Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 03:54 PM

Default Ohv use

Looks like you can use ohv in most zones now before noon
Old 08-10-2020, 04:22 PM

Thats not good
Old 08-10-2020, 04:27 PM

Angry

That’s how I read the changes in 2020 regs. Only some areas of the 400’s are restricted
Old 08-10-2020, 04:42 PM

I just went through the regs online ,could not find anything please post link thanks.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:47 PM

Its in there.
Only restricted till noon in WMU 400-446.
This is not good news.
Page 38 of the PDF regs.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:53 PM

That sucks .
Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 PM

Doubt much will change. Not many followed the old rule anyways.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:41 PM

The regs keep getting more and more difficult to fathom out. I think they are really attempting to make it more and more difficult to have an enjoyable hunt.

ATV use early in the morning will ruin many areas where hunters haul in a camp for some peace at sunrise.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:06 PM

As someone who walks in, I’m not looking forward to the additional motorized traffic
Old 08-10-2020, 06:13 PM

not a fan of this. is this stuff a product of lobbying or just changes from within the department?
Old 08-10-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Doubt much will change. Not many followed the old rule anyways.
True. The hills are going to be a gong show this year. Not that it wasn't before.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:50 PM

Not a fan of this at all.

LC
Old 08-10-2020, 07:16 PM

I saw that too. I can't see it making any difference. There was zero enforcement and it never seemed to stop anyone from running around on quads before noon. There has also always been the exemption for bear hunting.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:53 PM

Default Quads

I think I am just going to hunt and fish whenever I want ,I have always followed the rules even as a guide for over 20yrs .I am just getting so sick of how hunting and fishing is changing in Alberta, Now a hunter cant even have some quiet time in the morning without quads driving by
Old 08-10-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I think I am just going to hunt and fish whenever I want ,I have always followed the rules even as a guide for over 20yrs .I am just getting so sick of how hunting and fishing is changing in Alberta, Now a hunter cant even have some quiet time in the morning without quads driving by
Likely won't make much difference.
I often use a atv to access hunting spots and retrieve game. Before I always went in early enough to be off the machine before the legal time. Others I know would just stash firearms in cases in the bush then quad to them in the morning. Many don't obey the rules at all and hunt at all hours off them. Then there's those guys in razors and dirt bikes who arnt hunting at all yet rip up the trails all day long from Aug - mid Oct. Atvs are not new in the bush and it's never stoped me from harvesting before. I'm almost happy as most guys will not venture far off trails now and the added machine traffic will move game around more and push them into the harder areas to hunt .....Just where I like them. I highly doubt there will be much difference in the areas I hunt. Quads can't get into the really thick stuff and that's where game goes when pushed. As long as what guys are doing is legal all is good with me.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:35 AM

I agree that I don't see it having much impact other than leveling the playing field for those that actually follow the rules.

Seems like it was one of the most abused laws out there with little being done about it.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:12 AM

It had always bothered my, although years ago, that while walking quietly down a cut line in early AM, and here comes a 4x4 truck, as they were not an ATV.
Might even be part of the reason of the rule change.
Trucks could, so now ATV’s can now.
I’m of no opinion on the matter now, I only hunt our own pc.

TBark
Old 08-11-2020, 08:11 AM

I guess I get to sleep in a bit in the mornings now.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:34 AM

The negative aspect of being able to use a quad before noon really depends on what area of the province you hunt.

I used to love hunting in the SE corner of the province because you could walk for miles in the morning and not have to worry about seeing a quad. They will be like maggots cruising the tops of coulees everywhere now...

