Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
I'm in cash but I don't feel particularly safe in the long run. This event could very well be big enough to put banks at risk and potentially cause a big financial reset.

And for those inclined to read too much into this. No I don't think banks are going to collapse in a few days or a month or even a few months. My concern is that this virus will reek havoc on economy for a year or more. The whipsaw battle between containing this virus and maintaining an economy and supply chain is going to be TOUGH based what I've observed over the last month. This virus spreads very efficiently and is more nasty than most are giving it credit for. Interesting to see a bunch of top Iranian officials are now confirmed infected. I foresee some instability in Iran as a lot of their leaders are in the older demographic. Concerning times.
I certainly won't cry if the virus claims some top Iranian terrorists, and if it claims some corrupt politicians as well, I won't cry over that either. The fact is that the markets were overvalued, and when you add in the corona virus, and the rail blockade, and lack of faith in our government, we have the perfect storm. And if our banks were to fail as a result, Trudeau would have the perfect opportunity to bring in the UN to take over.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
The DOW is a poor index to track, its the top 60 large US caps. You would want to be in a much broader index fund that tracks the Sp500 instead. Lots to chose from there. Vanguard, Spyder, Blackrock all have good options. Vanguard is probably the cheapest historically but I haven’t looked in a while. Another good option in my opinion for broad exposure and good management would be BRK.B.

If a guy is looking for a safe time to get back in focus on the level on the VIX. We need a week or so of it under 20 ish before all clear imo. Watch trading volumes. Wait for the selling pressure to exhaust itself. Be patient. Look back at 2008-09 period, market bottoms take time and don’t worry about missing a few points by trying to pick the bottom. This thing could be over next week or stretch over several months. Have some rules and a shopping list ready if you are looking at individual stocks. All just my opinions.
thanks!
Old 02-27-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
thanks!
No problem, your welcome.

This just pooped up, trading halt on TMX. Technical. Hmmm. Overloaded with sells and no bid lol.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:19 PM

This ought to calm markets. Now the White House is going to try and control the narrative on the virus. Taking a lesson from communist China now? Wow. This is a repeat of 1918-20. Same crap, different point in history.

From NY Post just now.

Government health officials and scientists will have to coordinate statements with the vice president’s office, one of three people designated as the administration’s primary coronavirus official.

WASHINGTON — The White House moved on Thursday to tighten control of coronavirus messaging by government health officials and scientists, directing them to coordinate all statements and public appearance with the office of Vice President Mike Pence, according to several officials familiar with the new approach.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:04 PM

The Trump Government doesn’t trust the news? Well that’s shocking.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-27-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
No. They don't trust their own officials or scientists to give the news outlets anything that doesn't jive with the governments spin on things. I think they call it censorship.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:20 PM

Ignore the 320 point drop on the TSX, it was down almost 600 points at the halt so we won't know the real level until they get trading going again. Haven't seen a glitch like this happen for quite a while.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I guess they need to buy the media, like the Trudeau government does. They provide funding to the companies that support them, and take away funding from anyone that doesn't support them.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:14 PM

Holy crap--Dow closed down 1190 pts, futures down 1350 pts. Wow, I wanted a low re-entry point at 22,000--didn't think it would be next week though!

Now, this is some scary stuff
Old 02-27-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Holy crap--Dow closed down 1190 pts, futures down 1350 pts. Wow, I wanted a low re-entry point at 22,000--didn't think it would be next week though!

Agreed this is pretty nutty on all scales....
Old 02-27-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:

I think your looking at the futures incorrectly. Think of them as a continuation of todays markets until the futures markets close for the day. So the afterhours is implying the market has continued to drop roughly another 160 points after hours, 1350-1190. Then look at the next session open for an idea of tomorrows start to trading.

Here's a breakdown of trading times.

https://www.cmegroup.com/trading-hours.html

Last edited by bdub; 02-27-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:56 PM

Looking at live streaming futures

https://www.investing.com/indices/indices-futures
Old 02-27-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Looking at live streaming futures

https://www.investing.com/indices/indices-futures
Yeah ubet. Its the same thing for NA. All the NA market futures are traded on the CME/CBOE. Foreign stock exchange futures are trading on their versions of futures exchanges like the Eurex and Euronext.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:11 PM

Yup. Definitely time to stock up on tinned goods, toilet paper, and ammunition if you haven't already. Some gold and silver bullion would be good too.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-27-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yup. Definitely time to stock up on tinned goods, toilet paper, and ammunition if you haven't already. Some gold and silver bullion would be good too.....
Smart man
Old 02-27-2020, 05:03 PM

Or we can invest in some funeral homes stocks. Since everyone is dropping dead from the virus, these guys are doing huge business!
Old 02-27-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Markets closed, down we go again, we'll see what The Donald has to say, shortly.

