Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2015, 08:07 PM

Default HVAC Question

Hey guys,
im hoping someone can shed some light on how i have my HVAC/electrical set up in my house. i got two switches on my 2nd floor that turn my furnace fan on. which isn't a bad thing, but the odd part is one switch is in the bathroom and it also controls the vent fan as well, but its the only bathroom that does this. The master bath and powder room vent switch only controls the vent. any experts with ideas??

Cheers
Chris
Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 PM

It's a little something you can thank the building code for. It's called a primary exhaust fan, and essentially what it does is interlock your furnace blower to one of your main washroom exhaust fans. The goal behind this is to ensure the system is capable of providing the 3 air changes per hour outlined in the Canadian and Alberta building code.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:39 PM

I'm not an Hvac expert but I believe the fan in the main bathroom turns on the furnace fan in order to equalize the pressure in the house the hood fan over the stove may do the same thing
Old 06-28-2015, 08:42 PM

It can be interlocked to any number of things. Occasionally there is also an intake fan that will come on as well, ducted between am intake good and the furnace return air duct, and can also be a dedicated exhaust fan located centrally in the house. Typically though, builders just use the main washroom fan and the furnace blower as it does satisfy minimum code requirememt
Old 06-28-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
It can be interlocked to any number of things. Occasionally there is also an intake fan that will come on as well, ducted between am intake good and the furnace return air duct, and can also be a dedicated exhaust fan located centrally in the house. Typically though, builders just use the main washroom fan and the furnace blower as it does satisfy minimum code requirememt

hey thanks for the reply, just one of those things that made me wonder...