Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2017, 07:32 PM

Default Stolen vehicles!!

Why are people so naïve that think that they can go out start their vehicle go back in the house or store and think their vehicle will still be there when they are ready to leave.

Don't people listen to the news, read on line, etc. that so many vehicles are being stolen?

People that have their vehicles stolen should pay the high insurance premium, cause we can't fix stupid.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 PM

Some people are blissfully unaware of the crime wave sweeping Alberta.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:07 PM

You want to blame the victims for the crime?
That's bassackwords
Old 01-19-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musk e View Post
That's bassackwords
I see you're one of the ones the OP said we can't fix lol.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:23 PM

Why are girls so naive to think that they can leave the house with no scarf over their head and they won't get raped?
Don't get listen to the news?
Why do they leave the house?
They must be stupid too.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned

I leave my truck idling all the time. Especially in front of Planet Organic. Nothing like 12v Cummins stink to choke some vegans. I lock it of course and shift the transfer case into Neutral while the parking brake is engaged. I'm aware of the fact that it can be started with a screwdriver, and the doors can be opened with one too. I haven't seen another vehicle that would match my trucks description, therefore the cops would be able to spot it easily. Doesn't make sense to steal it...
What we need is a couple of public hangings to make the criminal element rethink the path that they are on...
Old 01-19-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Why are people so naïve that think that they can go out start their vehicle go back in the house or store and think their vehicle will still be there when they are ready to leave.

Don't people listen to the news, read on line, etc. that so many vehicles are being stolen?

People that have their vehicles stolen should pay the high insurance premium, cause we can't fix stupid.
jeez, i dont know. because i would like to think i live in a respectable society, where there is respect for others property. how did we get to this point? now we all have to strap down and lockup evrything we own? if i dont im the stupid one? i deserve it? jesus!!
Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's bassackwords
It's called personal responsibility.
No one is blaming the victim...but blissfully going through life without taking precautions is...stupid.
Case in point. You step into a marked crosswalk even though a Dodge 3500 is bearing, obviously not stopping.
You may be on the right...and I promise I won't blame you (the victim) at your funeral.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:

That's why the only vehicle I have with command start is my old beater honda civic that I use for commuting. If you want to steal it, you'll like it. Great on gas mileage!
Old 01-19-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
That's bassackwords
No, the only ones responsible for the crime are the dirtbag criminals who think it is their right to profit from other peoples hard work and sacrifice.But in saying that like it or not there is no sense in giving some the golden opportunity to ruin your day. We don't have to like the way society is going but we do have to live in it to the best of our abilities.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:41 PM

This is the crap we have been putting up with around here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1437...84885916008834

This guy has been id'd for just about a month now and still at large:

https://www.facebook.com/rigginlife
Old 01-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:

This is no different then saying that if you drive a vehicle worth stealing you should pay the high premiums, because those are the vehicles that will cost the insurance company, not those that drive around in their $800 vehicles. You want to drive a new $80 000 truck and have insurance, you should pay the high premiums. Maybe you should also pay the thieves a years salary so they are not as inclined to steal someones vehicles. What else can we do to entitle our thieves here in Canada?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

So do you stay home 24-7?

Or do you go to work, the store, vacations?

How can people be so stupid to leave their houses full of precious stuff and risk have it broken into while they are not there?

Crime happens ,

But I'd like think I don't have to live in fear of being a victim.

I do what I can to prevent things from happening,
But fear of being a victim doesn't control my life.

They may get my possessions, but that's it.

They won't steal my life.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:

Pretty high horse you're on. My truck was locked and shut off when it was stolen in the middle of the night at my hotel room.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:45 AM

Default have we evolved to this?

How is it that we have evolved from being the victim of crime, into being at fault? And we're worried about the poor insurance company having to charge more rates for it! Some of you people really need to be slapped upside the noodle!
I grew up in a small town where nobody locked their doors. House or vehicle. I recall the old-style gunracks left stocked up with guns displayed in the back window. Vehicle unlocked.
I'll be buggered if I am going to live my life worrying about making life tougher on the insurance companies, or God-forbid, that the local constable has to fill out a few reports and maybe try to find a thief.
Today's legal system is as much to blame as anything. Today's entitled thief has been deemed as coming from a poor home, with alcoholic parents, in a bad neighborhood, and the poor darlings should be given another chance.
Maybe some of the old third world people have it right. Catch a thief and cut off his dang hand!
You people thinking I'm at fault for trusting people and trying to have some faith in mankind can all get stuffed!
Old 01-20-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
jeez, i dont know. because i would like to think i live in a respectable society, where there is respect for others property. how did we get to this point? now we all have to strap down and lockup evrything we own? if i dont im the stupid one? i deserve it? jesus!!
Well said.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

How about direct our issues towards the criminals? Steal a vehicle well ya hang!

There fixed the problem...tell ya right now the common loser will think twice about stealing the gallows makes you think twice.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 AM

I guess I answered that question wrong.

