Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2016, 12:49 PM

Default Griffon Comments

I actually own a Griff. He was picked up started at about six months and he is one of the best bird dogs I have ever hunted with. He has his quirks like all breeds and is very very different from my previous lab. He has a lot of energy needs two walks a day and can be overly sensitive so a patient training approach is required (do not use e-collar on him). He has a great nose and a very strong drive to hunt birds and will hold a point for minutes. He is an awesome family dog, is comfortable in the house and very loving towards his humans. At 3.5 years old he stills acts like a puppy a lot of the time but it is often entertaining and in a good way. He socializes well with other dogs and is not aggressive. We have no regrets at all getting a Griff and I would get another one (but my wife wont allow). Good luck.

Alba gu brath!
Old 11-17-2016, 01:49 PM

Smile See

Lots of anecdotes. Nothing wrong with that I guess but 18 months is an adult dog and I'd like some evidence that it has been hunted and how does it do?

In addition to the stories of how great these dogs may turn out, and they might, there are even more where they didn't.

I met a Griff breeder in Washington, and she told me that she thought the NA test was too hard, namely, point a bird for 3 sec., swim twice, and track a flightless pheasant. She opined that if you showed the dog a bird and the dog showed any interest, "that was Natural Ability" I replied that most hunters would want more than that. She went on to say that she was breeding for "thick paws and white teeth" and she was going to use a 10 year old sire. This breeder is apparently well known in Griff circles, she apparently has written a book.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:57 PM

When I decided to commit myself to a dog for the next 12 or so years, I researched breeders in order to find one that was well known for supplying pups that turned out to be good hunting dogs. When making such a large commitment, why wouldn't you go with the best odds of ending up with a good hunting dog? As far as training the dog goes, I have no interest in competition, but I do want my dog to be a good hunter, so I will take the time to train him to be as good a hunter as he can be. And by training him during the summer, the dog will be conditioned and ready to hunt, rather than taking weeks to get into hunting shape when the season opens. And no NAVHDA is not the be all and end all when it comes to training hunting dogs, but working with people that have the experience and knowledge to train hunting dogs, is a far better way for a new handler to learn to train a dog than reading books or watching videos.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:57 PM
Banned

I don't live with my dogs and they sleep in kennels they're always ready to rock no matter the time of year. I won't feed a dog I can't hunt retirement of course is different.

This hunt test stuff is almost comical if it wasn't so sad. Coming from a guy with his first ever dog and another that has just started breeding and bragging in the last 6 years.

Ya take advice carefully OP...
Old 11-17-2016, 06:13 PM

Default We get it

You dont like hunt tests or field trials and apparently only owning your first dog or breeding and bragging for 6 years doesn't cut it either but I will tell you we have seen more so called "hunting dogs" run out of control and ruin hunts than we have hunt test or field trial dogs. Usually it is the guys yelling at their dogs to listen while the field trial and hunt test dogs are under control. If you don't wish to play the game that is fine but you lose all credibility calling them comical. A lot of fine dogs were trained in field trials and hunting tests while a lot of the messes that show up free to a good home a year later are caused by the very people who know better than to train with a training group or compete at any level.
Quote:
I wouldn't put much regard into hunt test / field trial dogs either a dog with 60 days a year hunting wild birds vs a field trial dog hunting planted birds is going to hunt much better for you in non rigged situations.
You really don't know much about dog training if you think a dog hunted 60 days a year can compete with a dog trained year round. Come to think of it some of the same arguments sound as you give wild roosters magical powers that causes them to be infinitely more difficult to kill with a shotgun.

Last edited by wwbirds; 11-17-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
You dont like hunt tests or field trials and apparently only owning your first dog or breeding and bragging for 6 years doesn't cut it either but I will tell you we have seen more so called "hunting dogs" run out of control and ruin hunts than we have hunt test or field trial dogs. Usually it is the guys yelling at their dogs to listen while the field trial and hunt test dogs are under control. If you don't wish to play the game that is fine but you lose all credibility calling them comical. A lot of fine dogs were trained in field trials and hunting tests while a lot of the messes that show up free to a good home a year later are caused by the very people who know better than to train with a training group or compete at any level.

