Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-29-2016, 03:18 PM

Default Coyote Hunting

Hey AO,

I was wondering if anyone could help a new hunter out with getting some yotes. I've been scouting WMU 328 for the past 3 months, lots and lots of signs of them and wolf as well.

I've been calling them from first light to last light with no luck. I think I have most of my bases covered, by that I mean I'm concealed, out of the wind, no skin showing, I'm silent ( well pretty darn close anyway ) and always in a ready position to not give my position away with movement. I'm using a handheld e-caller the wife got me last Xmas, it isn't the best ( Flextone FLX 50 ) but it makes better sounds than I can haha.

From all the reading I've done, I will call for 3-5 minutes, slowly increasing volume and then hurry up and wait a good 30-40 minutes before moving 2 km to a new spot. Everytime I'm out, I end up seeing deer galore but never a yote. I'm starting to think I am just no good at this or the coyotes are beyond smart in this area. I've even been out scouting just after sunset, listening for howls and communication so I can gauge where they are in the area. Just the other morning, I left home at 05:30 and went into my area as quietly as can be, parked and listened until sunrise and nothing.

I don't have any hunting mentor or advice as most of my friends do not hunt and the one that does likes to truck hunt and I prefer pushing bush. There's no merit in sitting in your vehicle in hopes something comes waltzing your way.

So, I guess what I'd like to know is, does anyone have any tips for a new predator hunter? I'm frustrated but not ready to give up!

Thanks everyone,

Dusty
Old 11-29-2016, 05:03 PM

Don't give up. If it was easy there would be way less coyotes out there. In my opinion they are one of the smartest animals in North America and the learn very quickly. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Don't give up. If it was easy there would be way less coyotes out there. In my opinion they are one of the smartest animals in North America and the learn very quickly. Good luck.
Thanks for the support! I do agree, they seem to be quite vigilant. I thought the young pups might be out on their own now and perhaps haven't been shot at yet so maybe they would be curious.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:01 PM

Coyotes can be hard to call at this time of the year during hunting season if there is alot of hunting pressure.I have found with my experience that if there is not alot of snow cover they are tougher to call because food is still easier to find.When the snow starts building up and colder weather comes along I notice that they will start responding to calling.I have had good luck with e-calls and hand calls but i had alot of failure when I first started out so dont get discouraged.One thing that I have found was that i was calling way too loud when i first started.If you are not calling over a wide open valley you dont need to call very loud.They have excellent hearing and will be turned off by echoing blasts into treelines.Again this is my experience not the "only" or the "correct" way.I hunt mostly in 242-246.Cropland surrounded by treed fencelines and slough bottoms with bush parcels as well.I have the best luck using snowshoe hare distress call on a cheap foxpro spitfire.I also use a moving decoy as well.The best time of day for me to call is first light.Another tip is to walk in a fair distance off the road if you are able and to wait 10 minutes after you set up before you start to call.Best of luck to you this season and sorry for the long winded response.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:36 PM

Dont be mechanical, try mixing up sets/routines. The above is very good advice, and most important dont give up!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:30 PM

Read everything you can. There's a veritable plethora of resources out there. I'm getting set to start Season 2. Empty-handed last season, though I could see I was getting better. Stick with it & stay flexible.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:42 PM

This is truly some great advice and I'm thankful for you guys chiming in! It's been a challenge but I won't give up.

The other morning I did get into position a good 20 minutes before the sun came up and only then did I start calling. I always start with a low volume but not so low that no one would hear it. I will gradually increase volume but never max it out, don't want to scare them away if they are near by.

I think I will invest in a mouth call as I can relay more emotion through it vs a recorded audio sample playing through a speaker. I've been thinking of getting some crow decoys as well and postion them in a good spot in hopes that could raise their curiosity.

I will say that I absolutely love the thrill of being out in the bush, solo, trying to call in predators! Heightened senses, awareness and patience really come into effect for me when I'm out. Also, it's always nice being out of the house for a good 10-12 hours, makes me tired at night haha.

Once again, thank you to everyone that's given me advice, this place is filled with generous folks!

