Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 PM

Default Flames / Oilers . 2016-17 edition

So what do we have for this season ...

Edm has been lucky against the Flames in first 2 games ... or is it real ?

predictions welcome ... maybe a good ole battle of Alberta is back ...

FLAMES ----- finish above the Oilers

Last edited by Rio56; 10-19-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:47 PM

Almost at the halfway marker of the season and oilers have double the points. They won't catch them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2016, 08:12 AM

5 games in and the Flames still with 1 win. Tough start.
If the Oil can stay healthy they'll definitely finish above the Flames. I'm not sure either team should be counting on a playoff spot yet though.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:15 AM

Vancouver and Oilers #'s 1 and 2 in the league. Nobody seen that one coming
Old 10-21-2016, 08:35 AM

The Oilers aren't being manhandled like they were in other years, they also aren't being scored on every time they cough up the puck in their own end. I like what I've seen so far.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
The Oilers aren't being manhandled like they were in other years, they also aren't being scored on every time they cough up the puck in their own end. I like what I've seen so far.
2 of the biggest things I've noticed too.
Defense is looking solid for the first time in a long too.
Hope the injury curse goes easy this year and gives the boys a chance to play.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
2 of the biggest things I've noticed too.
Defense is looking solid for the first time in a long too.
Hope the injury curse goes easy this year and gives the boys a chance to play.
I wouldn't say the defence is looking solid they still have some trouble getting it out of their own end and they still seem to cough it up a bit to much for my liking. Except for the Sabtre game Talbot has been amazing.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:05 AM

Oilers fan here, so of course I love hearing the Flames slagging on sports radio here in Cowtown. But to be totally honest and realistic, all I can say is, it's early. Can't predict much of anything yet. I've seen many seasons in the past decade where the Oil were near the top of the division in October.

Still, Ill enjoy this. I'm just not ready to predict that the Oil are world beaters or the Flames crap quite yet.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
I wouldn't say the defence is looking solid they still have some trouble getting it out of their own end and they still seem to cough it up a bit to much for my liking. Except for the Sabtre game Talbot has been amazing.
I'm comparing it to the last 6 years lol. Yeah they're making mistakes but you can see that they have the ability and confidence to be in games.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:09 PM

I'm a bit shocked at the poor performance of the Flames, rough start sure but it's been ugly for them. I honestly thought they were going to be a for sure playoff team and if not top of the division. On paper they have a very sold defense corp, a great goalie (Elliot's save % from the last few years has been top notch), and they have some potency in their forward group. Elliot looked awful in the first two games and really leads one to wonder whether his save % is just a product of playing for the best defensive team in the league for the last few years. That all said, it's only five games in and they have a brand new coach so you have to give them a bit larger of a sample size to see what is going on and I expect the Flames to get it into gear and start showing what kind of hockey team they really are here soon.

Oilers off to a great start but not an overly pretty one. Every game so far has had its fair share of ugly spots, but plenty of improvement all around. Plenty of times in previous seasons the Oilers would have a bad shift of momentum during a game and completely collapse into themselves, but we're not really seeing that from the Oilers so far in this small sample size. If they can keep it up, lots of good things to be expected. It was especially fun seeing Lucic take control of the game last night in the third period. He hasn't played that good since he was on the cup winning team in Boston.

Also, Connor McDavid just continues to shock me. His speed continues to shock me. His hockey IQ and on ice vision is just crazy. He often makes plays out of absolutely nothing. Will be interesting to see how defenses around the league continue to adjust to attempt to contain him, and then see how McDavid adjusts to beat then.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
I'm comparing it to the last 6 years lol. Yeah they're making mistakes but you can see that they have the ability and confidence to be in games.
Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying it so far this year, at least there is some promise! Remember Hendricks and Davidson haven't played yet.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:30 PM

I cannot believe how different the Oil look this year compared to previous years... I am so used to seeing them lose battle after battle, game after game due to lack of size, strength and maturity. Its nice not seeing them get pushed around, but its also nice to see some NHL quality defense. Once they tweak a few things with their PP unit's lookout!
Old 10-21-2016, 12:45 PM

BC resident here and from now on I will pull for Edmonton. This Conner kid is a real treat to watch, Canadian and has respect for the game like the greats do.His development will be interesting to watch.He appears to move around the ice surface,create plays and just surprise the viewer like few can. And he's not a Yank,Swede,Russian etc.he is one of us....a Canadian
Old 12-22-2016, 02:43 PM

Default sooooo

right now the Oil are doin a rating of maybe B+ ... Flames B- .. does that look right .. could be some good OLE hockey games comin in 2017
Old 01-03-2017, 04:35 PM

Default Oilers vs CBJ

not an Oilers fan but I hope they wipe the CBJ completely ... CBJ have a 15 game whinning streak goin in ... So from Alberta .. here's the BOOT we owe you one Tortelli... lol