Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 08:03 AM

I should not have read this thread! My 18y/o daughter is house sititng for two months this spring....now my imagination is going to run wild

Both girls have house sat before and I was never terribly worried....

We live in the city and always hire someone. We pay $50/day and it is worth every penny! i come home to a clean house, pets are cared for, and i know my house has been looked after.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post
I should not have read this thread! My 18y/o daughter is house sititng for two months this spring....now my imagination is going to run wild

Both girls have house sat before and I was never terribly worried....

We live in the city and always hire someone. We pay $50/day and it is worth every penny! i come home to a clean house, pets are cared for, and i know my house has been looked after.
She should bring a can of bear spray and a bat. Just in case she encounters any bears or baseball games.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:02 AM

Default Thanks everyone!

Thank you for all your input and suggestions, looks like the best solution for my folks is to get an alarm system. That should at least limit the amount of time that these dope fiends spend tossing the place. Now we'll see how good Grey Power Insurance is and if they're fair. I'm also just thinking about ways to hide the firearms safe...
Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Has anybody tried out some horizontal garden implement storage techniques? Maybe a rake or two at the garage entrance? Might not stop him but sure would give a bit of satisfaction watching it on camera after.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I don't know about the locked gate.
To me that means the owners and on vacation some where.
I know acreage/farm owners that lock the gate even when they are home.

If you can afford it, an automated gate is a good idea.

Sad that it has come to this.

I have a relative who works from his acreage home. From time to time he'll find prospective thieves driving down the driveway, and then backing out so that their license plate is less likely to be seen or photographed. He did get hit eventually.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I know acreage/farm owners that lock the gate even when they are home.

If you can afford it, an automated gate is a good idea.

Sad that it has come to this.

I have a relative who works from his acreage home. From time to time he'll find prospective thieves driving down the driveway, and then backing out so that their license plate is less likely to be seen or photographed. He did get hit eventually.
That is why one of my cameras faces into the yard, so I can catch the plate # when they come in or back out.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM

How about a big sign that says.....

"No Trespassing! Restricted access! Forensic crime scene."

Put a few flower wreaths around the driveway too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-17-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
That is why one of my cameras faces into the yard, so I can catch the plate # when they come in or back out.

Great idea!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 AM

I meet farm folk for my work. I can tell you in the last 17 yrs of driving into yards to meet them, there are a lot more "looks" than before due to all the scum trying to scope out places. Sometimes you get a wrong distance from a Range road and you go one farm yard to soon. You can see people are scarred now. I can and do show who i am and who i am looking for. Then the look goes away. I always tell the people i am meeting what i drive. The stories i hear of scum looking for Mr Smith's farm are many. Gates and cameras is what many people i meet are doing. And BIG damn dogs lol. When the dog is looking me in the eye while i drive up, its noticed
Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Banned

Try some strategically placed punji pits. At least you know they won't be able to flee before the cops come.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:18 PM

looks like the best solution for my folks is to get an alarm system.

Wouldn't put too much faith in it. Response times in the country suck. Buddy had a break in and theft, took the cops 45 minutes to respond and he lives within sight of the detachment.

Grizz
Old 01-17-2017, 01:23 PM

gates locked at all times yard lights and keep all good stuff locked up
Old 01-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHopHead View Post
Thank you for all your input and suggestions, looks like the best solution for my folks is to get an alarm system. That should at least limit the amount of time that these dope fiends spend tossing the place. Now we'll see how good Grey Power Insurance is and if they're fair. I'm also just thinking about ways to hide the firearms safe...
Build a hidden compartment out of firebrick. Serves 2 purposes. Keeps the gun safe hidden, and protects from fire. Moisture, you're on your own...
Old 01-17-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I meet farm folk for my work. I can tell you in the last 17 yrs of driving into yards to meet them, there are a lot more "looks" than before due to all the scum trying to scope out places. Sometimes you get a wrong distance from a Range road and you go one farm yard to soon. You can see people are scarred now. I can and do show who i am and who i am looking for. Then the look goes away. I always tell the people i am meeting what i drive. The stories i hear of scum looking for Mr Smith's farm are many. Gates and cameras is what many people i meet are doing. And BIG damn dogs lol. When the dog is looking me in the eye while i drive up, its noticed
I agree with the dog part. Also, keep the dog well fed so that meat thrown from the truck window doesn't distract them.

Had a pickup pull into the yard one day. 2 guys were starting to get out when the dog walked around the corner and let out a bark. She's 125 pounds, and not fat at all. Long and lean, and very powerful looking.

Guys got back into the truck in a hurry, and threw a ball of meat out. She took a few sniffs of it and kept walking towards the truck. Seems like they decided they didn't like the odds with her, as they peeled out of the yard before she got to the truck...

She's got a good sense of people. If she doesn't like someone, and dad or I are there, she will lean up against the person, and keep pushing them away from us. If we're not there, and she feels that the people aren't supposed to be there, all bets will probably be off.

If someone is going past on the road, she will ignore it, but if someone is stopping on the road outside the yard, she goes and checks it out. Most people leave when they see her coming their way, even if they're in vehicles.