If ever someone around Rocky would be willing to show a guy some tips and tricks in the field, I'm a great listener and follow directions to a T. Last thing I'd want was to ruin someone's chance at bagging a yote!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:43 PM

Last edited by wwbirds; 11-29-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 11-29-2016, 07:44 PM

You cant call them in if they arent there. I also bought a cheap e call many years ago although I had been successful on mouth blown calls squeekers etc for many years. First couple times I used it I walked 1/2 mile from house in snow and set up in shelterbelt tree row with main call on fenceline 100 yards away with bundle of feathers dancing in the wind from bottom wire of fence. No action.
My 17 yer old son at the time took the rifle one morning about 10 am with the electronic call and walked 70 yards from house to hang caller on fence near a frozen slough while he returned to the cattle chute. 5 minutes after his 30 second jackrabbit call sequence a coyote ran out of the cat tails to his call so he shot him. My theory is the coyote was probably asleep on a muskrat house or something mid morning so did not notice Sean approaching the slough or hanging the call. Proper set up is everything for if they see, hear or smell you walking to the stand you are busted.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
You cant call them in if they arent there. I also bought a cheap e call many years ago although I had been successful on mouth blown calls squeekers etc for many years. First couple times I used it I walked 1/2 mile from house in snow and set up in shelterbelt tree row with main call on fenceline 100 yards away with bundle of feathers dancing in the wind from bottom wire of fence. No action.
My 17 yer old son at the time took the rifle one morning about 10 am with the electronic call and walked 70 yards from house to hang caller on fence near a frozen slough while he returned to the cattle chute. 5 minutes after his 30 second jackrabbit call sequence a coyote ran out of the cat tails to his call so he shot him. My theory is the coyote was probably asleep on a muskrat house or something mid morning so did not notice Sean approaching the slough or hanging the call. Proper set up is everything for if they see, hear or smell you walking to the stand you are busted.
You bet! Signs point to them being around as their are tracks galore, along with tons of deer tracks as well. 328 is pretty big so I'm wondering if they just pass through my areas on their way to a den or something. I was tracking some tracks last week and they vanished into the bush where there's wasn't any snow. Follow some game trails for a bit but couldn't find any scat or tracks.

What really blows my mind is when I was hauling crude, these guys wouldn't care if my truck was rolling along or Jake braking, they'd just stare at me on the sidelines or yawn as I'd Cruze by! THE NERVE! Any time I'm not out looking for them is always when I see them. Luck of the Irish? Ha! Probably.

The one thing that has stuck with me since I've started is that, you can't call them from the couch! Haha, it couldn't be more true. I'm planning on going out again in the AM in hopes of getting my first one, as I have every other time. It's been nice and mild, no wind and I always have my back to the sun. I'm learning from my outings, 1 step at a time.

Once again, thank you all for the generous offers of knowledge and experience!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:43 PM

Make sure you play the wind and watch down wind.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Banned

I have yet to see a coyote in 328 in 5 years of hunting it see more in 330 closer to private land. If you want coyotes tons of private land all over Rocky that allow coyote hunting
Old 11-29-2016, 09:18 PM

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong really,just keep at'er,it took me a lot longer then I care to admit to bag my first called yote,and I agree they are possibly the most challenging critter to hunt,esp in Eastern Canada where I began and numbers are far lower then here in the west.
If I could offer any criticism at all,it would be maybe shorten up your sets?Not that there's anything wrong with 40 minute sets,and sometimes it can pay off,but the majority of the successful stands I've found the action comes quickly or not at all more often then not.....as in anywhere from immediately to 2-5 minutes from my first calls,either something is coming or not.
If I had to put numbers on it,I'd guess some where's around 60% of yotes n fox I've called showed up within first 5 min......maybe 20% within 5-10min,maybe 10% from 10-15,and the odd one(remaining 5%?) after the 15min mark?
I rarely ever stay on stand more then 15-20min unless I a)have a lot of confidence in location or b)it's my last stand of the day and not really time to move to another location before dark,or c) I'm just feeling lazy, lol.....or possibly it was a fair effort to walk in and might as well stick it out awhile?
So that said,I approach coyote calling as a numbers game,and my strategy is to get as many good stands in per day as possible.Even with just a 20 minute sit time,I'm often hard pressed to average 1 stand/hr on average between walking in/ out...settle in,drive or walk to next location...repeat.
But at the end of a full day I'd much rather get 8 or 10 x20 min stands in then 5-6 x40 min stands and find it to be more productive.Honestly,if I could just do 10 minute stands and get in 2 sets an hour that'd be ideal me thinks as vast majority show within 10 minutes,but it's just not practical nor even possible really between moving and set-up/settle down time,quiet approach n all,again,if I can average 1 stand/hr that's a good day.

