Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Smile Trojan deep cycle agm batteries for an rv

wondering if anyone uses these and what the performance has been.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:22 PM

I had them in my old 5th wheel, two 6volt with a 100 watt solar panel, they worked very well. I will buy them for my new 5th wheel when the factory ones crap out.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:55 PM

I had an issue with a T105, $200 battery and it wont hold a charge now.
Battery world says the 2 year pro rated warranty just ran out, of course.
The twin is OK tho, but not sure I will pay to buy another to replace the bad one.

TBark
Old 01-03-2017, 08:10 AM

The T105 Flooded are my favorite battery for small banks, when I can get them at a reasonable price, around $200. I've seen them for >$400 including core and I assume dancing girls. They are good but they are still flooded lead acid batteries.

Which I wouldn't recommend for an RV unless you have a proper external battery compartment to put them in. Since the OP is looking for AGM I would suggest the T105 AGM.

I haven't installed or used them but have maintained other Trojan AGMs. I have used other brand AGM's and installed for others but almost every time it has come to buying new ones for me the extremely high price has enabled me to build a battery compartment suitable for flooded. The one time I couldn't was in a boat where I had to sit on the batteries, or rather the battery compartment and while I could have used flooded it was a nice boat and worth AGM and I got a couple smaller 12V Trojans AGM.

Most RV's have outside compartments that could be converted to a battery compartment. Flooded cannot handle as much mechanical shock but it is easy to make a suspended or cushioned base for the batteries to sit on if required. Proper caps can address spills but not being inverted for any length of time, though I have had T105's on their side for short periods with no leakage at all.

Of course if money is not such an issue a couple T105-AGMs would be on my short list even more so if I already have the charger set up for them.

Trojan are like any batteries, be sure to test them, and monitor them regularly, but unlike many they have always met, or close enough, claimed specs and performance.

If converting from flooded to AGM keep price of new charger in mind. The batteries will last longer and can be recharged much faster with a suitable charger.

I'd buy Trojan AGM's if I could get and/or afford them. Be sure to check Surrette Rolls as well.

BTW When I use the term "AGM" I am referring to Absorbed Glass Mat which is very specific, many use the term to describe a wide range of non-spill battery technologies.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:49 AM

During the winter I keep my Trojans in the unheated garage and trickle charge them every two weeks to keep them charged up, then in the spring, back in the RV.

I use both a solar panel and a Honda 2000 during the summer dry camping. The Honda for watching a DVD when it is pouring rain.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:48 AM

Yes - I've used Trojan's for years. (helps that a family member owns a battery shop )

Very happy with their performance. I have a 130 watt solar setup and use two 6V batteries. With LED lighting in the trailer I can camp almost indefinitely as long as the furnace doesn't run too much.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:10 PM

Smile

I'm a long-time fan of Trojan deep cycle batteries. The last one I bought is over 4 years old now, and it still works like new. Of course, I always keep it properly maintained, and also fully charged when in storage.

Worth the extra cost, for sure!

Mac
Old 01-03-2017, 09:46 PM

Have T105s in my MH, 8 of them, 13 yrs old and still good, kept charged with 500 watts solar. but you have to look after them, equipped with water mizer caps to keep the fluid in them when equalizing them.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:50 PM

now your going in the right direction from the bottom of the rung (cambodia tire) to the best trojan. SOOOO you must be talking to somebody that knows what there talking about to even suggest the trojans.
the standard deep cycle battery will take discharge and recharge at 50%
approx 250 cycle were as trojan are approx 1000 cycles
http://www.trojanbattery.com/reliantagm/
now if money is no object the rolls/surrette is by far the best barring the lithium ion at $1000 + each
http://www.getlithium.com/4-Lithioni...batteries.html
Old 01-04-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdee View Post
.....now if money is no object the rolls/surrette is by far the best....
Be sure to price them out. I've found them to be cheaper than trojans when it comes to amp/hrs, particularly the larger 2V but sometimes even the 6V models. Lots of variables can work in their favour, such as shipping and core charges.

Flooded also last longer than AGM's, at least in my experience, though people tend to use AGM's long after they would have replaced flooded.

As pointed out for daily use, charge during day discharge to 50% during night, a trojan or quality battery can give years of use, a cheaper battery may be lucky to last a winter. And larger the bank (the more shallow the discharge) the better.

Never used a lithium bank of any size, can't see how they are ever worth it.