Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2006, 01:22 PM
willy

Default weatherby vanguard vs rem sps?

Gonna buy a new 270 win kinda narrowed it down to these 2 guns both stainless like the vanguard and was wondering if anybody has 1 and what they think of it? Gonna use it for everything from antelope to moose. thought of the WSM but ammos to much money and i have everything to reload the 270 win.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:36 PM
jrs

I didn't like the vanguard myself, the guy at the gun counter couldn't get the bolt to go back in when showing it to me and it looked odd. I've never heard any good reviews of this gun in person, just the odd account on the internet. I'd take the remington sps over the vanguard but it may take some work to get it shooting great (thats what i've been told by several owners, some are gems but some need special attention). The remingtons a decent looking rifle and does feel pretty good on the shoulder. I almost bought one but went with a tikka instead (i stuck with the WSM too but mostly because thats what all my friends are shooting and i had enough money fo it at the time). I like your caliber selection too though , nothing wrong with a good old 270. I've never regreted buying any of my guns though, just make sure you take what you like best, it'll grow on you.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:04 PM
yo yo yo ho ho ho

Default yo yo yo ho ho ho

Neither:b

Remington Smemingotn, Weatherby Smeatherby.

pic20.picturetrail.com/VO...310752.jpg tikka tikka goooo tikka

pic20.picturetrail.com/VO...310763.jpg cheap 130 grain fusion ammo 20 bucks a box, first day shootin

www.tikka.fi/
Old 12-22-2006, 03:20 PM
sps vs vang

Default sps vs vang

I don't have either but I have picked both up and handled them and I found when i closed the bolt on the vangaurd it had a little movement in it and it was bulky for my shoulder.The SPS had a tight bolt and felt comfortable.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Mike W

Default Re: sps vs vang

Blakeypoo
Love your gun man I was thinking of getting the Sako grey wolf 7mm short ...pretty much the same look Love the feel of the palm swell on the tikka/sako guns
Old 12-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Love Tikka's

Default Love Tikka's

Awesome value, still tempted to try out a sako one day...i like the feel of the finnlight. Had a basic black t3 .243 that shot the lights out with factory ammo too, someone on this board has it now, he sent me a pm not long after....he was very happy with his 300 yrd groups...

I'm still lookin for the perfect predator calling gun, lightweight semi-auto .243 with 10 round mag...no one makes it though , gonna open a few coyotes up with that .270 this winter though. Should be fun.

B
Old 12-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Prdtrgttr

Default SPS

I own an SPS in a 204. I like the feel and look of it much better than the Vanguard. IMHO the vanguard felt really cheap. For the price the SPS is hard to beat. Good luck to you.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:04 PM
varmitr

Default Re: SPS vs wby

im a fan of quality and ballistics that wby provides (i have 2-257wbys)
but i would not recommend the vanguard action. if your looking at a wby, get a real wby. like prdtrgtr said it feels cheap, and it is.
coversely, i just bought my kid a mod700 mountain rifle in 280rem. it is unfair to compare the sps to its own high end cousin, the fit and finish is 2x the sps.
bottom line:
select your gun from several samples dont just take the first one that the dealer flops down on the table. look for flaws, fit and feel.
ballistically the 270 is excellent choice
good luck
Old 12-22-2006, 06:38 PM
weatherby vanguard vs rem sps?

Default weatherby vanguard vs rem sps?

I own a weatherby vanguard rifle in the .30-06. I have had success with it, but I do not recomend this make. The synthetic stock is unable to handle the recoil and the gun has never really "felt" right. In .270 it might be better, but I don't particularly like the model.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Bruce

Default sps vs vanguard

I have a 700 SPS DM in 7mm-08 and I'm really happy with it. The only downside is that the trigger is kinda heavy. I may get it lightened by a gunsmith soon, but that's the only complaint. It shoots tight groups, looks good and feels great, and is really great value for the $$$.
Savage's are decent too if you can get past the ugly synthetic stocks, with a better trigger and no recoil pad.

Ho Ho Boom, guns for Christmas, Bruce
Old 12-22-2006, 07:13 PM
albertaboy74

Default Re: sps vs vanguard

IMHO, find a rifle that fits you well and feels comfortable. If you pay a bit more to begin with, you will not regret it. and you will have many years of great shooting.

Finding the right rifle is like looking for the right woman, it may take a while but when you do find it, it is worth the wait.

Good luck in your search, and I agree, .270 is a exellent cal.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Bruce

Default ...

And at least with rifles(unlike women), if you don't like it in a few years, you can buy another one and the first one usually doesn't mind :lol

B
Old 12-22-2006, 08:24 PM
splitbrow

Default Re: ...

I have a 270. vanguard and I have shot everything from antelope to moose with it. It is a very simple bare bones gun that shoots very well. I found it very durable, and have had no problems with the synthetic stock in the 11 years I have had it. To be honest the synthetic holds up much better than my buddys tika that seems to be showing the wear and tear (plus i think his replacement plastic clip is 150$)

I love this gun for packing since it is very light and has held up well after numerous knocks and bangs.

Definelty no complaints, the main thing with any gun is that first it feels right and second it kills what you point it at.

if you want some pics pm me. It is the only rifel I use for big game and I love it. You can see in the pictures how it is still like new, despite killing alot of critters during its adventures around the country side...

split..
Old 12-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Mackaylake

Get a vanguard with wood or 700 bdl or cdl. The factory synthetic stocks on these guns suck.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:24 PM
bruceba

Bought the SPS in 270 for my kids this year. Shoots real smooth with the 130 gr fusions. I used a 200 yrd target at 100 so the squares are 2" across. 2 kids 2 shots 2 deer.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:19 PM
lgu5

vanguard!
Old 12-23-2006, 10:22 PM
bigbore

SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS SPS

love them and look forward to owning more
Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Okotokian

Default Re: ...Vanguard vs SPS

pertinent article in August 2006 Petersens Hunting. Was for 30-06 rather than 270 but compared 5 "affordable" rifles. Vanguard, CZ550, Reminton 700 BDL, Savage 114 American classic, and Ruger M77 MK II. While not reviewed, I can't imagine the SPS would be rated MORE highly than the BDL.

All were good, but Vanguard and CZ were most accurate and were both rated highly for value. Might want to take a look at the article.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:48 PM
M70

Both of these rifles are on my shortlist for my next purchase. For those of you that own a vanguard, do you have the straight stock or the monte carlo stock? A friend of mine has a Mark V and he claims that the weird looking monte carlo stock seems to handle the recoil better than a traditional stock.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Mackaylake

I have a BDL and a vanguard. The vanguard has a wood monte carlo stock. I think all the bad reports on the vanguard have to do with the plastic stock. I like both of mine equally. And the BDL is much better than the SPS.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 PM
varmitr

M70
"A friend of mine has a Mark V and he claims that the weird looking monte carlo stock seems to handle the recoil better than a traditional stock. "
it looks different..yes.
but the feel of the wby and cheek weld to me are much more important. if were up me, id wild it out even more...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 PM
VANGAURD

Default VANGAURD

I bought a Vangaurd two seaons ago and have no complaints. Mine has the Monty, is blued and sythetic. 300 WIN and shoots very smooth and accurate with managable recoil. The Vangaurds will soot 1 inch groups out of the box.
I choose this rifle because it fit me right when shouldered and for the price a guy doesnt mind getting it dirty.
Great overall utility rifle