Last edited by West O'5; 11-29-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I have yet to see a coyote in 328 in 5 years of hunting it see more in 330 closer to private land. If you want coyotes tons of private land all over Rocky that allow coyote hunting
Hmmmm, well damn! Guess I'm in the wrong spot! I've yet to venture into 330 as I don't really know the area. I'm not sure how to go about accessing private land to hunt them. I don't know anyone around here.

330 from the ochiese highway seems like tons of oilfield roads and leases galore. Should I just get out there and burn a tank in my car and see what's around?
Old 11-29-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong really,just keep at'er,it took me a lot longer then I care to admit to bag my first called yote,and I agree they are possibly the most challenging critter to hunt,esp in Eastern Canada where I began and numbers are far lower then here in the west.
If I could offer any criticism at all,it would be maybe shorten up your sets?Not that there's anything wrong with 40 minute sets,and sometimes it can pay off,but the majority of the successful stands I've found the action comes quickly or not at all more often then not.....as in anywhere from immediately to 2-5 minutes from my first calls,either something is coming or not.
If I had to put numbers on it,I'd guess some where's around 60% of yotes n fox I've called showed up within first 5 min......maybe 20% within 5-10min,maybe 10% from 10-15,and the odd one(remaining 5%?) after the 15min mark?
I rarely ever stay on stand more then 15-20min unless I a)have a lot of confidence in location or b)it's my last stand of the day and not really time to move to another location before dark,or c) I'm just feeling lazy, lol.....or possibly it was a fair effort to walk in and might as well stick it out awhile?
So that said,I approach coyote calling as a numbers game,and my strategy is to get as many good stands in per day as possible.Even with just a 20 minute sit time,I'm often hard pressed to average 1 stand/hr on average between walking in/ out...settle in,drive or walk to next location...repeat.
But at the end of a full day I'd much rather get 8 or 10 x20 min stands in then 5-6 x40 min stands.
Great advice and I will definitely try shortening my stands. I find I'm a little limited as 328 seems to be crowded with hunters most days. There's so much bush there, some decent cut lines and pipeline clearings but haven't seen tracks around them. There are also some areas I can't access because I no longer have a truck... Times were tough and had to downgrade to a car but it gets me places, hell it's probably been off-road more than some trucks in red deer!
Old 11-29-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_ View Post
Hmmmm, well damn! Guess I'm in the wrong spot! I've yet to venture into 330 as I don't really know the area. I'm not sure how to go about accessing private land to hunt them. I don't know anyone around here.

330 from the ochiese highway seems like tons of oilfield roads and leases galore. Should I just get out there and burn a tank in my car and see what's around?
I've both worked and hunted west of Rocky a fair bit,and the terrain/cover/habitat is quite similar to the tuff coyote hunting conditions that I grew up with back east in NB.i think you'll find gaining permission and targeting farmland and prairie yotes is alot more productive,bigwoods yotes are just plain tuff to hunt and far less predictable.They can be anywhere at any given time and approach your set from any direction.
At least with farmland habitat and limited cover,you can see where they are not,lol....and make an educated guess as where they'll likely be or come from.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I've both worked and hunted west of Rocky a fair bit,and the terrain/cover/habitat is quite similar to the tuff coyote hunting conditions that I grew up with back east in NB.i think you'll find gaining permission and targeting farmland and prairie yotes is alot more productive,bigwoods yotes are just plain tuff to hunt and far less predictable.They can be anywhere at any given time and approach your set from any direction.
At least with farmland habitat and limited cover,you can see where they are not,lol....and make an educated guess as where they'll likely be or come from.
Funny thing is I *live* on a pretty big farm but the owner is always out in the morning in the field feeding the cows and working. He told me to shoot them if I see them but he's always where they are lol! He says he shoots them when he can from the ol tractor. Another thing is the amount of cattle around. Really have to be cautious. I've been wanting to ask him if I can go to the adjacent section and set up there but I really hate disturbing busy people with little things like this.