You really don't know much about dog training if you think a dog hunted 60 days a year can compete with a dog trained year round. Come to think of it some of the same arguments sound as you give wild roosters magical powers that causes them to be infinitely more difficult to kill with a shotgun.
I am sure you have seen all manners of the world’s finest dog’s roll through your place as it would attract that particular client… “Credibility”

I will take 60 days of mountain hunting chasing grouse over a chicken coop of your roosters any day thank you.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post

I am the first to admit that I have much less experience than many other dog handlers, and both my pup and I have a lot to learn. That being the case, I have seen a good number of older dogs, being handled by people with years of experience, that were less productive in the same conditions than my pup and myself. As for the breeder with only six years of experience, he must be doing something right, because he still has a long waiting list for pups, even after having three litters in one year. As for the person that seems so anxious to attack everyone else's credibility, I must have missed it when he posted the list of award winning dogs that he has bred and trained.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:04 PM

Well, this has become interesting. Someone sure has his panties in a bunched up, crinkly, smelly, crab-infested knot.

All I will say regarding field trials, hunting, or a combination of both, is this, and the smart people will get it...

The best batters in baseball take an awful lot of batting practice.

Last edited by sns2; 11-17-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am the first to admit that I have much less experience than many other dog handlers, and both my pup and I have a lot to learn. That being the case, I have seen a good number of older dogs, being handled by people with years of experience, that were less productive in the same conditions than my pup and myself. As for the breeder with only six years of experience, he must be doing something right, because he still has a long waiting list for pups, even after having three litters in one year. As for the person that seems so anxious to attack everyone else's credibility, I must have missed it when he posted the list of award winning dogs that he has bred and trained.

For a non-competitive guy you sure don’t act like it, other people park the wrong way at the release site and you post about it.

Maybe his dogs are better than he is?
Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Well, this has become interesting. Someone sure has his panties in a bunched up, crinkly, smelly, crab-infested knot.

All I will say is regarding field trials, hunting, or a combination of both, is this, and the smart people will get it...

The best batters in baseball take an awful lot of batting practice.
No kidding, that someone has nothing constructive to add to a thread, so he decides to fire off a barrage of personal attacks .
Old 11-17-2016, 07:19 PM

Default Yup

Quote:
No kidding, tha someone has nothing constructive to add to a thread, so he decides to fire off a barrage of personal attacks
Yup when you value someones opinion you pay attention and at least try to learn something or there is the ignore list
Old 11-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
No kidding, tha someone has nothing of any value to add to a thread, so he decides to fire off a barrage of personal attacks .
Your arrogance knows no bounds.
In my very first post I stated why the dog could be so much I also gave my opinion on another topic that was brought up by someone else.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:58 AM

Default Just got my Pup

Well I got home Sunday with my new hunting partner.
Duke of DeWinton.

Came from Chanpionsportdogs by Pigein lake area. Navda to if that's worth mentioning but this guy has his stuff together. A real gentleman and I have a great honour of training one of these great pups. He's a blank slate from a great line so the onus is on me to produce a well behaved and productive dog in the field. Can't wait
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0314.jpg (61.6 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by hunterfisher; 11-22-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-22-2016, 12:06 PM

congrats, cute little guy!
Old 11-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Banned

Default Hunter he's so cute .....

Fortunately for the Duke he will have access to some of
the most experienced pointing dog training minds available .
Let the games begin ....
Old 11-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfisher View Post
Well I got home Sunday with my new hunting partner.
Duke of DeWinton.

Came from Chanpionsportdogs by Pigein lake area. Navda to if that's worth mentioning but this guy has his stuff together. A real gentleman and I have a great honour of training one of these great pups. He's a blank slate from a great line so the onus is on me to produce a well behaved and productive dog in the field. Can't wait
He's already off to a bad start, doesn't know which way is up

kidding. Handsome pup. Have fun with the little guy.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:55 PM
Banned

Congratulations on the new pup! He's a handsome one
Old 11-22-2016, 03:17 PM

Default Thanks gents.

My bad on the photo. lol. He's already with his nose to the ground and foot up.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:17 PM

Default Can't tell if this is working

I was told that all i need is this dog training DVD so I hooked up an old DVD player and a tv the other day. I put the DVD in, placed it on loop and it's been playing by my dogs bed for the last two days so I hope he's learning.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:37 PM

Default update

just paid my deposit for one of the razorsedge pups! the excitement begins!
Old 01-03-2017, 03:02 PM
Banned

Default Good for you !

Stay in touch , there is somethings happening in Birddog training
close to Calgary .....
Old 01-03-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
Stay in touch , there is somethings happening in Birddog training
close to Calgary .....
I won't get the pup until late summer though.