Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2018, 12:06 PM

Default Converting a Merc 20hp to 25hp

I think I have the answer from my friend Google but was hoping someone on here had actually done it.

I have a 1992 Merc 20hp short shaft 2-stroke that I recently bought off the original owner. The thing is in great shape and like new under the hood. It also runs awesome.

Looking online I see the specs for that vintage of 20hp 2-stroke are the same as the 25hp model. Does anyone know if I just need to change out the carb or is there other exhaust tube modifications that I need to make in order to make it a 25?

Like I said, I’ve done the Google thing but I’m getting conflicting information so I was hoping that someone had actually done the mod.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:32 PM

I'm not familiar with the Merc's, but with some of the OMC's, you would sometimes just have to swap a/ the carb. Sometimes you would have to work on the porting and the reeds
Old 10-27-2018, 08:18 AM

A bigger carb would be a start. Would probably need to modify to a slightly larger bore and head work.
I had a older 115hp merc that was just a modified 90hp, 3 carbs instead of two and I believe the bore and heads were modified also. Just the way Merc did it back then.

Dam could that thing pull water skiers on a 16 ft boat. 6 skiers up one time out of the water after it had a dyno tune up.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.