Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 PM

Default Importing a vehicle from US (Suzuki Samurai)

I’d like to bring home a 1988 Suzuki’s Samurai from Arizona this spring. Has anyone ever brought a Suzuki across? The governments website couldn’t be any less clear on whether or not these can be imported into Canada. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Sportsman; 01-14-2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Title
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Wish they sold these in North America, the latest version of the Samurai, Jimny! https://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/2019-s...review-1955640
Old 01-14-2019, 09:20 PM

Default Importing

Yes, I’d like to bring up a 1988 tin top model if allowed.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:23 PM

They have a Jimny truck concept out now.

Blows my mind that Ford/Chevy/Dodge don't offer something like this.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:30 PM

I looked into it a long time ago. What I remember, assuming the rules haven't changed, is that if is more than 20 years old it is very simple to bring it into Canada. Getting it to pass the out of province vehicle inspection so that you can register it is the hard part.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2019, 05:20 AM

I think you have to hire a broker to import a car from the U.S. At one time you were able to import yourself but U.S folks changed the laws......
Old 01-15-2019, 06:28 AM

We had one of those Jimney as a rental in Antigua, those cars are very gutless and not very comfortable, the seats were like sitting on lawn chairs.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 AM

Contact US Customs regarding vehicle export. They require you use a broker to do the vehicle export.

Check out www.riv.ca for current Importing. Being over 15 years old means it will be exempt from RIV program but you'll still do an RIV document at the border.

You'll pay your taxes at the border and then as stated you'll need an out of province safety done once you get into Canada (same as any other out of province purchase).

Pretty simple overall. Have a good bill of sale and get the original title from the owner.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Default suzuki

where are you located marky-mark has one converted to a hunting buggy i think he would part with he is in edmonton drop him a pm i think its prob a 90 or 91
Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
We had one of those Jimney as a rental in Antigua, those cars are very gutless and not very comfortable, the seats were like sitting on lawn chairs.

Arizona cars are in a league of their own. Think of those airplanes stored there.

Grizz
Old 01-15-2019, 02:25 PM

Default should be simple

Check if that particular vehicle is permitted to be imported into Canada. There is a list out there somewhere. If it qualifies then given the age it is easy peasy to import. Because its older than a certain age riva does not apply. Remember that. And you absolutely do not need a broker to import it for you, I can guarantee you that much.
I hope this helps send you in the right direction.
kidd
Old 01-15-2019, 04:44 PM
Banned

You don't need to use a broker to export a vehicle from the USA, but you do need to provide documentation 72 hours to the CBP before you arrive at the border. It's not that big a deal to do so.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../motor-vehicle

I brought a motorhome back to Canada 2 years ago, and if you follow the steps, it really is painless. Just dot all the "i's" and cross the "t's".
Old 01-15-2019, 05:09 PM

Default Canada Border Services Agency

Go to the Canada Border Services Agency web site and then search Importing a Vehicle Into Canada. The information is all there. Several years ago I printed off about 7 pages pertaining to importing both new and older vehicles.

I recall that it wasn't that difficult a task for older vehicle but prior paper work was required before bringing the vehicle into Canada.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
Go to the Canada Border Services Agency web site and then search Importing a Vehicle Into Canada. The information is all there. Several years ago I printed off about 7 pages pertaining to importing both new and older vehicles.

I recall that it wasn't that difficult a task for older vehicle but prior paper work was required before bringing the vehicle into Canada.
NOTE YOU MAY HAVE TO SEND THE DOCUMENTS TO THE CROSSING YOU WILL CROSS 72 HOURS IN ADVANCE,
or maybe it is 48 not sure then it is easy peasy

you may need a recall notice from the USA which could be as much as 500 us to confirm all the recalls have been done up to time of export Cement Bench
Old 01-15-2019, 08:15 PM

Vehicle needs to be imported into Canada by a broker or you will never be able to register it.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Vehicle needs to be imported into Canada by a broker or you will never be able to register it.
Not really correct.

A broker is required for USCBP export rules. No broker is required for importing to Canada with CBSA and has no bearing on registration.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
You don't need to use a broker to export a vehicle from the USA, but you do need to provide documentation 72 hours to the CBP before you arrive at the border. It's not that big a deal to do so.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../motor-vehicle

I brought a motorhome back to Canada 2 years ago, and if you follow the steps, it really is painless. Just dot all the "i's" and cross the "t's".
They have made a few changes in the last year or two about exporting and AES electronic filing. A bit separate from the USCBP stuff and 72 hours notice, but most are using brokers for the AES/ITN side of things it seems. Looks like not mandatory though.
Used to be really easy to fax everything to Whitlash MT and do it. Looks like you can also now do it yourself (not something I have much involvement with):

What is the Automated Export System (AES)?
The Automated Export System (AES) is a mandatory Electronic Export Information (EEI) filing requirement regulated by U.S. Census.
All exports of used self-propelled vehicles, regardless of value, will be required to file EEI through AES.
The export process begins when a vehicle is purchased in the U.S. and the owner wishes to export the vehicle. The exporter or an authorized agent transmits the vehicle export information electronically using AES.
AES validates the EEI data and generates a confirmation message in the form of an Internal Transaction Number (ITN).
Note: You must exit the U.S. on the date submitted on AES.
CBP recommends that you contact the U.S. customs office where you plan to cross
into Canada to verify the documentation required and their hours of operation
How to file Electronic Export Information through the Automated Export System (AES)
Non-U.S. residents, including Canadians, may:
visit www.autoexports.us – a self-service portal for vehicle exports
Note: For non-commercial vehicle imports, it is not mandatory to use the import services of a customs broker or freight forwarder. AES is the only service required from an authorized U.S. agent.
employ the services of an authorized U.S. agent, freight forwarder or customs broker. By using an internet search engine, search the term ‘AES filing’ to select a provider of your choice.

