Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Banned

Default Reading body language

I've never been a big proponent of this before, and I'm just starting to look into it. Doing some research and I found this body language reading of our PM and thought it was pretty interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJbLTkdcaFA
Old 01-01-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I've never been a big proponent of this before, and I'm just starting to look into it. Doing some research and I found this body language reading of our PM and thought it was pretty interesting.

I've spent some time looking at the science of body language.
It's interesting for sure.

People that pick up on nuances are at an advantage for sure.

Life is one big negotiation and has many sacrifices.
Some people give up too much info about what they are willing to give up.

Meow.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:07 AM

Default Body language

Animals use more body language than vocalizations. We had body language before we had verbal skills and it is still with us.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:16 PM
Banned

There is seminars that you can take about reading body language, quite interesting actually
Old 01-02-2017, 02:07 PM

The show "Lie to Me" was based on that premise. Was really interesting to watch.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:13 PM
AO Sponsor

People use it all the time. I try and read my customers to get a feel for what like and dislike before they even realize it themselves. It really helps a ton in sales. Also, think poker playing. No matter how much math you know, if you can pick up on a persons involuntary mannerisms, you definitely have an edge.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:07 PM

I'm a fan of the idea and think there is some real science behind it but as we can see in the video it is very subjective. I suspect it is about as accurate as lie detectors.

In this case the target is a politician and they are known for the ability to deceive, to have people trust them, to have people think they are strong or weak depending on what is needed to gain favour. They do not even think it is lying, some will claim it a sign of empathy or compassion or just being nice.

I've known a couple of people who went into politics but the best at it was a friend of mine. I've seen him adapt his body position and determine the correct side in a conversation within seconds of meeting people, even for the first time, even if it meant taking on very different core beliefs.

I found that skill to be most interesting. We all need to be able to do that to some extent otherwise we will be considered anti-social but some are much better at it than others I find it awesome.

Another interesting thing about it is that those who can read body language and adapt theirs should be trusted the least but that ability means we tend to trust them the most. As I said it is a very subjective science, so not really a science at all, but still very interesting.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
please explain
Old 01-02-2017, 05:04 PM

It helps in poker...however I also give off fake tells from time to time to see if anyone bites.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-02-2017, 05:10 PM

Default Body language

So, is Donald Trumps body language insinc with what he is saying.He never seems to be looking at anybody in particular?
Old 01-02-2017, 05:27 PM

Default base line

Just like on ' Lie to me,' you have to get a baseline from someone before you can read his body language. If you play poker, as someone has mentioned you know that they can give false information.
Trudeau is at the top of his game, all world leaders are like this. Whether you agree with someone's politics or not, it doesn't suddenly make the person less intelligent, it means you have misread the situation. In poker it costs you money and in politics it costs you your position to affect policy. In contract negotiations in can affect your union members their pension and benefits.
Misreading body language is much worst than not knowing body language because as the old saying goes,' a little knowledge is a terrible thing'. You come to rely too much on what you think you have figured out. Better to play to your strength. If you are better at analyzing what people say and do rather than their body movements, you will have a higher probability of reading intent, source of influence, and future actions. The deer that crosses a certain trail at a certain time can be successfully hunted, but a deer that has certain body movements on a trail cam means much less to my hunting success. The deer can fake you out and they do so more often than not.

There is no shortcut to good observation and note-taking in the field. The same in poker and politics, but it is fun to watch on TV.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:45 PM

Hey Rug

Are you married? Reading body language is very important for a husband.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:57 PM

Forget the shifting, arm and leg movements, I knew he was lying as soon as I saw his lips moving.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:13 PM

I can watch somebody at a hundred paces and know exactly what they will do. People are very predictable.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
I can watch somebody at a hundred paces and know exactly what they will do. People are very predictable.
It took 33 years but this is why I perfected the blank stare. Ask the wife how reading that works.