I'm planning to get another dog like that...
Old 01-17-2017, 02:58 PM

All you can do is make it as tough as possible for them to gain entry without making it look like a Chicago suburb slum house with bars on the windows. Cameras are a good thing, and I like the alarms that let you choose who gets the phone call. First 2-3 closest neighbors, the Police, etc. I have wifi camera's that send me video and sound immediately when triggered. All I have ever seen for movement in the garage was a mouse, and whenever the kids or wife goes in.
I have camera's in the house too, same deal. The plan is if I get the alert, to call my home # and let the machine pick up, let them know I am watching them and they have the opportunity to leave post haste. I will of course have already called the RCMP and neighbors to keep an eye on things for me. It is great having great neighbors.
Make it tough, keep the vehicles locked, make damn sure that you have a video of E V E R Y T H I N G you own off site for insurance purposes. With the Cooperators they don't even ask for receipts anymore, they like picture proof.
And a snipers nest. And claymores.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned

Old 01-17-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Interesting. A GEHA shotgun.

Grizz
Old 01-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Interesting. A GEHA shotgun.

Grizz
Old 01-17-2017, 05:03 PM

For those without dogs, a dog kennel and dog house might worry a few people.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:11 PM

Is a strong gate and lock worth it? Can anyone tell me what most thieves do - do they mostly walk, ride or drive into yards? (On larger properties and farms)

Planting trees around the accessible perimeter would seem to be a way to eventually stop people doing an end run around a gate. Then wouldn't a good gate and lock protect the larger possessions at a property.

Anyone having to walk into any yard would have to be a lot more gutsy I'd say.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:16 PM

Thieves are opportunistic. But drugs change that. More is never less when it comes to security. Gate at the driveway, and large boulders around the road accessible perimeter is my choice.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:00 PM

Default Rural break Ins.

I had my cabin and trailer broken into last summer. 4 guys with headlamps on at 3 am. They walked down my lane, right past my " Smile, you are on camera sign" and cut the lock on the trailer, pried the cabin door open and helped themselves. I believe that someone also stayed out on the road, probably with a cell phone to keep watch, as they took there time looking, returning twice with loads of gear. I actually got off easy as the only expensive item they took was a $400 electric log splitter. Of course, the only photos that I got of them were either blurry from them running or of their backs. My home in the city has a security system of the " four legged variety" and I've never had any issues. The people responsible for these actions just don't give a $";+ if they get caught or not.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 AM

A couple of harrows ( Upside down) in the tall grass around your fuel tank seemed to work in the past.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:22 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
A couple of harrows ( Upside down) in the tall grass around your fuel tank seemed to work in the past.
.. a sufficient property liability insurance will help ease the head ache after

the suggestion might sound a little extreme, but when it come to situation like this. Example a pack of wolf roaming near/on your property, what would you do... put up some camera, make some noise , traps, poisons or guns.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't put too much faith in it. Response times in the country suck. Buddy had a break in and theft, took the cops 45 minutes to respond and he lives within sight of the detachment.

Grizz
I heard of one guy who called in a break in in progress and was told no cars were available for at least 45 minutes. He called back a minute later and said "no need to rush I just shot the bas**rds. Within two minutes 3 cruisers arrived
Old 01-19-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Grizz
They're only 8km outside of Calgary, but who knows how long the RCMP would take to respond? I think the advantage here would be that they'd take only a few minutes to look around instead of the few hours they had to go through things.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Default Alarm company suggestions/experience?

So they're going with an alarm system to be installed. Do any of you have firsthand or knowledge of what companies might be the best to consider? Also, yes they're willing to pay monitoring fees.
Thanks everyone!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:07 PM

One concern with a dog is that they have shot the dog(22 subsonic) or they have sprayed the dog. I have heard but don't know that old Harley parts or military items might be a deterrent.

**Tongue in cheek**, a KEEP OUT ARYAN NATIONS PROPERTY SIGN will deter some people, increase police interest and may bring new friends
Old 01-19-2017, 05:39 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHopHead View Post
They're only 8km outside of Calgary, but who knows how long the RCMP would take to respond? I think the advantage here would be that they'd take only a few minutes to look around instead of the few hours they had to go through things.
They will be coming from Strathmore, I live just west of Langdon, I rarely see an RCMP cruiser in our area. We had a break in about 12 years ago. It occured during the afternoon when we went to Calgary for a couple of hours. We reported it about 4 pm, never saw anyone until the next day. The Chestermere detachment only polices the town.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerman View Post
They will be coming from Strathmore, I live just west of Langdon, I rarely see an RCMP cruiser in our area. We had a break in about 12 years ago. It occured during the afternoon when we went to Calgary for a couple of hours. We reported it about 4 pm, never saw anyone until the next day. The Chestermere detachment only polices the town.
They're on the West side, so it's the Cochrane detachment who responds to their area, but you are so correct, depends on what's going down at the time... The Rockyview rent-a-cops are always crawling all over the area, but they're just revenue generating mall cops.

Last edited by CanadianHopHead; 01-19-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Adding more info