Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-08-2017, 08:31 AM

Default Your about to lose the privilege.

One land owner is very unhappy with garbage thrown on his property. The small chunk of road on the south side of Priarie Creek is private property. The landowner allows you to park. His daughter posts this to a Rocky Facebook account.

This is so out of my character and I am debating even posting this but I almost feel like I have to .
My grandfather lives outside of rocky on a farm , pretty much right on top of prairie creek . We are right off of quallys corner , right before the bridge .
We allow people to park at the end of our driveway so they have easy access to great fishing . we obviously have no say in the matter of where you can and cannot fish on the creek , but we do still own the land the driveway is on .

Please for the love of god if you're going to use this spot to park , clean your ****in **** up . I'm sick of walking down there and finding garbage , fish guts (catch and release guys) , smoke butts etc .
We are going to place a garbage can and a sign down there , so that hopefully this all stops .

We don't want to stop people from using the spot .

But If this keeps happening we're gonna have to . And I know ALOT of people in rocky enjoy being able to park there .

Whoever was there yesterday in a van , I have picked up your mcdonalds . You're welcome .

Keep your home clean for fudge sakes .
Old 08-08-2017, 08:34 AM

Disgusting, the few will wreck it for the many

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solominotaur View Post
Disgusting, the few will wreck it for the many
Always. Whether it's access, firearms, free speech, politics.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:06 AM

Thanks Don for bringing attention to it. Don, I'm no facebook expert but can you send me the link or page this is posted on? I would like to help the landowner out in any way I can.

My prediction, they will have to shut it down. The people that do this have zero respect for the environment and the footprint they leave. Also, sounds like it might be more than a few. Too bad for those that do it right. This is no different that what I experience about people wanting to use the creek on our land.

Edit: And when the do shut it down...I wish them good luck on trying to stop it then. In addition to be litter bugs, people that do this care nothing about private property signs or notice given. They will simply rip the signs down. That is the kind of mentality that does these things.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Thanks Don for bringing attention to it.

My prediction, they will have to shut it down. The people that do this have zero respect for the environment and the footprint they leave. Also, sounds like it might be more than a few. Too bad for those that do it right. This is no different that what I experience about people wanting to use the creek on our land.

Edit: And when the do shut it down...I wish them good luck on trying to stop it then. In addition to be litter bugs, people that do this care nothing about private property signs or notice given. They will simply rip the signs down. That is the kind of mentality that does these things.
True, I've been caught a couple times not realizing I was on private land( wandering up river focussing on fish not where I am haha) and when you look around and see trash everywhere it really breaks atleast my heart. I'd love to see even a few people just get nailed with some ticket for what they think is okay to do on other people's property

Old 08-08-2017, 12:34 PM

"We allow people to park at the end of our driveway so they have easy access to great fishing . we obviously have no say in the matter of where you can and cannot fish on the creek , but we do still own the land the driveway is on ."

I believe that as a landowner they have every right to stop people from fishing on their property. Unless the angler remains in the water at all times, they require the permission of the landowner to access land to fish.

I have a friend who has had similar issues on another creek in central Alberta. He has gone so far as to post signs reminding individuals to seek access if they are not planning to wade the river at all times.

People need to wake up and respect other peoples property. Its getting ridiculous.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga07 View Post
Unless the angler remains in the water at all times, they require the permission of the landowner to access land to fish.
An angler must remain below the high water mark of a body of water, not necessarily in the water. Except in rare circumstances, the Crown owns the land surrounding a water body from the high water mark to the actual water.

p.s. I do agree that angler respect has to improve in a great many cases.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:17 AM

I hate it when people throw their garbage around and disrespect the environment. I also hate seeing barbed wire fences and No Trespassing signs everywhere I go out west. Both make the environment look like sh**.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 AM

Yea, I'm sure you would love having people tracking back and forth through your property at any given time...

If you see somewhere you want to go through that has barbed wire with no trespassing signs, you can phone the owner and simply ask if you could go through. Just takes a tiny bit of effort.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
Yea, I'm sure you would love having people tracking back and forth through your property at any given time...

If you see somewhere you want to go through that has barbed wire with no trespassing signs, you can phone the owner and simply ask if you could go through. Just takes a tiny bit of effort.

I never said they didn't serve a purpose. I just don't like having to see them everywhere. Where do you find the phone number if they don't have it posted on the fence?
Old 08-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runewolf1973 View Post
I never said they didn't serve a purpose. I just don't like having to see them everywhere. Where do you find the phone number if they don't have it posted on the fence?
If you have the iHunter AB you can buy landowner maps for the area you are in.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Unhappy Trash

I realize that this is probably directed at those that already know but i always carry a trash bag with me as it takes up no room and pickup what I can on the way to and from a creek along with throwing stuff in my drifter on the river. I have never had a chance to fish Prairie as it a ways from home but sounds like a piece of heaven.... too bad a few ruin it for the many
Old 08-09-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
I realize that this is probably directed at those that already know but i always carry a trash bag with me as it takes up no room and pickup what I can on the way to and from a creek along with throwing stuff in my drifter on the river. I have never had a chance to fish Prairie as it a ways from home but sounds like a piece of heaven.... too bad a few ruin it for the many
I like that idea, I usually carry an old mint tin or whatever the shop is using to sell me flies to put cigarette butts in

Old 08-13-2017, 09:17 PM

Ken is a kind and generous man, and a true gentleman with a passion for that piece of water. He has put up with a lot over the years. Please respect what is, and isn't yours. As well the people to the south across from the old "cabin" are very nice as well.

Last edited by keeks; 08-13-2017 at 09:22 PM.