As for up north bush country, their use is limited to roads or wide trails so its not too hard to get away from them. Most areas I hunt have allowed them in the morning and its never been an issue.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:47 AM

Default love hate relationship

I hate this since now the machine hunters will be out full force on where tires can go at a time where its nice when its quiet, but i love it since it pushes animals where tires cant go and where i like to go. Nothing is worse then when you are trying to listen to elk but its being drowned out by the noise of a machine. If it was my way I'd have kept the OHV restriction or added more zones not reduced. I will certainly be voicing my concern, there is an argument in safety since 90% of guys who hunt off a quad dont wear a brain bucket... now add a loaded firearm and some good greasy hills and logs darwinism.... haha
Old 08-11-2020, 10:13 AM

Hunted both, with the noon restriction and where not in later years. In the northern zones you expected a rush of atv's right before sunrise. Then they were gone to their spots and most took the easy trials and avoided the crap, so if you were not scared to winch through a couple spots, you almost always had an area to yourself. Never affected my hunts because you knew how it would go down each time. Get to your spot, let the rush go, peace and quiet.

Had more than one long morning walk screwed over by hunters on atv's before noon in a restricted zone. I didn't know, I hid my rifle case in the bush, what's it matter to you were some of the excuses.

I follow the rules and some didn't, I actually prefer the all day quad zones. You knew what to expect and having a couple quads go by didn't affect the game I seen in the crown land. I knew the areas and where the game was. Quad to it, get off and walk/sit/call and watch. More than I can count would I see game come out not long after a couple hunters cruised by.

I'm sure the foothills and some southern zones will become a highway at first light but no restriction hasn't really taken away any chances at game in the big bush of the north in my 30 yrs of hunting it, my two cents anyway.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:20 PM

While this won't really affect me at this point I'm not happy about it. I've never seen someone flaunting the rule prior, but now guys will just cruise for tracks instead of hiking and enjoying the peace and quiet.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:21 PM

Got to say not a fan of this always got miffed when I hike in to a stand Id set up and some guy comes tooling by in the morning

Now no use even bothering to take down plate # on the few occasions the twit had one.

Had to scare one feller when he hopped of to take a look at a game camera I had set up over a huge deer scrape during archery only time Funny thing he was one of 4 reported but the only one that had a Disabled permit Go figure.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I agree that I don't see it having much impact other than leveling the playing field for those that actually follow the rules.

Seems like it was one of the most abused laws out there with little being done about it.
This.

Fish Cops didn't even know where to start trying to enforce this law. Therefore, change it. I agree with many others -- I don't see this changing much in all reality of the hunting season.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Some of the places I hunt I can't get in or have to spend the night to get to an area due to this restriction but perhaps now a 3am ride in will be in order....15-20 clicks back and restricted to noon or later was a bit of a pain....don't get me wrong I hear both sides of this issue....peace and quit then a jacked up jeep comes by....really don't see the an issue and if you read some posts before I have seen animals leave....then I hear or see a vehicle....then 10 minutes later they come back out....alll good.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-12-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Some of the places I hunt I can't get in or have to spend the night to get to an area due to this restriction but perhaps now a 3am ride in will be in order....15-20 clicks back and restricted to noon or later was a bit of a pain....don't get me wrong I hear both sides of this issue....peace and quit then a jacked up jeep comes by....really don't see the an issue and if you read some posts before I have seen animals leave....then I hear or see a vehicle....then 10 minutes later they come back out....alll good.
You could always use your quad to get to your hunting spot as long as you were off a hour before sunrise.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
You could always use your quad to get to your hunting spot as long as you were off a hour before sunrise.
And stayed till noon. As a family guy with kids having to stay out until noon makes many days not possible to hunt. Ie. Saturday...kid has something at 1 pm in town town is 45 min drive. Would have to be home by noon to change ECT. Hunting is not much of an option that morning. Much of my hunting area requires about 1-2HR of walking to get to the game or a 8-15 min atv ride. Now it opens up those few early hours that would have previously been a no go. Where I hunt there's no shortage of machines running before the change. For me it just makes things easier and gives me more opportunities to get in shorter morning hunts. As a father ( sole provider) my hunting times are limited as it is between work and life w 6 young kids. This opens up a few more hours during the season.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
that's what I said a 3 am ride would be in order....

Old 08-12-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
that's what I said a 3 am ride would be in order....
THIS was always in effect
Old 08-12-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
THIS was always in effect
YUP...agreeing...as in my initial post....got options just sometimes you like to move to another area after a few hours in stand...now you can on an ATV...with guns....in some wmu's.