Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2019, 07:45 PM

They should call it the farewell tour.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:40 PM

Whoever heads up and organizes this convoy must put down some ground rules about what and why the convoy is happening. Only designated and educated speakers who can speak intelligently and convey their point without offending be allowed to talk to the media. General members of the convoy must hold their tongues and avoid contact with media. The media will be out in full force looking to bait hotheads who shoot from the hip, might not be well spoken and denigrate and twist context of what they say to make protesters look as bigoted, racist and uneducated as possible.

If this protest is done correctly it can have a great positive effect and gain eastern Canadian support. On the other hand if not done correctly the damage to the cause will be hard to overcome.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Whoever heads up and organizes this convoy must put down some ground rules about what and why the convoy is happening. Only designated and educated speakers who can speak intelligently and convey their point without offending be allowed to talk to the media. General members of the convoy must hold their tongues and avoid contact with media. The media will be out in full force looking to bait hotheads who shoot from the hip, might not be well spoken and denigrate and twist context of what they say to make protesters look as bigoted, racist and uneducated as possible.

If this protest is done correctly it can have a great positive effect and gain eastern Canadian support. On the other hand if not done correctly the damage to the cause will be hard to overcome.
*Like*
Old 01-06-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
*Like*
Agree +1

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-06-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Well said Bushrat, and hopefully convey that any groups, which will ride the coat tails of this movement, segregate themselves appropriately.

This is so huge....

There is a massive mountain to climb, even to assemble such a rally in AB, let alone truck across our country, let alone the east even letting us get close to where we need to be.

Hopefully they keep the task at hand in mind while travelling through the route to Ottawa not yelling show me your tits as was on Ladd 2 at the Nisku rally.

Remember what and why we are doing this for folks, we can see boobs any day if you are so inclined.

Said let them truckers roll 10-4..!!!!!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
All the information about the convoy, and where you can donate is here:

https://www.gofundme.com/convoy-to-ottawa
Soooo? is this the right one to donate to ? as Claytons name comes up at the bottom drop down menu ?? Along with a couple others.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Soooo? is this the right one to donate to ? as Claytons name comes up at the bottom drop down menu ?? Along with a couple others.
I dunno, it’s the info I had at the time of posting, there now seems to be some sort of controversy brewing, so I’d say hold on.....

There are no absolutes
Old 01-06-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I would be hard pressed to give any money to any gfm group, it has been long known as one of the most scam filled ways to get money out of anyone. Does anyone actually think this group is going to stand at the pumps and pay fuel bills?

More than likely the lion share will go to the people running the GoFundMe. Happens all the time. You would be better off handing a cheque to a trucker.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-07-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
This will get spun by the media as a white power/anti immigration rally.
And watch for the department of transportation enforcement officers at the Ontario border. Everyone is getting inspected.
Those are my predictions, and I hope I'm wrong.
My hat is off to everyone going.
Agree with all of the above, especially the last part.

That's going to be a GREAT sight to see!

I just put 3 Alberta stickers on my truck, one says Make Alberta Great Again with a Derrick on it.

Go get em boys and girls and make LOTS of noise and fly the blue flag high & proud!
Old 01-07-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Most of the people complaining are the apartment living City dwellers who might not even own a vehicle and likely don't work. If they do work they are the type that buys milk from a nice clean carton not a dirty old cow and meat from Superstore not from a butcher. They are absolutely clueless about life just sit in hotels and bitch on Facebook about what a terrible thing the Convoy is.
So a solid 95% of Canada. Only this is movement gets any real change will be if they can keep the fringe wing nuts out. Otherwise Onterriblians Kbecers will use this to our disadvantage. Play it out like we are whiners from an ancient industry.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:

Maybe they could address this stuff while they have everyone's attention?

https://youtu.be/YI2AMv9cV-A

https://youtu.be/hbyKU0yIS-A

https://youtu.be/xqQm1qk8lMc
Old 01-14-2019, 09:57 PM

I'm no logistician, but I knew this wouldn't happen.https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4978119
Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
One thing for sure, Jerry Reed should be driving it.
Umm... that would be... interesting
Old 01-14-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
I'm no logistician, but I knew this wouldn't happen.https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4978119
There is still one remaining. Raised over 100K. Leaving in February.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:58 AM

Default Fuel costs

So assuming GoFundMe raises 150k by departure time (At $100k currently)....

35l/100km average fuel economy per truck...

Calgary to Ottawa is 3500km one way (7k round trip)...

That's $2500 in fuel costs per truck to make round trip - fuel ONLY.

$150k / $2500 = 60 trucks going to Ottawa...

Not much of a showing.

I realize some will pay their own way. But I can't see it going much further than that.

Maybe see 100 trucks heading east ?? Estimated. I don't know. Time will tell I suppose.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
So assuming GoFundMe raises 150k by departure time (At $100k currently)....

35l/100km average fuel economy per truck...

Calgary to Ottawa is 3500km one way (7k round trip)...

That's $2500 in fuel costs per truck to make round trip - fuel ONLY.

$150k / $2500 = 60 trucks going to Ottawa...

Not much of a showing.

I realize some will pay their own way. But I can't see it going much further than that.

Maybe see 100 trucks heading east ?? Estimated. I don't know. Time will tell I suppose.
Gotta wonder if all those different inter provincial trucking regulations play a part ?

Grizz
Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 AM

Default Convoy Cancelled!

I heard on the news this morning that the convoy has been cancelled. Any contributors to the GFM are to be reimbursed.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:47 AM

Default Rally4Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post
I heard on the news this morning that the convoy has been cancelled. Any contributors to the GFM are to be reimbursed.
The Rally4Resources convoy was cancelled. Too bad I know the organizers and their heart was really into this. I got notice from GoFundMe that my card will be reimbursed.

This convoy was ALL in reference to the Oilpatch unlike the Yellow Vests that cover a number of hot topics.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:17 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a similar protest late 80's early 90's that encountered the full force of the national transport corridor law enforcement. Weigh scales, log books, trip details etc. Leading to arrests and fines in many cases.
I wonder if those past lessons learned came to the forefront, making this effort unpalatable?
I don't do the national transport thing, so really have no idea, perhaps a professional could expand o. This line of thought.
I did read in the article that the organizer said something to the effect that some of the vehicles were incapable of making said journey. I am of the understanding that trucks routinely traverse the continent? Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.