Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2019, 11:57 AM

Default Bradley digital smoker in the basement

Has anyone rigged up their bradley smoker in the basement pros cons I’m thinking of hooking mine up. Share your pics if you have
Old 01-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x6x6 View Post
Has anyone rigged up their bradley smoker in the basement pros cons I’m thinking of hooking mine up. Share your pics if you have
You open that door and you will have the smell of smoke everywhere in your house. I personally cant see that being the best idea.. Handy though!!!
Old 01-10-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Your flipping kidding right? You best be single, most wives are not fond of the whole house smelling like smoke. Even assuming you vent it outside you will have smoke smell every time you open the door on the smoker. Also, are you going to install a sprinkler system in case of a grease fire and are you going to have video monitoring so you can watch it full time?

Smokers are meant to be used outside. They aren't built or tested for indoor applications. I can guarantee your insurance won't cover any damage or fire if you have one of those in the house. Really strikes me as a bad idea.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Mostly cons on this one. No matter how well you vent it you are going to smoke up your basement and probably the rest of the house everytime you open the smoker door. Unless you have a sealed room maybe? Maybe a forced air vent to the outside would work. I vented mine in my garage and it still smells like smoke in there! Not sure on insurance implications if your house went up as a result of the smoker.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 PM

I wouldn't even put one on my deck.

Grizz
Old 01-10-2019, 12:28 PM

I think it's a great idea. Let me know how it works for ya.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Insurance would say you put a what?? in your basement
Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 PM

This can never be a winning scenario. LOL.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:40 PM

I tried it in my garage with the welder evac system right on top of the vent. If I turned the fan on it sucked all the heat out of the smoker. Without the fan the shutters would not open.

It will bring tears to your eyes in more ways than 1.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-10-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
It's January 10, 2019.................this is the post of the year lol
Old 01-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
It's January 10, 2019.................this is the post of the year lol
Yup! Going to be really hard to beat this one.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:37 PM

You will be fine, just send it!

Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Banned

I so much wish I could find a old SNL commercial called "Bad Idea Jeans"

Seems this idea would be a excellent addition to it.

For this that have seen it, we are OLD!!!
Old 01-10-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Call your insurance and ask how it would work.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
You could also move your BBQ into your kitchen!
Old 01-10-2019, 02:50 PM

I don’t see how it’s a crazy idea and I’m sure I’m not the only one to think of it. I purely asked a simple question. I have done a little google searching and there are a few posts and pictures of guys that have done it. I was simply asking if anyone on here have done it, and I’m sure there are but after the smart ass responses will not post. I’m new to electric smoking having used charcoal for the past 15 years. There are plenty of indoor smokers avail on the retail market.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:58 PM

And please explain how it would be any different than having it in a garage shop or shed. It is still inside. How many of you are using it in an attached garage. I didn’t say I was going to do I was wondering if it was possible.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
And please explain how it would be any different than having it in a garage shop or shed. It is still inside. How many of you are using it in an attached garage. I didn’t say I was going to do I was wondering if it was possible.
Do you live in a garage or shed?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I don’t see how it’s a crazy idea and I’m sure I’m not the only one to think of it. I purely asked a simple question. I have done a little google searching and there are a few posts and pictures of guys that have done it. I was simply asking if anyone on here have done it, and I’m sure there are but after the smart ass responses will not post. I’m new to electric smoking having used charcoal for the past 15 years. There are plenty of indoor smokers avail on the retail market.

Go for it and post your results. People here know what will happen, but you don't seem to want to hear it? You know smokers have vents out the top right? Where do you suppose all the smoke will go?

I am guessing you have not used a smoker before? The smoke that comes out when you open the door is not a nice gentle little 'ahhhh' that makes you want to lick the racks, it burns the eyes, throat, nose for quite some time.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Go for it and post your results. People here know what will happen, but you don't seem to want to hear it? You know smokers have vents out the top right? Where do you suppose all the smoke will go?

