Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
If you mean scoping with any optics other than the one on your gun, no problem. We all do it and it's part of the game. But scoping with a riflescope is very dangerous and should absolutely never be done, as you're pointing a weapon at a person potentially, or otherwise at game you have no idea if you should shoot yet or not.
My mistake GLASSING
Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Attention Anti Hunters

Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Guys who shoot from trucks out the window are criminals, not hunters.
Guys who chase coyotes on skidoos.... What are they called?

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Sorry Randy, I just dont buy this argument anymore.

Good conversation about ways to make our sport better and bringing up things that need to change can only work to improve our image. Sitting back and saying nothing about tresspassing, illegal activites and things that potentially hurt our image dont do anything to stop these things. Anti hunting proponents will always be anti hunting and I dont really give a damn what they think. Fix our image to the general public by not being slobs and idiots and calling those out that are, will do more than worrying about what a small group think. Support groups like SCI, AFGA and they will deal wth the so called anti groups and by doing both these things I think you will see alot less anti hunti sentiment from the general public.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 PM

Gee...you guys make it sound like a bad thing! lol
Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Sorry Randy, I just dont buy this argument anymore.

Good conversation about ways to make our sport better and bringing up things that need to change can only work to improve our image. Sitting back and saying nothing about tresspassing, illegal activites and things that potentially hurt our image dont do anything to stop these things. Anti hunting proponents will always be anti hunting and I dont really give a damn what they think. Fix our image to the general public by not being slobs and idiots and calling those out that are, will do more than worrying about what a small group think. Support groups like SCI, AFGA and they will deal wth the so called anti groups and by doing both these things I think you will see alot less anti hunti sentiment from the general public.
Great.

Now back to the Op's story....

Other than fail to hunt to the OP's liking, what in hell did this guy do that was wrong????

If he did something wrong, and the OP saw it, report it and follow thru.

If not, it's just a BS thread about someone who hunts different than the OP.

( now we sit and wait for the rest of the story)
Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Great.

Now back to the Op's story....

Other than fail to hunt to the OP's liking, what in hell did this guy do that was wrong????

If he did something wrong, and the OP saw it, report it and follow thru.

If not, it's just a BS thread about someone who hunts different than the OP.

( now we sit and wait for the rest of the story)
x2.

If you hunt within the legal parameters of the province, including its ethical guidelines… you're automatically a friend of mine, I say. Who cares what specific approach you take to hunting, as long as it's in line with the regs…

Go ahead folks, flame me.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgesmith View Post
Maybe I should have put the spot light on him, but I would have to been in my truck to do that.
What do you do with the spotlight in the truck? JK

But seriously do we not all in a way "road hunt"? I know I do, I am always on the lookout for game as I guess all of you are too.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
But seriously do we not all in a way "road hunt"? I know I do, I am always on the lookout for game as I guess all of you are too.
As do I. Just a few weeks ago I blew past a badger trotting along the shoulder… If I hadn't been going 110 and on a gravel road I would have stopped and chased after it. But then I would have been "road hunting" and we all know that's the work of the devil!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Gone Hunting

To all of the Holier Than Thou heroes on here, I am out everyday that a hunting season is open in Alberta and more, do I road "hunt?", damn right!, this time of year by the time the rig is shut down I have 15-30 mins. of legal light left, I take the back roads until it is too dark to see, then head for the highway, I see some animals, make note of where they are, and if I'm interested contact the land owner the next day, there is not a single person on here that hasn't road hunted in some form or another...so...please, stop trying to make your selves sound so high and mighty, all you are doing is showing your lack of tolerance and experience
Old 11-08-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
To all of the Holier Than Thou heroes on here, I am out everyday that a hunting season is open in Alberta and more, do I road "hunt?", damn right!, this time of year by the time the rig is shut down I have 15-30 mins. of legal light left, I take the back roads until it is too dark to see, then head for the highway, I see some animals, make note of where they are, and if I'm interested contact the land owner the next day, there is not a single person on here that hasn't road hunted in some form or another...so...please, stop trying to make your selves sound so high and mighty, all you are doing is showing your lack of tolerance and experience
100 percent correct. The whole my way is better than your way is ridiculous. I trophy hunt. It does not mean I look Down upon meat hunters. At the end of the day if you are fortunate enough to harvest an animal you are happy with and did it legally, you are a hunter. Whether you locate it from a truck or a treestand or whatever. Most guys that know a thing or two about hunting get this with the obvious exception of the arrogant ones. I love hiking or setting up on hills watching mule deer. I love baiting bear. I love sitting in a blind for turkey. I love driving around looking for deer or whatever I happen to be hunting. If someone saw me and labeled me a truck hunter I would laugh. They see 5 minutes and judge a hunter because of their own arrogant views. Its pretty pathetic and it is no contest. There is no prize for walking 30 miles a day. If you enjoy walking 30 miles a day great. That's awesome that you enjoyed your hunt. In reality you are no better than the guy who drove all day if he enjoyed his hunt. WAY tooo many people have lost sight of what hunting is all about

