Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Default elk soup

Well I guess the biggest disadvantage to having two freezers is sometimes things get overlooked. Was poking around in garage freezer looking for more sausages when I noticed a butcher paper wrapped small package in bottom of a box labeled elk stew steak 2014. thinking at the very least it should be removed and cooked up to see if fit for consumption I thawed it over night intending to cook the following day. Very pleasant surprise to find indeed miniature elk steaks about 3/4 inch thick but the longest piece was only 5 inches long and most were between 3 and 4 inches long. Browned them all in frying pan on both sides and enjoyed the larger one for dinner night before last as wife is still sick with pneumonia so not eating or cooking these days.
Now I have 5 or so small steaks left that are already cooked but not overdone as they were very lean to begin with.

Took inventory in fridge to find lots of choices. Cubed/diced 4 large carrots and 2 large potatoes from garden. Diced 4 celery stalks as well as half a medium sized onion. Cut all the steak pieces into similar cubes about 1/4 by 1/2 inch. These ingredients almost half filled the slow cooker and I added a tablespoon of vegetable bouillon, shook some garlic and dried pepper mix from Costco on the top and then added enough water to cover the mixture. Turned the cooker to high for 3 hours and voila a hardy clear broth chunky soup mix for these cold days that should last 2-3 days.
Going to check that freezer again to see what other goodies might be hiding near the bottom.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Nothing can top a bowl of hot chucky soup on a cold day .
Old 01-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Sounds YUMMY
Old 01-03-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Nothing can top a bowl of hot chucky soup on a cold day .
Agreed. This fall I went on a bit of a soup making binge. Had some pretty good sized beets in the garden that turned into two large pots of borscht, placed it all in containers and froze overnight then popped it out of the plastic container and vacuum sealed them. Each container is about two bowls of soup, just perfect for supper for me. Make biscuits or toast some good rye bread..... Did the same with the Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys - made the soup and before adding the wild rice I separated it leaving enough for a few meals and the rest got froze. When the soup gets low I will do up a pot of stew as well though I do have enough soup to last a while.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:17 PM

Elk soup is excellent!

I make mine the same way, except I cut up an onion and fry both it and the elk in a pan with a touch of water and one pig of beef bullion...

Then I put it in the soup... boil for 2 hours..

It's fantastic!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-03-2017, 02:24 PM

Did somebody say soup? Seems like a good day for it.

I was just thinking about making Mulligatawny.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:48 PM

When we butchered my Suffield elk last year, some was designated for stew. MMMMM is all i can say after sitting in a crock pot all day.

Still have a couple packs, now one pack is going to be donated to make some Soup. Good thread
Old 01-03-2017, 04:12 PM

My better half hopes your better half gets well real soon.

Do you still have any of those giant potatoes? They would be great in soup.

This thread has motivated me to make a batch of Beef Barley Soup
Old 01-03-2017, 04:51 PM

Default 0mega

Thank Mrs Omega for the well wishes but
Squarehead pneumonia is not easy to cure. When you feel a bit better you run around cleaning and tidying for a day. next day relapse, When pro trainer son sends your new work out routine and you think the congestion is "breaking up a bit" you rush downstairs and do a light workout with lots of breaks in between to hack up a lung. Next day relapse.
I expect at her current rate of "common sense" or lack thereof she may never get rid of the pneumonia.

Yes still lots of garden potatoes left and more in storage in the cold room which is a nice 2 degrees C today. Working on the last handfull of garden carrots.
Oddly enough I had considered turning this into a barley concoction or something similar with bag of quinoa and sprouted rice I saw in the pantry and used successfully in the turkey version last week. After a second day of simmering I felt with a good supply of chunky vegetables no rice or quinoa was required. Added some chopped up tomatoes to make it a bit different tonight.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:32 PM

Love homemade soup. We have used up the turkey broth so your recipe will get a trial this weekend with some of last years elk.

Thanks for posting this up.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:17 PM

Within an ingredient or two I do the same. Sometimes I use bone broth as a base. Chicken or beef does not matter. Sometime I throw in a small can of diced tomatoes or handful of chopped cherry tomatoes. No matter what I throw in it tastes wonderful and keeps well for several meals. My wife who is a vegetarian does not know what she is missing.