Last edited by Dusty_; 11-29-2016 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Replaced love for live
Old 11-29-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Funny thing is I *live* on a pretty big farm but the owner is always out in the morning in the field feeding the cows and working. He told me to shoot them if I see them but he's always where they are lol! He says he shoots them when he can from the ol tractor. Another thing is the amount of cattle around. Really have to be cautious. I've been wanting to ask him if I can go to the adjacent section and set up there but I really hate disturbing busy people with little things like this.
This is your best bet! Where theres cows there will be coyotes its just a matter of finding them. As for the farmer owning the land odds are he will be gratefull for you wanting to get out and kill the calf eating buggers just make sure you ask what fields he wants you on or off and you should be fine. Setup in adjacent fields where curious cows wont get in your way and watch your fields of fire.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-30-2016, 06:35 AM

Not much snow yet, so they're hunting exposed rodents in the bush. Once that food source dries up, calling should become more productive.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Not much snow yet, so they're hunting exposed rodents in the bush. Once that food source dries up, calling should become more productive.
Yeah we are lacking a little snow out here. I'm hoping we get a dump soon because as you say, they are grabbing what they can right now. I still have lots to learn and I'm grateful.for all the advice everyone's provided!
Old 11-30-2016, 04:23 PM

I don't think I have as much experience as most of the other posts. But in my experience having your caller going for 5 minutes doesn't sound very authentic. Snowshoe hares don't have the lungs or the stamina to call for five minutes straight. I usually only call for 45 seconds to a minute, then wait five minutes. Within the first five minutes is when I get 60% of my coyotes. Then I will call for another 45 seconds and wait ten minutes. I always sit for 25 minutes as I have shot coyotes that took twenty minutes to come in. Nothing worse then standing up at the 15 minute mark and spooking a coyote trying to sneak in. But any thing over 30 minutes is wasted time as the other replies said. November is a tough time to call coyotes in for some reason. I don't start until the week before Christmas. I mostly hunt the 500 zones. Cattle country is your best bet like the other poster said. General farm land second and big bush last. I don't know if it is the presence of wolves in the area or what, but even in big bush areas with lots of coyotes they are hard to call in. If you are hunting big bush sitting for the thirty minutes is probably a good choice. I find big bush coyotes take longer to come in.

P.S. If you are hunting big bush be sure of your target. I have been calling in lots of lynx the last two winters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2027 (600x450).jpg (48.2 KB, 147 views)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post
I don't think I have as much experience as most of the other posts. But in my experience having your caller going for 5 minutes doesn't sound very authentic. Snowshoe hares don't have the lungs or the stamina to call for five minutes straight. I usually only call for 45 seconds to a minute, then wait five minutes. Within the first five minutes is when I get 60% of my coyotes. Then I will call for another 45 seconds and wait ten minutes. I always sit for 25 minutes as I have shot coyotes that took twenty minutes to come in. Nothing worse then standing up at the 15 minute mark and spooking a coyote trying to sneak in. But any thing over 30 minutes is wasted time as the other replies said. November is a tough time to call coyotes in for some reason. I don't start until the week before Christmas. I mostly hunt the 500 zones. Cattle country is your best bet like the other poster said. General farm land second and big bush last. I don't know if it is the presence of wolves in the area or what, but even in big bush areas with lots of coyotes they are hard to call in. If you are hunting big bush sitting for the thirty minutes is probably a good choice. I find big bush coyotes take longer to come in.

P.S. If you are hunting big bush be sure of your target. I have been calling in lots of lynx the last two winters.
When I am calling I won't be calling longer than 45 seconds to a minute like you said, my first time out I thought to myself; a rabbit is quite small so I should keep this short. I figured waiting a little but longer in the bush might generate more chance's of seeing the yotes because of the terrain and length they may have to go to investigate. My go to location is close to a flowing body of water so I'm thinking they are around but are smart and might have caught on to me before I even see them. I think I will have to make myself a decoy to help lure them in. It's supposed to snow a little tonight so I'll be out in the am looking for fresh tracks. I really wish I could go out every day because although i haven't been having luck, it's nice being outdoors and I get to explore new areas.

Just the other morning, about 300 meters from my turn off, there was 3 of em! Just sitting there next to the 11! I slowed down to have a look and they stayed there, staring at me yawning! The nerve! Hahaha!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
When I am calling I won't be calling longer than 45 seconds to a minute like you said, my first time out I thought to myself; a rabbit is quite small so I should keep this short. I figured waiting a little but longer in the bush might generate more chance's of seeing the yotes because of the terrain and length they may have to go to investigate. My go to location is close to a flowing body of water so I'm thinking they are around but are smart and might have caught on to me before I even see them. I think I will have to make myself a decoy to help lure them in. It's supposed to snow a little tonight so I'll be out in the am looking for fresh tracks. I really wish I could go out every day because although i haven't been having luck, it's nice being outdoors and I get to explore new areas.

