Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 06:42 AM

Default Another grizzly found shot dead near Grande Prairie

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...0-dc19a843ecf4

Absolute garbage. I hope they find whoever did this and come down on them like a ton of bricks.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:49 AM

The Govt is better off allowing a controlled hunt because this is going to become more common as more people encounter G bears. The numbers have to be more than high enough to allow a hunt, even if its a lottery draw for a handful like Mountain Goats. I would bet there are way more G bears in Ab than Mountain Goats.
It is just another case of SSS, except they forgot the Shovel part...

SS
Old 09-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Banned

seems to me a hunt would be the answer. this will only continue if they don't.

we're seeing quite a few out here on the prairie and hunters are even getting nervous out here.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
seems to me a hunt would be the answer. this will only continue if they don't.

we're seeing quite a few out here on the prairie and hunters are even getting nervous out here.
I see more Grizz than I do black bears in my area
Old 09-21-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
The Govt is better off allowing a controlled hunt because this is going to become more common as more people encounter G bears. The numbers have to be more than high enough to allow a hunt, even if its a lottery draw for a handful like Mountain Goats. I would bet there are way more G bears in Ab than Mountain Goats.

SS
The area where these bears were shot is straight bush all the way to grande cache. This has nothing to do with encounters with people/livestock etc. this is just some POS poacher driving around shooting for fun
Old 09-21-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:

SS
Are you advocating poaching? I might agree with a localized controlled hunt, but poaching an animal and leaving it to rot is inexcusable. We're not talking about coyotes, or rabbits. Grizzlies are a threatened species in Alberta.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
Are you advocating poaching? I might agree with a localized controlled hunt, but poaching an animal and leaving it to rot is inexcusable. We're not talking about coyotes, or rabbits. Grizzlies are a threatened species in Alberta.
I dont see him saying he advocates it. Hes is stating the inevitable. Like it or not it is going to happen more. It has happened alot in my area as well. I do not agree at all with it in any way but ith the population of Grizzlys being much more than these "studys" say. SSS will happen more
Old 09-21-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Advocating poaching??? WTF? Read my post again, I am advocating a controlled G Bear hunt. The finding of G Bears shot and left in different parts of Ab is strictly a fact.. And these are just the ones that are found.

The Govt needs to open a hunt for this species, their numbers can easily support it. If you don't think they can, you don't spend much time, if any out in the bush/prairies.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Advocating poaching??? WTF? Read my post again, I am advocating a controlled G Bear hunt. The finding of G Bears shot and left in different parts of Ab is strictly a fact.. And these are just the ones that are found.

The Govt needs to open a hunt for this species, their numbers can easily support it. If you don't think they can, you don't spend much time, if any out in the bush/prairies.
Doesnt mean you kill them when you feel like it. Shoot shovel and shut up?? Pump yer brakes cowboys...
Old 09-21-2018, 11:54 AM

If you are a hunter and you have to shoot a Griz to protect yourself just wait for the social/public **** show you are going to be in.

Even if you do everything legally you WILL be doxd when the media gets hold of this, I'm not sure I'd expose my family to that type of eco-terrorism...

This is not a support of poaching, just an observation what has happened to others.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
If you are a hunter and you have to shoot a Griz to protect yourself just wait for the social/public **** show you are going to be in.

Even if you do everything legally you WILL be doxd when the media gets hold of this, I'm not sure I'd expose my family to that type of eco-terrorism...

This is not a support of poaching, just an observation what has happened to others.
I can undertsand this train of thought and agree. But hopefully there isnt some yahoos driving around shooting grizzlies for kicks though....
Old 09-21-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
The area where these bears were shot is straight bush all the way to grande cache. This has nothing to do with encounters with people/livestock etc. this is just some POS poacher driving around shooting for fun
Probably a lot of truth in that.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:08 PM

There's already another thread going on this.

Someone shot and left a mulie buck and a couple of elk on my place and I couldn't get F and W to come look at them. Someone kills a bear and it's national news.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-21-2018, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post

Someone shot and left a mulie buck and a couple of elk on my place and I couldn't get F and W to come look at them. Someone kills a bear and it's national news.
I agree. Don't seem right to me. Dead black bear 1/4 of a mile up the road from my house. Shot or run over? I don't know. Asked fw to come and get it because I didn't want my dogs in it. Far to busy to come and get it so I hauled it to the bush myself.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Banned

Default National News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I agree. Don't seem right to me. Dead black bear 1/4 of a mile up the road from my house. Shot or run over? I don't know. Asked fw to come and get it because I didn't want my dogs in it. Far to busy to come and get it so I hauled it to the bush myself.
The tittle of your post should be Animal Inequality
Old 09-21-2018, 11:30 PM

OR somebody can't tell the difference between a black bear and a grizzly to try and fill his or her tag! Wouldn't be the first time that someone shot a horse and thought it was an elk or shot a caribou thinking it was an elk and the list goes on! OR like many have mentioned poachers! I work in the area and live/travel from Grande Cache and the amount of road traffic in the back country is horrendous! I see all kinds of weird people travelling at all times of the day and night. The theft of all kinds of equipment happens all the time out there. The Kakwa and Smoky river valley's have a very high population of grizz, in fact over the past 5 years I have noticed that the black bear population has diminished while the grizz population has exploded! I know of a couple of cases of grizzlies killing black bears in the area. Just the other night there was a sow grizz and her single cub were roaming around Grande Cache at night, one lady heard some noise/crying in her back yard and a few minutes later she took a few pictures of the cub walking on the street in front of her house, I have not heard if F&W caught them yet or not but the population in this area is high. Just my 2 cents
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post

might have something to do with the fact its a "protected" animal???
Old 09-22-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
might have something to do with the fact its a "protected" animal???
Hard to call it a "protected" animal when it can be hunted by some. Actual classification is threatened
Old 09-22-2018, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly what it is.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:09 PM
Banned

Not good for business and it feeds the anti-agenda. I wouldn’t mind hunting one some day with my son.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:47 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
...Grizzlies are a threatened species in Alberta.
Correction... we simply pretend that grizzlies are threatened. And the government passed laws based on Stennhouse's pseudo science and human emotion supporting that, and now we have a grizzly problem that's the politicians are very afraid of addressing.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Hard to call it a "protected" animal when it can be hunted by some. Actual classification is threatened

Point being is these bears that were shot south of Gp have nothing to do with the “grizzly problem” that everyone is complaining about