Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-16-2007, 12:08 AM
7 REM MAG

Default My new pup(pic)

got this guy from atlas kennels in lethbridge,picking him up on thursday
Old 01-16-2007, 02:32 AM
lethalconnection

Cute lil guy. Im sure hes gonna make a fine wingman.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Craftyhunter

If I remember correctly he should be related to whiskey creeks line???? If so he'll be more than a good wingman.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 PM
CBR hunter

What a good looking lab! Have fun and happy training with the little guy. With those lines he'll definetly be a great wingman! Take care and have fun
Old 01-16-2007, 06:17 PM
7 REM MAG

yeah i sure hope that hes a good retreiver,and hope that he's not cut short by cancer like my last dog
Old 01-16-2007, 06:46 PM
lethalconnection

Have you come up with a name for him?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:44 PM
7 REM MAG

not yet were waiting until we get to know him for a little while, any suggestions would be more than welcome
Old 01-17-2007, 01:33 AM
BeerSlayer1

Does he have some attitude? Are you using him on pheasants? How about COCKY?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:54 PM
CBR hunter

If you want to do as much for him to help avoid the potential for cancer, other than the obvious fact that genetics play a major role. I suggest that you should feed him either a no grain, holistic food (ie Innova EVO, or Orijen(canadian made excellent food)) or a raw dog food diet(horizon is canadian made and amazing food). I feed a kibble, raw combo to my dogs and can attest to the amazing benefits, also I have taken many classes, seminars regarding nutrition, along with first hand experience regarding the problems with grains in dog food, etc. I am also actively involved with a canine cancer research foundation and have a lot of info regarding this problem also. Food plays a very significant role in their health. PM me if you want some info on where to get these, and any other nutritional info if you want to.

I think Titan would be a good name for him!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:37 PM
nube

How does the grain in the food cause cancer? It seems like a lot of dogs get it and wondered if food made that much of a difference.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:37 PM
CBR hunter

It's not exactly that grains cause it. But can contribute, esp if a dog has it. Cancer feeds on grain carbohydrates, eliminate the grains and slow the cancer growth. High levels of vitamin A fight cancer so if you do the two in conjunction you can fight it and also reduce the chances.

It's very unnerving that 67% of our companion animals will be lost to cancer, and it's as high as 87% in golden retrievers. Unsound breeding practices, poor nutrition, and even environmental factors are being shown as contributors.

Grains biologically speaking are not good for dogs, they were never meant to eat them, but scientifically they are digestible and a cheap way of feeding our dogs. So pet food manufacturers put them in the food. A no grain, high protein, low carb (with carbs coming from fruits and veggies)food is a more biologically appropraite food and is closer to what wild dogs/wolves etc eat.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:20 PM
nube

Thanks for the info. You seem to know a lot about it.