Everyday you hear that vehicles are being stolen. I guess people just don't get it that if you leave your keys in the ignition with doors unlocked and engine running , and sometimes kids in the backseat and when you get out to leave vehicle is gone.

By the sounds of it most of you guys think it is okay to steal someone else's stuff.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat336 View Post
Pretty high horse you're on. My truck was locked and shut off when it was stolen in the middle of the night at my hotel room.
you must be driving a FORD F350 they are pretty easy to take.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
you must be driving a FORD F350 they are pretty easy to take.
My F150 had the window smashed out of it in a parking lot in Edmonton and it was locked,what's your point?
It is not hard for a person to steal anything these days be it a Ford or any other vehicle
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-20-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:50 AM

As long as everyone else keeps giving society the benefit of the doubt, by thinking that things "should" be ok unlocked, I'm happy. I was taught at a young age, "Lock it or lose it". And these criminals will keep going for the easier targets. So my stuff will be ok.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
I guess I answered that question wrong.

Everyday you hear that vehicles are being stolen. I guess people just don't get it that if you leave your keys in the ignition with doors unlocked and engine running , and sometimes kids in the backseat and when you get out to leave vehicle is gone.

By the sounds of it most of you guys think it is okay to steal someone else's stuff.
Your comprehension skills are somewhat lacking.
No one here has condoned stealing.
But it happens...and as I said to not realize that and not take precautions shows extreme naivete or stupidity.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:26 AM

Mine was a chev 1500 locked up in my driveway 10 ft from my front door. What more should I have done.
You seem to be the only one that even suggests that it is ok for the thieves to take people stuff because they didn't protect it with land mines and pit bulls.

Mack
Old 01-20-2017, 08:28 AM

The only part of the OP I agree with is the stupid comment.

In this opinion, a new red line is being drawn.
Revising the old boundary of DO NOT STEAL, Stupid!

When this new mantra of blaming the victim becomes the norm....

What new line are you going to draw?

Redefining stupidity is stupid.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-20-2017, 08:50 AM

I don't think anyone is arguing that there isn't increased risk of vehicle theft if you leave your car unlocked and running.

The issue is that, as a society, we are forced to adapt to use increased measures to secure our stuff. This isn't easy, especially as there are those among us (including me) who remember a time when it wasn't so bad.

Perhaps back then, we were more of a cohesive society, with more commonality in our cultural, moral and ethical backgrounds and upbringing. Perhaps back then, there were harsher consequences, whether by rod or by judge.

Nowadays it's the victim who gets fined if someone graffiti's their building... Brilliant, Mandel.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
That's bassackwords
I agree with you, to an extent. I think the point being made, however, is that people need to use common sense to protect themselves. I guess an analogous example would be the person who gets run down in a cross walk. The driver is at fault, he's to blame, but the pedestrian was foolish to walk out in front of a vehicle that wasn't slowing down.

I SHOULD be able to leave my wallet anywhere and not worry about it. But I'm a fool if I do.

Answer to all this is just get yourself a remote car starter! Safe, and you don't even have to go outside to start the vehicle!
Old 01-20-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
You want to drive a new $80 000 truck and have insurance, you should pay the high premiums.
Isn't that how it currently works? I don't think the comprehensive coverage options costs he same whether the vehicle is valued at $80,000 or $800.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that there isn't increased risk of vehicle theft if you leave your car unlocked and running.

The issue is that, as a society, we are forced to adapt to use increased measures to secure our stuff. This isn't easy, especially as there are those among us (including me) who remember a time when it wasn't so bad.

Perhaps back then, we were more of a cohesive society, with more commonality in our cultural, moral and ethical backgrounds and upbringing. Perhaps back then, there were harsher consequences, whether by rod or by judge.

Nowadays it's the victim who gets fined if someone graffiti's their building... Brilliant, Mandel.
We all look back at the past through the proverbial rose colored glasses.
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-630-...015001-eng.htm
If you look at the chart, crime (including property crime) is at the lowest it's been in 50 years.
What we have is much increased news coverage and social media.
Case in point...a number of threads lately have been about stolen vehicles.
50 years ago the victim, their immediate family and a few friends and co-workers would be the only ones who'd know about the theft.
Now there are those, plus the 5000 here plus all their Twitter and Facebook friends know about it, so we end up being inundated with the news of these crimes on a constant basis.
There was an experiment in the news last week about a study that some university performed.
They took 500 people and had 1/2 of them stay off social media for a month. At the end of the month the people not on social media had much lower stress levels and a measurably higher level of happiness and satisfaction with their lives.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Isn't that how it currently works? I don't think the comprehensive coverage options costs he same whether the vehicle is valued at $80,000 or $800.
I always have comprehensive on my $1000 vehicle. Until one day a friend told me I should get a one way on it , coverage is the same just not including the vehicle it's self . Save almost $500 ,
Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
I always have comprehensive on my $1000 vehicle. Until one day a friend told me I should get a one way on it , coverage is the same just not including the vehicle it's self . Save almost $500 ,
I think what you mean is you dropped the comprehensive and just kept the liability insurance. No?