Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Banned

Default How do you cook your burbot?

Every one seems to think that burbot are good eating but whenever i keep one it seems to turn out kind of tough and chewy. I've tryed baking (realy chewy) and pan frying (still pretty chewy) and was wondering what everyone elses secret was.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Default Cooking Burbs

Try deep frying in beer batter mmmmmmm, boiling then dip in hot butter just like lobster, fry in oil with seasoning salt and spices or whatever way you can find to do fish. Lots of info on the internet if you google.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Deep frying in beer batter only way to go!!!
I too have tried them pan fried and found them less than appetizing.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Lightly pan fried with a touch of olive oil. No batter or spice.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM
jrs

If you're going to cook them in a pan put 1/2'' of oil in the pan and make sure its super hot before puting the fish in (flick a drop of water on the surface, should sputter and evaporate instantly). Even if you just put seasoned flour on the burbot it will cook nice and flaky this way. And don't over cook i, once each side is golden it will be perfectly done.

When you mention chewy did you by chance freeze the burbot for an extended amount of time? Burbot only has about a 2 month freezer life and the quality of it really heads down hill beyond that time. I've seen this factor cited as the reason burbot doesn't show up at the local grocery store. I didn't know this last season and when i thawed a few fillets i had saved this summer i was very disappointed. I looked it up on the web and noticed that issue had been experienced by others. I suffered through and still ate it as i hate to waste food but the texture was kind of brutal.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned

I havnt froze a fish in at least a decade, better to feast on the fresh fish. Once ate 2 30 lb salmon in one week, havnt ate salmon since, should have let one of them go.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Banned

great fish and chips
Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
great fish and chips
Bingo.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Get a 2 liter bottle of 7up. Dump into pot bring to a boil thats right no water just 7up. Add burbot chunks (about 2inch pieces) let boil for about 4 minutes. Keep a close eye not to let 7up boil over pot. When it is floating in pot it is pretty much done drain off 7up. Little salt and pepper, bowl of clearified butter, rice, salad. You will be amazed. Enjoy.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
If you're going to cook them in a pan put 1/2'' of oil in the pan and make sure its super hot before puting the fish in (flick a drop of water on the surface, should sputter and evaporate instantly). Even if you just put seasoned flour on the burbot it will cook nice and flaky this way. And don't over cook i, once each side is golden it will be perfectly done.

When you mention chewy did you by chance freeze the burbot for an extended amount of time? Burbot only has about a 2 month freezer life and the quality of it really heads down hill beyond that time. I've seen this factor cited as the reason burbot doesn't show up at the local grocery store. I didn't know this last season and when i thawed a few fillets i had saved this summer i was very disappointed. I looked it up on the web and noticed that issue had been experienced by others. I suffered through and still ate it as i hate to waste food but the texture was kind of brutal.
JRS Knows his stuff

Fish and chips.

I too lerned the hard way about having burb in the freezer a lil long. But when there is a 10 fish limit it's a good one to stock on. I use lemon pepper and flour, pan fryed in about 1/2 inch of canola oil. Now when I make Burbot the stuf melts in your mouth, no chewyness whatsoever. Fresh, this fish is hard to beat as an eater IMHO.

If you do freeze make sure it is submerged in water and frozen like that. This is key for any fish I find, when freezing that is.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:30 PM

I boil in salt water and eat as lobster. But the 7-up idea is going to get a test, sounds interesting.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 AM

I have to agree that freezing does hurt the quality of any fish.Further as a former chef I hate using commercial pre-packaged products,recentaly I have become impressedwith "FISH CRISP" fish coater. However I find some basic prep before any cooking method improves overall finished quality. First when I fillet the fish I further process it by cutting it into small medallions no more than 1/2" thick( the faster the fish cooks the less time it has to get tough). I then on a plate or in a plastic bag I marinate(?) the fish for 1 hour in fresh lemon juice and worchestershire sauce,1 lemon and 1 tsp worchestershire per pound of fish. Also if you have some old fish that is starting to get tough try soaking it in 2% milk for a couple of hours then rinse and prepare as above.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Default Burbot