Last edited by huntingd; 11-08-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:21 AM

I'll start this post of by apologizing to those I offended with my post, if I offended anyone. I guess what I consider a "road hunter" is different than a lot of ppl soo far that ive read. I wasn't trying to spotlight everyone who drives around in a truck during hunting season.. We all do it, we all see animals in a field, pull over and give them a good look over with binoculars. I've spent time driving from one area to another to get out and push bush. Basically theres a good percentage of us that follow the rules no matter how we hunt.. But when I see a guy flying through privately owned land in his trucking drifting from side to side chasing deer i get mad.. That's permission that gets taken away from the rest of us.. The guys that have their gun hanging out the window scoping any thing they sees from their truck, Stomping on the brakes, too flinging rocks everywhere as they put their foot to the floor to chase them.. So many land owners i talk to are soo leery about access now just because of these few.. i was just ranting and again i do apologize to those that i may have offended
Old 11-09-2013, 07:45 AM

I'm a new hunter this year and I can understand why some people road hunt. It's obviously just me but I have yet to see a single deer in the bush and as I don't have a quad I have done alot of walking in the bush.

Every single whitetail or mulie I have seen has been on the side of the road, go figure. After nine straight weekends I saw a whitetail on the side of the road that did not spook. I got out, got my rifle, went to aim, and a guy drove up to talk to me "why you standing on the side of the road with a gun in your hands", I answer "well, I was just about to shoot that deer over there but it's gone now".

Road hunt away where legal, just use respect, safety and common sense. /shrug
Old 11-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toromir View Post
For a new hunter, sounds like you got it figured out pretty good. Congrats and good luck this season.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Gone Hunting

What we need is a new way of describing a behavior that all hunters should hate with a passion.

That being, the shooting from, across or along a public, regularly maintained government owned road, with a high powered rifle.
Or the scouting for game from a public road, then shooting at it on land to which the so called hunter has no right of access.

We all know that is what is meant by the term road hunting, but far to many so called Alberta Outdoorsman seem to want to make road hunting something else, so if they won't change their definition then we must.

If we do not change the definition of the illegal activity we are trying to discuss here, we will continue to hit a brick wall every time we try to discuss it. And the problem will continue to grow.

Why supposedly honest upstanding gentleman would sit ideally by and allow this situation to continue is beyond me.

We all know that illegal road hunting is a huge problem, yet some insist on derailing any conversation about this problem by insisting that road hunting is legal.

Of course spotting game while driving is legal, we all know that. Of course spot and stalk from a vehicle is legal. We all know that.

It almost looks like some people want the illegal types of road hunting to continue.

We absolutely have to find a way to prevent illegal road hunters (Poachers) from hiding behind the guise of legal forms of road hunting.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 AM

Road Hunter!!
*raises hand and points to himself

It can be fun to burn around with a few buddies looking for game, cracking jokes and rippin on each other. That has good time written all over it. Why wouldn't you do it? Nothing wrong with cruising down lease roads and back roads and taking a few chickens as the opportunity arises. Or coyotes. Deer, moose, whatever you're after. Heater hunting at it's best!!!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I'm a new hunter this year and I can understand why some people road hunt. It's obviously just me but I have yet to see a single deer in the bush and as I don't have a quad I have done alot of walking in the bush.

