Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
having worked for the Butler family for 3 years as well as UFA for 2 years after the purchase I would have to say you are grossly misinformed. The Butlers not only knew and grew the business over the years but they also embraced staff customers and suppliers for the general success of the business.
UFA decided they had a better model and treated suppliers, customers as well as staff like shat. I often sold $5,000 to $10,000 worth of quality guns on some days when the customers were lined up to buy while under the Butlers. UFA stocked whatever they wanted generally cheaper quality because it had a higher mark up. We had many conversations with middle and senior management about failure to stock items customers were asking for and requests were pretty much ignored or WSS purchase orders were heavily trimmed by UFA staff when seeking approval. Apparently a company that fails to see the difference between selling black and red binder twine cannot see a difference in stocking a variety of reloading powder so we often turned away customers with cash in hand because UFA wanted to dictate terms to suppliers who often experienced payment delays.
Last time I saw Brad we joked about buying it back for 10 cents on the dollar and restoring it to a profitable gold mine of a business in less time than it took UFA to run it into the ground.
There were issues you probably never saw. Their Accounting, Stock, all their back end systems were a complete disaster. They had so much missing stock, or could not tell you what stock was where. I don't think it ever got better but it was unreal how bad it was. There was so much stuff that was somewhere, but never found. People didn't want to touch their systems with a 100 foot pole.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:10 PM

Default If by stock and accounting you mean inventory

We could pretty much say that about any general retail business that has endured 20 years in Calgary perhaps Canada. Manual accounting systems do not account for every article brought in or lost due to theft, shoplifting breakage or mysterious disappearance. there was no reason to ever do 100% inventory tracking each item unless you were dealing in diamonds or other high value items. gun inventory was decent but then again a thief discovered missing inventory would not be noticed for months which for them was not quite long enough. Until the advent of detailed computer inventory systems there was no need to track each item so of course items shown in stock could have been sold returned to a supplier or disappeared a year earlier. Even with computerized inventories I have seen systems circumvented as the results are very dependent on the quality of the input. Many new employees while I was there (even under UFA) were instructed for customer service (getting them out in a timely manner) that if you couldnt find the actual items sku number but had a price tag amount to use a general hunting or fishing code to facilitate the sale rather than keep a customer waiting. Garbage in garbage out.
When UFA took over they paid an actual inventory accounting company to record every item available so the purchase was based on factual inventory not phantom items presumed to be on site. I know as I was one of the senior people helping them find and electronically record every item with the proper sku. Didnt help them one bit but of course it is easier to blame the past owners mess than admit they ran it into the ground.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Same here. Always enjoyed shopping there.

Every time I drive past the empty WSS store, I make a silent wish that it would come back again.

And the Edmonton North side store is now a Peavey Mart!
Old 04-06-2019, 08:14 PM

Default Wss

The former store in Lethbridge is now a wine store.
Sure miss WSS
Old 04-06-2019, 08:44 PM

Sure miss a south end fishing store. I thought it was bad before at times. Didnt realize so much now that I have to drive up north for pretty much anything out of the norm at Crappy Tire. Soon maybe loosing another.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:19 PM

I really wish I could have made it back to town before they closed to buy a wholesale sports hat as a souvenir.
I liked it there. Probably did the majority of my outdoors shopping there.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I really wish I could have made it back to town before they closed to buy a wholesale sports hat as a souvenir.
I liked it there. Probably did the majority of my outdoors shopping there.
The hats were probably out of stock.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
The hats were probably out of stock.
And out of date....like this thread
Old 07-03-2023, 09:49 PM

Since this thread got bumped...

I did get about 10 wholesale sports hats in an auction.
No human head is the right shape for these hats.