Just the other morning, about 300 meters from my turn off, there was 3 of em! Just sitting there next to the 11! I slowed down to have a look and they stayed there, staring at me yawning! The nerve! Hahaha!
Dont constantly call the same place over and over. Even if you dont see a coyote they may have still busted you and all you are doing is educating them. Usually i try to wait 2 months or so between calling the same place twice.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-30-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Dont constantly call the same place over and over. Even if you dont see a coyote they may have still busted you and all you are doing is educating them. Usually i try to wait 2 months or so between calling the same place twice.
No, I don't call the same place but I do go back and verify for activity. I like to move a good couple of clicks from where I do call. Think 2km is good enough?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:32 PM

Smile Excellent post

Good advice too. All I can add is that you can add bait if you want near that spinning pheasant feather, and depending where you are hiding, if there is a barbed wire fence you can reach, rattling the fence an a fawn bleat may help.

If you are using mouth calls practice as much as you can.

The very best advice is DON'T GIVE UP. This experience will last a lifetime and you will get better every time out.

Good for you.

BTW 206 has lots.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Good advice too. All I can add is that you can add bait if you want near that spinning pheasant feather, and depending where you are hiding, if there is a barbed wire fence you can reach, rattling the fence an a fawn bleat may help.

If you are using mouth calls practice as much as you can.

The very best advice is DON'T GIVE UP. This experience will last a lifetime and you will get better every time out.

Good for you.

BTW 206 has lots.
I'd totally venture into the Stetler area but don't know anyone there... Given I'm on public land I can't use bait but I'm sure a couple dangling feathers could help! The one thing about bait is I can bait wolves after Dec something, I'll have to re read the regs for exact date but, I found quite a huge wolf print and by the looks of it, he had a smaller companion with him. The smaller print isn't in this pic unfortunately.

Size 12 foot for reference.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:33 AM

Smile 166

I don't know about the bait business but the county of Stettler has 164 1/4 sections owned by Ducks Unlimited and you can hunt there without permission. I have seen a few coyotes on the pheasant release sites.

I'm still on there with my dogs so pls don't shoot us.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I don't know about the bait business but the county of Stettler has 164 1/4 sections owned by Ducks Unlimited and you can hunt there without permission. I have seen a few coyotes on the pheasant release sites.

I'm still on there with my dogs so pls don't shoot us.
This is interesting because a 1/4 on its own is too small to bother setting up usually, but if it was adjacent to land a person did not have access to, he could easily call coyotes onto the 1/4.

I set up and call and know that for at least a 2 mile radius, coyotes will hear me. They may not be triggered to come in, but they do hear the call.

I often call along the Sask border and have coyotes come to the call. Non residents can't kill coyotes in Sask, but if the cross the border they are fair game.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-01-2016, 11:54 AM

I hunt coyotes down south in cattle country in 119. Lots of yotes. But I swear they know the exact date firearm season starts. Just after first light on the first day we pulled into the area we where gonna hunt. As we got geared up and ready to go. 2 yotes took off running from fence lines about a 100 yards away. Never seen them move so fast!lol by the time We got our guns loaded they where close to 4-500 yards away. Never seen yotes run that fast.Typically they will run a couple hundred yards and slow down, take a peak back. Not these 2. It was totally flat land too. Betcha they made it to Sask, by the time we headed out looking for White tail. It was like they knew something was up. Didn't see another coyote on any of the other days out there. Smart bastards! Haha. They didn't even risk comin out for our gut piles.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:33 PM

Geeze eh? Darn varmint! Running into another province!

I have some good news folks, I went over to talk to my land owner, brought him a can of maple syrup from back home in QC ( please don't make fun of me, I'm English Irish ) and we chatted for a bit and I asked him if he would be ok with me setting up on the west adjacent 1/4 given the cattle are to the east of it and he said no problem, just make sure you know what's beyond your target.

I am super excited to get out tomorrow morning and hopefully call in my first yote! There are plenty and he said he saw 4-5 this morning when he was feeding the cows, in the area I want to set up. He even recommended a fur buyer!

I will take all the knowledge and experience you guys have passed onto me and put it into practice tomorrow morning and hopefully have a nice story to tell.