I boil them for about 7 minutes then cut te meat into chunks and fry in a hot pan with lard, then season with spices, only fresh works for me.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 AM

As a chef I enjoy reading everones methods. My favorite is still making fish and chips english style, served with a nice cold glass of trad. Keep up the good work guys
Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Banned

My favorite fish batter is 1 cup flour 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp dill weed, 1 tsp chicken stock, 1/2 tsp parsley, 1 tsp roasted garlic. Then add beer or water until it's about the consistency of honey, dunk the fish in flour and then batter and deep fry until golden and fluffy, never tried it on burbot though.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:52 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I usually batter my burbot...My son is addemenant on his keto diet and respect him for it.......

I am trying to search out boiling recipes for burbot and what to do after boiling.. and cannot finding anything...I would assume frying it in butter and seasonings after boiled for around 7 minutes or so...

Can anyone suggest a good recipe without using carbs..

I caught my first burbs around 10 years ago and just cooked it in butter, salt and pepper and it was great...
Old 03-26-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I usually batter my burbot...My son is addemenant on his keto diet and respect him for it.......

I am trying to search out boiling recipes for burbot and what to do after boiling.. and cannot finding anything...I would assume frying it in butter and seasonings after boiled for around 7 minutes or so...

Can anyone suggest a good recipe without using carbs..

I caught my first burbs around 10 years ago and just cooked it in butter, salt and pepper and it was great...
Sous vide, or bamboo steamer, be creative with different spices.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:17 PM

Find them to be like black and pacific cod very soft meat steam fillets with milk or half smoke and steam
Old 03-26-2019, 09:28 PM

bought one of those non-stick pans and cooked up some trout straight to the pan and wow, closest to cooking over a fire without all that oil/butter. I do like butter but it does not like me. I also like my fish cooked, no batter, just straight up fish.

As for burbot, try the super non stick pan and just keep turning the fish. I don't filet burbot and imo the fish stands alone quite well without fancy pants dressing.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:01 PM

Chunked, shaken/coated in flour and your choice of seasoning salt/spices, dipped in evaporated milk, and then coated in corn flake crumbs.

They come out in golden brown nuggets. Then toss in homemade Honey garlic, cajun w/ blue cheese dip, hot honey, whatever sauce you like or enjoy plain. Learned the recipe for walleye while guiding in Northern MB. But burbot substituted is as good or better.

I guarantee you could get any kid or person to eat them.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Cube it up, boil it, dip in garlic butter....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-27-2019, 07:47 AM

I think 2 ways.

A batter/deep fry is an easy out.

Or boil in water with salt and sugar in it and then dip in garlic butter like lobster. First time i did it the burbs really had the chewier texture because i thinm k boiled it longer which i liked. This last fresh batch i did came oit really flaky and soft whoch on any other day i would have loved hahaha but i wanted the chewier texture for the poor man lobster style. I know - its ironic.

I still have some butbs from last year and i want to try them deep fried still. I will update when i do.

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2019, 07:54 AM

Butter in fry pan, just enough to oil surface
Get hot,
Drop in Serving size chunks
Squeeze lemon juice over
Cook 5 minutes covered, or until just done

If you want to dress it up, fry fine chopped onion first, stir in sour cream and a bit more lemon juice when fish is just done
Old 03-27-2019, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the ideas, definitely have to try the 7up method.

I love fish... so I thought I would give burbot a try. I have kept and tried burbot on 3 different occasions from 3 different lakes. I tried, battered and fried, onions and garlic like walleye, gross. I have tried boiled in salt water then lightly browned and then dipped in butter, gross. I have tried deep frying, gross. I would definitely like to try some from one of you guys that say they taste good. lol
Old 03-27-2019, 05:11 PM

If they taste like the mud in the lake, you are fishing the wrong lake.
My memories of prime burbot come from Kootenay lake.
Any cold deep lake that has them, will have superb tasting burbot.