Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2006, 06:50 AM
bigbore

Default Another one for the freezer (pics)

thought it would be a good idea to hunt yesterday morning a hour or two after i got home from a brief call in to work, so drove out to 338 just for the kicks, and managed to fill a Supplemental doe tag for the freezer. Forgot tripod yet again:x

i swear my sleep is suffering this season, had to pull over and sleep on the way back from calgary last night.

Gonna be hunting hard this weekend friday and saturday, and try to fill the other doe tag, a buck tag, and the wifes buck and two doe tags. Life doesnt get any better

just a tad "tired" in this pic, >D
Old 11-07-2006, 09:55 AM
jrs

Default Good work

Nice doe, good shooting. Sure she'll taste good as well. Congrats and good luck this weekend.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:22 AM
JohninAB

Default Re: Good work

BB, will you stay out of 338. At the rate you are going be nothing left for me!

Snuck out to the field this morning and seen a couple of decent whitey's and a ton of does (man they are big too), tomorrow morning if they are there, something will go down.

And why did you not call???? I am getting a complex here!:rollin
Old 11-07-2006, 11:51 AM
bigbore

Default Re: Good work

i would have called this time John, but i got the impression you were busy. There gonna be a next time Dying to hunt that field again.!!
Old 11-07-2006, 12:29 PM
jacobmu

BB, what are you shooting?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:43 PM
grandzillaa

Way to go partner, ya better keep heading west. You all come back here with another pic ya hear? :smokin
Old 11-07-2006, 01:27 PM
bigbore

jacobmu........................... i was using the wifes .270 win, cuz i havent replaced the gun i sold to Crafty yet, and to chicken to bring out my CDL in fear of getting a scratch on it:b

it is a stainless SPS .270 we picked up on a good deal last time out in Manitoba . Leupold mounts/rings and elite 3200 scope. Bullets are Federal Fusion 130 grain.

the wife is dying to start kickin ***** and take names this weekend with it.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:56 PM
gonefishin

Good job BB. Those are going to be some good eats. I filled a sup tag yesterday also (having tenderloins for supper tonight!!!).
Old 11-07-2006, 06:11 PM
GoonBag

Way to go Bigbore. Chalk up another successful hunt
Old 11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
prairieboy

You are certainly on a roll this year BB.Congrats.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:32 PM
jrs

I thought of one thing i'd wonder if you'd be willing to share. Do you see a relatively high number of deer in the areas you hunt just driving or walking around or are they tough to find in the fall? I worked about a month and a half just west of where your at the past two summers and saw about forty fifty whitetails a day in late July and early August. I was in the area late August as well and saw more whitetails than i ever see where i hunt. Just curious, i'll probably be hunting up there a bit next year (i've found some pretty decent looking spots and hunt where work may take me) and just wondered how it goes. I talked to some bowhunters in late August and they said all they ever really hunted was elk in the area, they figured better whitetail spots were North of that zone. Just wondering what a succesful resident of the area thinks. I never saw any monster bucks but thats probably just my luck. A few mulies, elk, and the odd moose seemed to be around, oh, and black bears in a couple areas just west, lots of em. I figured the bowhunters were trying to scare me away as i found all there tree stands and well used elk trails I'll stay out, its their spot but i'd be a little protective as well.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:16 AM
bigbores taking al

Default bigbores taking all the deer in 338 lol

Congrats on the fine season your having this year, a year most of the fellas I know only wish they could have.
Where in 338 do you like to go,maybe we will cross paths some day.Great pictures of the bear,made me smile!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:10 AM
bigbore

Default bigbore only took 1 deer so far from 338

JRS, theres lots of deer in there, Shot my biggest whitetail with John last year in the area, and could have filled 5 or 6 years worth of supplemental tags on that very same hunt. I dont know the area well enough to say much more, other than each and everytime i hunt the area by myself, i end up in a new and different location. I tried to find my elk kill site as well, as i left a flashlight behind.

Bigbob? bear pic?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:54 PM
jrs

Default Re: bigbore only took 1 deer so far from 338

Thanks Bigbore, thats cool to hear. I know some areas i see them all summer then hunting season comes around and theres no tracks in the snow, no rubs etc, they just vanish. I really enjoyed working in that area. Lots of critters and some really pretty little creeks. Found a few shed and stuff as well but nothing amazing. Thanks for responding though.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:02 AM
bear pics

Default bear pics

Your little guy dressed like Pooh,cute little guy.Something about 338,lost my walkie talkie first weekend went out last year.Went out following Saturday with my dad,six inches of fresh snow and only one hour of light to look,no luck.Next weekend went out and met Morb and Vince and oldblue.Following weekend we went
out for three days,found it Thursday morning,put it in the charger and works just fine!lol
Old 11-09-2006, 02:01 AM
grandzillaa

Default The deer you want and you can't do a thing.

Do you know how tuff it is to see deer only 300 yards from your house and you can't do a thing about it except take a few pictures. Here are the deer I want right inside the Village limits(mulie does and a nice buck), and 2 times a week I see them, but while out hunting 30 mins from home nothing. At one time, and this was before I put up a fence for my greyhound and the two terriers, they ate in the back yard. Most every week in the winter of 2003 they where thier. Well I hope montermuly can help me fined that muly doe this Friday. Well bigbore my nephew says there are a lot of deer in 337 this year, he sees them went he brings cement to new oil/gas sites. Are favorite area now has one hugh oil site now, well that may make our not so easily spooked deer more spooked for this year. Thats no big deal, as you know I don't need whites I need muleis. Well these next 2 or 3 days may very well be my last hunt for the season. This well be my shortest season since 2000. Next year even shorter yet. But I found some new areas closer to home so that will help during bow or rifle season of next year. Well keep up the great hunting.
Scott
Old 11-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Nice

Default Nice

Nice w/t doe Bigbore .
Old 11-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Brady

Default Re: Nice

Nice doe there buddy. Hmmm looks like the Bigbore house is gonna be eating good this winter.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:48 PM
cdnr

Default Re: Nice

Nice doe,