I am guessing you have not used a smoker before? The smoke that comes out when you open the door is not a nice gentle little 'ahhhh' that makes you want to lick the racks, it burns the eyes, throat, nose for quite some time.
I have listened to the ones that have given helpful answers I don’t however enjoy the sarcasm. I have smoked outdoors with charcoal and yes I know there’s a bellow of smoke that comes out. My question was if anyone has figured out a way to be able to use indoors with proper ventilation and ducting to vent smoke outdoors. Nothing more.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I have listened to the ones that have given helpful answers I don’t however enjoy the sarcasm. I have smoked outdoors with charcoal and yes I know there’s a bellow of smoke that comes out. My question was if anyone has figured out a way to be able to use indoors with proper ventilation and ducting to vent smoke outdoors. Nothing more.
Fair enough. I think if you were to use a bathroom fan or similar with a firesafe 4-6" ducted hose out a window or somehow vented outside you may be ok. You would have to shut it off and have the fan draw all the smoke out before you could open the door.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:45 PM

I built an enclosure for mine; it's like a small shack on stilts. I have about 4"" of clearance all around my Bradley Smoker and it's at a comfortable height that I can load and unload the racks without crouching or stretching. It has a peaked shingled roof with screening under the eaves to dispel the smoke. I also made a small table that hinges just underneath the door for loading and unloading foodstuffs. It sits outside of the side entry door to my garage. No smoky smell in the house; Happy Wife, Happy Life!
Old 01-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Of course you can build a place for a smoker in the basement. The question is, is this going to be a cowboy hack job with bathroom fans and dryer hose or are you going to go all out with exhaust fans make up air and commercial welded kitchen ductwork stainless hoods permits and inspections of the work? It would be no different than venting one of the many commercial bbq Kitchens. Now it would be far far far cheaper to just build some sort of outdoor covered deck than going the commercial route. But who knows I’ve installed some pretty crazy hvac systems in my day maybe the op has a lust for smoked brisket tasty candied hams smoked Sasuage delights and has a very nice house.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
You need to lighten up a bit. Internet forums get all kinds of posts that are just an attempt to troll.

This is not a good idea. At all. My Bradley Smoker is sitting in my garage and just the smoker itself makes the whole place stink like a campfire. There is no way to do what you are asking without your whole house smelling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2019, 05:39 PM
Banned

I had a bradley almost burn down into a puddle,,,nuff
said, do a google search, there are pictures of several of them burnt down
Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Im just stuck on coming up with one reason to have it inside in the first place....

Outside is bigger....more room
Old 01-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Anyone know of a meat shop with an indoor smoker?
I've not been in a lot of meat shops, so I havent seen an indoor one.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Anyone know of a meat shop with an indoor smoker?
I've not been in a lot of meat shops, so I havent seen an indoor one.
Rupert Meats in Rupert had a good sized commercial one going. I can promise you it wasn't a Bradley. It is possible I guess. Not practical in the least though.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Of course you can build a place for a smoker in the basement. The question is, is this going to be a cowboy hack job with bathroom fans and dryer hose or are you going to go all out with exhaust fans make up air and commercial welded kitchen ductwork stainless hoods permits and inspections of the work? It would be no different than venting one of the many commercial bbq Kitchens. Now it would be far far far cheaper to just build some sort of outdoor covered deck than going the commercial route. But who knows I’ve installed some pretty crazy hvac systems in my day maybe the op has a lust for smoked brisket tasty candied hams smoked Sasuage delights and has a very nice house.
Good one. Guys watch some cooking shows and yes they have commercial smokers inside. Big time venting and not just some drier hose out the top with bathroom fans. Is he willing to spend the price to put in a commercial suction fan and over head cowling so when you open the door all smoke gets vented out. And what size room and space will it be in. To me not worth unless you got deep pockets. Money spent could be used to put on a new built deck with a spot built for your smoker, specially built. Have a friend that will build you a smoker. For the right price. $$$$ and you will never need another. Sorry for the con.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Good one. Guys watch some cooking shows and yes they have commercial smokers inside. Big time venting and not just some drier hose out the top with bathroom fans. Is he willing to spend the price to put in a commercial suction fan and over head cowling so when you open the door all smoke gets vented out. And what size room and space will it be in. To me not worth unless you got deep pockets. Money spent could be used to put on a new built deck with a spot built for your smoker, specially built. Have a friend that will build you a smoker. For the right price. $$$$ and you will never need another. Sorry for the con.
A covered outdoor kitchen with a Smoker, a grill, a fridge, running water... OH MY!! That would be fun. Why not add in a wood fired Pizza oven at the same time. and a Fireplace... Forget the Man cave, I want the man deck!! And a fireplace!! A TV of course. Sound system. Hmmmm..