Every single whitetail or mulie I have seen has been on the side of the road, go figure. After nine straight weekends I saw a whitetail on the side of the road that did not spook. I got out, got my rifle, went to aim, and a guy drove up to talk to me "why you standing on the side of the road with a gun in your hands", I answer "well, I was just about to shoot that deer over there but it's gone now".

That's a great answer! And a great attitude.

I understand your frustration, and if you lived anywhere close to me I'd be happy to help you with learning to find and harvest Deer.
LOL Even thought that would be a wee bit of the blind leading the blind.

It is true that finding game from a roadway can be effective and there are legal ways to harvest game found in this way.
But there are more productive, less stressful, less costly ways to find game.

I know for me learning how to find game was a problem. My dad taught me to hunt Moose, but he knew nothing about hunting Deer.
Deer were pretty much non existent in this area when I was young.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
Road Hunter!!
*raises hand and points to himself

It can be fun to burn around with a few buddies looking for game, cracking jokes and rippin on each other. That has good time written all over it. Why wouldn't you do it? Nothing wrong with cruising down lease roads and back roads and taking a few chickens as the opportunity arises. Or coyotes. Deer, moose, whatever you're after. Heater hunting at it's best!!!

Thanks for adding a brick to the wall.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2013, 11:23 AM

Red face

Quote:

I agree. And this year is no exception trying to find deer, ANYWHERE!! The land that I have permission to hunt on in the past have had scads of whitetail however this year, I have only seen maybe 5 total and all have been yearlings at best. Im guessing that the winter that lasted until May of this year had something to so with it. I'm getting off topic here….
Old 11-09-2013, 11:36 AM

Can someone explain the difference between Hunting and driving around hoping to shoot something ?

Seems to me the two terms have different meanings but are often linked together.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Banned

I guess the question is...
Why such hatred?
Old 11-09-2013, 04:56 PM

It's not hatred of road hunting .. it's simply a supreme p o for many of us that a small minority of road "hunters" are causing the biggest majority of the problems for landowners and other hunters. For example, open gates, or even closed for that matter or vehicle tracks in a field or unfenced or unposted land, all seem to be an open invitation for them enter. Also, I rather doubt that the guys hunting on foot or off-road are the ones blasting road signs, granaries. field machinery, livestock, farm pets etc.. to name just a few of thier freakin' atrocities.

Unfortunately, it seems that all those who hunt from the roads undeservingly get tarred with the same brush. Thats just the way it is.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Banned

Be mad at those breaking the law. You grouping Road hunters in with law breakers is no better than grouping hunters with pochers.
Just cause it's different than how you do it, doesn't make it wrong.

Jamie
Old 11-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Be mad at those breaking the law. You grouping Road hunters in with law breakers is no better than grouping hunters with pochers.
Just cause it's different than how you do it, doesn't make it wrong.

Jamie
True, right now I am sitting in my improvised ground blind since I walked into my spot this morning on a 1/4 of my buddy's to my ground blind that was gone, no one else had permission, had to be one of the "perfect" foot hunters eh?, way too far off the road for those dastardly road hunters....
Old 11-09-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
It's not hatred of road hunting .. it's simply a supreme p o for many of us that a small minority of road "hunters" are causing the biggest majority of the problems for landowners and other hunters. For example, open gates, or even closed for that matter or vehicle tracks in a field or unfenced or unposted land, all seem to be an open invitation for them enter. Also, I rather doubt that the guys hunting on foot or off-road are the ones blasting road signs, granaries. field machinery, livestock, farm pets etc.. to name just a few of thier freakin' atrocities.

Unfortunately, it seems that all those who hunt from the roads undeservingly get tarred with the same brush. Thats just the way it is.

See above. I,m not the one lumping them together. Maybe it's many of the landowners who dread the thought of opening day, or maybe it's hunters who spent some pre-season time and effort to gain hunting access only to get a set-up busted by some idiot truck jock. As stated, they are a small minority with a huge hammer and we all pay the price. Ask me if I'm PO'd. Yep. I really am.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
True, right now I am sitting in my improvised ground blind since I walked into my spot this morning on a 1/4 of my buddy's to my ground blind that was gone, no one else had permission, had to be one of the "perfect" foot hunters eh?, way too far off the road for those dastardly road hunters....
Try real hard not to take things out of context. I'm sure you can do it.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Thanks for adding a brick to the wall.