D.

Down we go again .....

D.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Smart man
Add some coal oil and some flint napping tools in there while you are at it.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Not scary. It’s just business. Markets go up and down. I’ve been investing since I was a teenager and have seen many ups and downs.

Anyone that can stand some volatility shouldn’t be in equity markets.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
This ought to calm markets. Now the White House is going to try and control the narrative on the virus. Taking a lesson from communist China now? Wow. This is a repeat of 1918-20. Same crap, different point in history.

From NY Post just now.

Government health officials and scientists will have to coordinate statements with the vice president’s office, one of three people designated as the administration’s primary coronavirus official.

WASHINGTON — The White House moved on Thursday to tighten control of coronavirus messaging by government health officials and scientists, directing them to coordinate all statements and public appearance with the office of Vice President Mike Pence, according to several officials familiar with the new approach.
Idiots.

No better way to drive fear into the markets than to ensure that no one trusts their government or knows what the heck their government is really doing. (Like telling everyone to stay calm and not to panic while the insiders are taking steps to protect themselves.)
Old 02-27-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Too late-Costco was off the hook busy. My normal 45 minutes in and out was over 90 minutes.
No sanitizer or masks, but lots of Blue Nitrile Gloves -$9.99 for 150 count
Got the tinned goods,ADR and chicken and beef Boullion

Actually spent more on liquor than I did on prepping.
Figured if this is how I go, might as well make it good

Last edited by omega50; 02-27-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Too late-Costco was off the hook busy. My normal 45 minutes in and out was over 90 minutes.
No sanitizer or masks, but lots of Blue Nitrile Gloves -$9.99 for 150 count
Got the tinned goods,ADR and chicken and beef Boullion

Actually spent more on liquor than I did on prepping.
Figured if this is how I go, might as well make it good
We always have reserve, and doubled up a couple weeks ago. Got 30 N95 masks from my supplier weeks ago. I am in good shape for apocalypse. Or, to just keep on as normal, it's all stuff we use anyway. Just more of it than normal in storage at the moment. Don't forget to fill your tanks and Jerry cans, propane bottles.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-27-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Not scary. It’s just business. Markets go up and down. I’ve been investing since I was a teenager and have seen many ups and downs.

Anyone that can stand some volatility shouldn’t be in equity markets.
I think you meant cant. Don't you worry about me, I am just fine. Glad you are invincible.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Idiots.

No better way to drive fear into the markets than to ensure that no one trusts their government or knows what the heck their government is really doing. (Like telling everyone to stay calm and not to panic while the insiders are taking steps to protect themselves.)
Yeah ubet. This just accelerated the panic selling as soon as it was widely known.

The trading halt on the TMX surprised me today. Haven’t seen that for a while.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:59 PM

TMX stoppage was due to a 'glitch'. Yeah. A glitch. That happens sometimes. Like, when the barn is burning and they close the doors to keep the horses from getting out....hmmm.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:12 PM

Just gotta know when to pull the pin when you are playing the market. Anybody who is still hangin on is in for another 10 percent at least before it settles. You've seen the pathetic 5 and 10 year g.i.c interest rates now you know why a one year term deposits had a better rate than some of the 10 year ones. I hung onto a couple just because they been good to me and actually have some real assets. Some of the stocks that are tanking didn't do much to deserve the big swing in share prices they have gotten. I think it was a product of people switching from rrsp and mutual funds to a stock based t.f.s.a that payed a dividend. Now is when those people learn what a stock market crash is all about. It's more about the value of the share than the little dividend you get.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I guess they need to buy the media, like the Trudeau government does. They provide funding to the companies that support them, and take away funding from anyone that doesn't support them.
Trump has that covered.....he's got Fox
Old 02-27-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Trump knows more about ____________ that anybody else and the experts …….. (fill in the blanks yourself). Trust him, He says it all the time.

Who needs experts when your that freaking smart and that much more superior to anyone else out there on any subject whatsoever.

The guy is a real beauty.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:44 PM
Banned

Lakeland industries. Makers of protective suits. LAKE on the Nasdaq.
Panic selling? No. Panic buying!
Old 02-28-2020, 05:17 AM

Ouch. Really really big ouch.....

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/5-...kly-slump-2008