U.S. Citizens, U.S. Residents or U.S. Companies (i.e. the U.S. vendor that the vehicle was purchased from) may choose to file themselves:
AESDirect – a self-service portal created by U.S. Census

Last edited by Rackmastr; 01-15-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:45 PM

There's federal paperwork that is basically a high level inspection, then your out of province and done
Old 01-18-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_eight View Post
There's federal paperwork that is basically a high level inspection, then your out of province and done
No federal inspection on a vehicle over 15 years old. Just provincial safety inspection.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
No federal inspection on a vehicle over 15 years old. Just provincial safety inspection.
I seem to recall even though mine was over 15 years old, it still needed to be have day light running lights to pass the inspection, as it would have been mandatory equipment for the model year in Canada.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I seem to recall even though mine was over 15 years old, it still needed to be have day light running lights to pass the inspection, as it would have been mandatory equipment for the model year in Canada.
Weird for sure if you did. Vehicles over 15 years are RIV exempt. No inspection is done at the federal level.

Cant say if provincial requirements would change or require certain things (likely province specific as well), but there is no RIV inspection for a vehicles over 15 years of age. The RIV Form 1 is marked as 'exempt' and can be taken directly to licensing, without an RIV inspection paid for.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Weird for sure if you did. Vehicles over 15 years are RIV exempt. No inspection is done at the federal level.

Cant say if provincial requirements would change or require certain things (likely province specific as well), but there is no RIV inspection for a vehicles over 15 years of age. The RIV Form 1 is marked as 'exempt' and can be taken directly to licensing, without an RIV inspection paid for.
Spot on correct. At least in Alberta there are no requirements beyond the RIV rules, except for the usual Out of Province inspection if no RIV inspection was required. Don't know about other provinces.

Quote:
Out Of Province Vehicle Inspections
Registering an Out of Province Vehicle in Alberta
A motor vehicle from outside of Alberta must pass an Alberta Out of Province Vehicle Inspection before licence plates can be issued.

The Government of Alberta may issue an exemption from an inspection if the vehicle's history does not indicate flood, unsafe, salvage, or non-repairable and meets any of the following conditions:

Registering an Out of Province Vehicle In Alberta (pdf 290K)

What the Inspection Involves
This inspection is a basic safety or mechanical fitness assessment that must be performed by a certified journeyman technician who is licensed by Alberta Transportation’s Vehicle Inspection Program (VIP). Typically the inspection takes two hours to perform.

The mechanical fitness portion of the OOP vehicle inspection involves virtually all vehicle components including fuel and exhaust systems, all electrical, engine controls, powertrain, driveline, steering, suspension, braking systems, wiring and lights, tires, glass, wipers and defrosters.

The vehicle must be maintained within Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) standards or wear tolerances in order to pass the inspection.

Structural integrity inspections establish whether or not the vehicle's frame and/or body exhibit signs of major collision damage and/or repairs. They also examine the vehicle for corrosion in body or frame members. The OOP vehicle inspection may not be conclusive in determining previous crash history as the inspection technicians are certified automotive service technicians, not autobody collision repair technicians. If you suspect the vehicle has sustained major damage before you purchased it, you may wish to have the vehicle examined by a collision repair technician.

Restored antique, classic, homebuilt, modified or street rod vehicles that were not previously registered, or those where proof of prior Alberta registration cannot be provided, must also undergo an OOP Vehicle Inspection the first time they are registered.

Alberta's OOP vehicle inspection is privatized and inspection fees are established by the inspection facility. Customers are responsible for ensuring they receive the service expected when selecting an inspection facility.

You should discuss your vehicle's overall condition with the inspection technician before entering into an agreement to have the vehicle inspected. If the vehicle is found to be deficient during the inspection, you may choose to take your vehicle to more than one inspection technician before agreeing to complete suggested repairs.

Inspection Deadlines
Vehicles that fail the initial inspection must be repaired within 10 days of the failure notice to avoid an additional full inspection fee assessment. Vehicles repaired and presented for re-inspection within 10 days will be subject to verification of required repairs only. Inspection certificates are valid for 14 days and vehicles must be registered in Alberta before the expiry date. Should the vehicle owner fail to register the vehicle within 14 days a full OOP Vehicle Inspection will be required again.

Click here to locate an Alberta inspection facility in your area.

For more information, please contact:
Vehicle Inspection Program

Last edited by Dean2; 01-18-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:

It was a provincial inspection. Can only tell you my experience. Maybe I was informed wrong?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
It was a provincial inspection. Can only tell you my experience. Maybe I was informed wrong?
Ya that's interesting, I cant say I have a ton of info or knowledge on the provincial side of things, just Federal.