You are very welcome. Thanks for keeping an open mind
Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 PM

Well I'm back at deer camp right now, from a day of "road hunting" I was fortunate enough to go out for a weekend hunt with my father and my uncle both who are in there late 60's they have almost a hundred years of hunting experience between the both of them but as you get older you can't walk as far as they used to and can't handle the cold as well. It's great driving around from bush to bush field to field spotting and stalking animals bullsh*ting having a laugh and a couple special coffees,that you have permission on, you can cover a lot of ground , today's count of animals seen: 15 moose 5 were bulls, around 30 mule deer , 20 whitetail , 5 coyotes, countless sharp tail.... That's just this morning, but anyways I better get to sleep I'm going for a walk Tommorow morn while the old guys go for a cruise! Road hunters who shoot out there window give the road warriors a bad name !
Old 11-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post

In most conversations I have heard, and stories I have read, hunting in the context of harvesting wildlife, seems to refer to the complete act. Not just scouting, or stalking, or spotting, but the search for, discovery of and harvesting of game.

Whereas when the subject is other then the taking of wildlife, hunting seems to refer only to the search for something.

Perhaps that is why so many seem to lump scouting for game using a vehicle with the term, road hunting.

Off the net there seems to be no such confusion.
In conversions with co-workers, friends, neighbors, and hunting companions, and in written stories about hunting, the term road hunting seems to only be used to describe illegal hunting activity involving vehicles and roads.

Why it seems so impossible to separate the legal activity from illegal, is bewildering.

Do people in other areas really refer to driving to work as hunting, if they see game on the way and make note of such for the purpose of hunting that game at another time?
Do they really refer to the trip to their hunting area, as hunting, if they see game on the way?
Do they call transporting their harvest hunting, if they use a vehicle?

The only lumping together I am seeing is coming from those who object to the common definition of road hunting.
Or at least it's the common definition among the people I know.

And maybe that is why we have this problem. Maybe other people do call it hunting if it in any way involves the quest for and or harvesting of game.

I for one would be happy to use another term to describe the illegal use of vehicles to assist in hunting activity, if there were another term.

I am not aware of any such term nore does any possible alternative come to mind.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

I for one would be happy to use another term to describe the illegal use of vehicles to assist in hunting activity, if there were another term.

I am not aware of any such term nore does any possible alternative come to mind.
Poaching
Old 11-10-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Thats a heavy opinion with a wide brush. It must chap your behind when native subsistence hunters road hunt as well eh?

I think anyone saying a road hunter is not a hunter should really just go sign up to a forum where there is just the "Elite Hunter" group that walk around with a Holy Grail that only the best of the best can drink from.

I do both.. ive biked 5 kms to hike another km in 936... just to cart out meat . Ive sat in a cutline, a field, a blind, driven roads finding new areas to check out whether walk or drive around and do a combat roll out the door to take a doe for sausage. Doesnt mean im any less of a person or a hunter.

What i dont like... is the road/truck hunters driving around with loaded guns..barrels out windows...shooting off truck mirrors. Checking field with thier scope instead of binos.

In the end its all legal to road hunt or walk a cutline. Hunters attacking hunters because of thier method of choice is just more fuel for the antis. If it bothers you that much...go buy some private land.

Ah well, three days of solid hunting coming up...wooohooo. two days in my blind........ and one day...driving around ... in a totally new to me area exploring...oh no.
Excellent response.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 AM

What I don’t understand is the need to use the term hunting for any illegal activities? Why label fellow outdoorsmen that hunt legally with poachers?

There are rants on here weekly of people who seem to exaggerate stories to make it seem like something with the details give at the time is wrong. Everyone entitled to an opinion and by rights should have one but as outdoorsmen we need to start sucking it up if it’s not your way. Hunters hunting however they choose as long as it’s legal should be called hunters. If it’s illegal they are poachers, it’s pretty simple.

I bet most if not everyone has a cell phone, program this number 1-800-642-3800 and report the poachers. Here is the website with a little checklist of the details that you should try to get.http://www.reportapoacher.com/index....ort-a-poacher/

Alberta Bigbore and huntinstuff posts were bang on