Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-14-2020, 12:35 PM

Default Extended Choke Tube Crack

Was cleaning the shotgun and noticed my Patternmaster Code Black has a nasty crack developing. Has anyone else had an extended choke tube do this? I am always careful to not use flex or Flitecontrol wars through it. Scary to think what could have happened with a crack like that. Patternmaster does not handle warranty on Chokes from Canada but I was sent to a marketing company in QC for warranty. Choke tube is only 2 yeas old interesting to see how this plays out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2020, 12:40 PM

I run the same thing---what size ammo have you been using?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post

Was cleaning the shotgun and noticed my Patternmaster Code Black has a nasty crack developing. Has anyone else had an extended choke tube do this? I am always careful to not use flex or Flitecontrol wars through it. Scary to think what could have happened with a crack like that.

Try the Quebec company but if no joy call PatternMater again and talk to service. They will very likely send you a new Choke. That crack appears to be a manufacturing defect. Nothing should cause a choke to crack like that as long as you aren't using it in the wrong application, i.e. full choke lead choke and shooting steel through it. Never seen it before on a PatternMaster but have seen it on a Kicks.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:15 PM

I am always amazed at Dean2s information storage capacity!
The lady from QC was in touch with a return email and directions within a half hour and said she would be sending out a new choke but I was on the hook for shipping. Have been shooting BB’s through 6 shot. Found out 4-6 shot within 30 yards through a patternmaster goose is like throwing hand grenades. Absolutely devastating. I often load a 6 4 then BB if I am feeling like my life needs complicating lol. I actually really like Federal #6 low brass upland steel for the first shot when the birds are playing nice. At $10 a box retail for Federal Upland , with the amount I shoot $4 a box is worth the headaches of different open boxes.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
i am always amazed at dean2s information storage capacity!
The lady from qc was in touch with a return email and directions within a half hour and said she would be sending out a new choke but i was on the hook for shipping. Have been shooting bb’s through 6 shot. Found out 4-6 shot within 30 yards through a patternmaster goose is like throwing hand grenades. Absolutely devastating. I often load a 6 4 then bb if i am feeling like my life needs complicating lol. I actually really like federal #6 low brass upland steel for the first shot when the birds are playing nice. At $10 a box retail for federal upland , with the amount i shoot $4 a box is worth the headaches of different open boxes.
2.75". 3". 3.5" ?
Old 02-14-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I am always amazed at Dean2s information storage capacity!
The lady from QC was in touch with a return email and directions within a half hour and said she would be sending out a new choke but I was on the hook for shipping. Have been shooting BB’s through 6 shot. Found out 4-6 shot within 30 yards through a patternmaster goose is like throwing hand grenades. Absolutely devastating. I often load a 6 4 then BB if I am feeling like my life needs complicating lol. I actually really like Federal #6 low brass upland steel for the first shot when the birds are playing nice. At $10 a box retail for Federal Upland , with the amount I shoot $4 a box is worth the headaches of different open boxes.
I used to carry different loads, but it seemed that if I had the smaller shot loaded, the geese didn't finish, so I now carry only #2 and it works well for ducks and geese. I do carry extra chokes and I do usually have a spare gun along, in case a situation like that cracked choke occurs. There is no way that I would fire a shotgun with that damaged choke. And hopefully, your choke cracking is an isolated incident, because I use exactly the same choke, but the invector plus, rather than Benelli.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
2.75". 3". 3.5" ?
2-3/4” to 3” I would shoot 3.5” if I found some that patterned well for a reasonable price but I have yet to find a good pattern with a 3.5” since I quit shooting my old Mossberg 835 pump! There is a theory out there that with a full choke you can open your patterns with a 2-3/4” for close shots I don’t know if that’s true or not but I do know smaller shot works better for me up close but it’s very messy with head shots due to all the blood.

Elkhunter11 pretty sure it’s an isolated incident as I have never heard of it happening before but it’s a good thing to have in the memory bank as I would have never thought to inspect the choke every time I shoot with it. Now that I know this can happen I will definitely be inspecting it before every hunt.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
2-3/4” to 3” I would shoot 3.5” if I found some that patterned well for a reasonable price but I have yet to find a good pattern with a 3.5” since I quit shooting my old Mossberg 835 pump! There is a theory out there that with a full choke you can open your patterns with a 2-3/4” for close shots I don’t know if that’s true or not but I do know smaller shot works better for me up close but it’s very messy with head shots due to all the blood.

Elkhunter11 pretty sure it’s an isolated incident as I have never heard of it happening before but it’s a good thing to have in the memory bank as I would have never thought to inspect the choke every time I shoot with it. Now that I know this can happen I will definitely be inspecting it before every hunt.
From what I have seen, a lighter shot charge often makes a tighter pattern in the same choke. Some people attribute this to the shorter shot column.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:12 AM

Default Do you

Want another Patternmaster choke? I had one and got rid of it after one season.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:37 AM

Had a look at my code black goose last night. No cracks. 3-3.5” #2-BBB
Old 02-15-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Want another Patternmaster choke? I had one and got rid of it after one season.
I decided to try one after an outfitter friend told me how well they were working for his clients, and for himself, and I am impressed with the pattern , all the way to 50 yards. The tighter pattern does cause issues for some people at very close range, but I like the tighter pattern, and find it to be an advantage for head/neck shots.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:36 AM

Well that was fast, my new choke tube arrived today. Still out $30 for shipping but better then nothing.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:05 AM

Glad you got the choke tube but I think I would still be asking them to cover the postage. Does not seem right that you should have any cost attached to something that is a manufacturing defect. That said, you have had it 2 years, so since it is over a year then maybe postage isn't a bad deal because most places wouldn't cover one older than a year at all.

All in, at least you got a replacement choke and they do work very well.