt for small creeks where casts are under 40 feet, they're much nicer to carry in the bush and cast in tight spaces with

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:

I say the ideal quiver for Alberta is a 4wt, 6wt, and 8wt.

You want bigger fish, take that 7wt rod and start swinging streamers in the Bow. With the way the Bow river has been fishing, a 20" brown is completely possible.

With a floating line and 9' leader, cast straight out perpendicular to the current. Do a couple upstream mends while dead drifting (this will allow the fly to sink), then do a traditional swing.

In the mornings and evenings, take the 6wt and look for rising fish on the Bow. In a single day, I will deep nymph, toss streamers, and target rising fish. A 6wt can do it all.

For how many fish are in the Bow, it is a challenging river to fish. Keep at it though. Swinging streamers is relatively easy, and probably the best way to hook up with big fish.

A 4wt is great for mountain streams. I will also use it on the Bow river when casting ridiculously teeny flies.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:53 PM

Well...hit up a spot in the city last night. Skunked.

Came home from work, had a beer, accidentally fell asleep for a couple hours, then decided to go back to the same spot tonight. Brought my waterproof/glow in the dark flashlight (thankful for that/i dropped it in 2' of water)

Threw the ol reliable olive woolly bugger on and stripped it hard thru a seam where I had one rise and another aggressive jump a few minutes earlier...then BAM

Happy to report I landed my first brown trout, I'm thinking ~16-18", and good forearm burner!

yeww!

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/skollen/media/P1050668_zpswz4pwpmr.jpg.html"]

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/sk...aqmv2.jpg.html

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/sk...xbwwn.jpg.html

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/sk...rvugt.jpg.html

Last edited by sloken; 08-12-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:16 AM

Nice looking Brown. Congrats!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:34 AM
Banned

That's a beautiful looking Brown. Congrats. I recall reading an article years ago on catching pressured Browns at night. The author described much the same situation as your own so started fishing at night on the advice of a more experienced fly fisherman and suddenly found himself catching 16"-24" Browns by switching to night fishing.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:42 PM

thanks fellas. Went up to Chester Lake today and managed to get back down 1min before holy hell from the heavens poured down!

Anyways, got into some little cutties up there and solidified my decision to look at a 4wt rod for smaller creeks and lakes - the 6 was barely fun.

So on that note - can anyone recommend a ~$300 4wt that I should look at?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:

So on that note - can anyone recommend a ~$300 4wt that I should look at?
Fenwick Aetos is the best rod in that price range, by a country mile. $250 at Cabelas. Lightweight, very nicely finished and casts like a dream. Check out the numerous reviews on line. Others will chime in with Echo, TFO, Dragonfly, etc. I have each of those three, and while they are all good rods, in my opinion they don't hold a candle to the Aetos I received as a retirement gift. (actually a gift certificate that I translated into a rod that I researched fully). You can get it in a 9' from Cabelas, but if you search around other sources, it can be found in a 10' for the same price.