Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Default Lead Weights

I am looking at rounding up some lead weights from vehicle tires. Called a local tire shop and they don't see them much anymore. Does anyone know of where else a guy could find some lead??
Old 06-06-2018, 10:04 AM

Take a screwdriver and pliers to your local auto wreckers. They most likely will let you take them for free as lead is a hazardous material and they would have to pay to dispose of it properly.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-06-2018, 10:28 AM

A few years back I got a bunch of sheet lead fittings from a roofing company they were happy to get rid of it.
Tip;
Melt the lead on a piece of expanded metal over a 5 gal. steel pail 1/2 full of water as the lead melts it drips into the water hardening into pellets.

I used a tiger torch and a respirator, read up on lead it's nasty stuff to work with.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Take a screwdriver and pliers to your local auto wreckers. They most likely will let you take them for free as lead is a hazardous material and they would have to pay to dispose of it properly.
I recently repaired a heater at an auto wreckers (Bucks Auto Parts), it heated the sea can that houses the tire machines where they strip off the tires and there was a 5 gallon pail of pull-off lead weights right there. I'm sure they have their waste streams monetized, but that's not to say you might not be able to swing a pail by paying 5 cents a lb more than whatever their normal client is paying. Those outfits aren't missing much when it comes to getting all the value out of things.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Ok. Your willing to risk the posssiblity of lead poisoning for 40$ worth of lead weight.

Yikes.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Ok. Your willing to risk the posssiblity of lead poisoning for 40$ worth of lead weight.

Yikes.
Where exactly did anyone note about eating it? One fellow mentioned a respirator even. I assume you don't work in any form of a trade, lead is not like Ebola or Aids for Pete's sake. I used a pipe dope with lead powder in it for around 16 years until I transitioned to lead-free varieties simply as a precaution. I had heavy metals tests done at many check-ups and have been absolutely fine. Sheet lead, solder with 50% lead, solder with 5% lead, pipe dope with lead; I've worked with them all for 3 decades and I'm 100%.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Where exactly did anyone note about eating it? One fellow mentioned a respirator even. I assume you don't work in any form of a trade, lead is not like Ebola or Aids for Pete's sake. I used a pipe dope with lead powder in it for around 16 years until I transitioned to lead-free varieties simply as a precaution. I had heavy metals tests done at many check-ups and have been absolutely fine. Sheet lead, solder with 50% lead, solder with 5% lead, pipe dope with lead; I've worked with them all for 3 decades and I'm 100%.
Yes.

And 40$ is 40$.

Ok.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:20 PM

I'm more worried about inhaling the acidic flux fumes when soldering than I am about lead. Something that heavy simply does not stay airborne....
Old 06-06-2018, 11:13 PM

I have scrounged my fill for the foreseeable future. Bring a box of Doughnuts to CT service department at a slow time. Ask them for their scrap wheel weights and have a bucket with you. Half full is plenty heavy to load in the back of your truck.

My resent hauls are still about 70% lead, 20% zinc 10% junk and cigarette buts.... Be careful and if you have no experience smelting, check the Cast Boolits site or send me a PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:26 AM

You will have more luck at the Mom and Pop shops than you will at dealerships or national chain stores. Most of them have signed an agreement nationally for the recycle people to come and pick them up.

Look for the big rig truck tire shops, most of the WW will be big and lead and not small and zinc. The donut trick goes a long way to starting a good relationship.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:32 AM

ctc, sells lead fishing weights. from 1 to 5lb balls rather cheaply. no need to eat donuts.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:57 AM

Diving weights are another option, sometimes they come up on Kijiji. Though depending on the mold sometimes it does not pour well. though sinker molds are typically pretty tolerant.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 PM

Auto weights are still lead they are just coated with paint now
Old 06-07-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Auto weights are still lead they are just coated with paint now
There are a significant amount of steel and zinc wheel weights on the market now.