Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 10:33 AM

Default Finding Howa 6.5 Grendel...

Hi Fellas,
Been chewing on Grendel 6.5 for a while now looked at a Ruger American Ranch with 16” barrel although not in 6.5, was ok. I think Profit River may have the Ruger version.
Looking for Howa 6.5 Grendel, with 20” heavy barrel ideally in OD green. If anyone could assist in directing where to source one would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance guys.
j
Old 10-21-2020, 01:36 PM
Banned

i'd email clay at prophet, that's where my two howa's came from, i'm getting out of howa's so pm me if you're interested in chassis, all the chassis accessories, i have the standard 22" barreled action, a 20" lightweight (the rare unicorn) original mdt lss chassis (fde color) and new gen 2 xl version (black) and the standard black stock could probably put back together for ya, have lots of the AR accessories, grips, butt stock options for a chassis set up also

for now keeping the 20" lightweight it's in a modified mdt lss original that Henry milled nearly half pound out of it (7 oz) and it's set up for the kids, super lightweight but adjustable set up and shoots lights out, the 22" barrel hasn't had a shot put down it, i originally pulled it off for a chassis build right away and put 24" carbon on it

in calgary if you wanna see a collection of how grendel stuff and pick and choose a build, i'd drop the barrel and action off to Henry with the go no gauge and he could snug that back up and can put together factory 22" or chassis build of your choice, i price very reasonably
Old 10-21-2020, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
i'd email clay at prophet, that's where my two howa's came from, i'm getting out of howa's so pm me if you're interested in chassis, all the chassis accessories, i have the standard 22" barreled action, a 20" lightweight (the rare unicorn) original mdt lss chassis (fde color) and new gen 2 xl version (black) and the standard black stock could probably put back together for ya, have lots of the AR accessories, grips, butt stock options for a chassis set up also

for now keeping the 20" lightweight it's in a modified mdt lss original that Henry milled nearly half pound out of it (7 oz) and it's set up for the kids, super lightweight but adjustable set up and shoots lights out, the 22" barrel hasn't had a shot put down it, i originally pulled it off for a chassis build right away and put 24" carbon on it

in calgary if you wanna see a collection of how grendel stuff and pick and choose a build, i'd drop the barrel and action off to Henry with the go no gauge and he could snug that back up and can put together factory 22" or chassis build of your choice, i price very reasonably
How much weight would you save with the magnesium chassis?
Old 10-21-2020, 09:18 PM

Brent at Neerlandia Co-op is another good source. No website, but lots of selection in store or can get it.

Have you looked at CZ? A bit more pricy but has a ton of good models
Old 10-21-2020, 10:00 PM

https://store.prophetriver.com/ruger...rel-mfg-36926/

Prophet River has the Ruger American with AR mags in 6.5Grendel
Old 10-22-2020, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
How much weight would you save with the magnesium chassis?
not sure, the aluminum chassis started at 1 lb 13 oz, Henry got it down to 1 lb 6 oz pretty easily (7 oz reduction), then i had it cerakoted, you need about 4.5 oz for the buffer tube and castle nut, then you can get a 6-7 oz mission first battlelink minimalist butt stock, so transformed the little howa into a fully adjustable to fit anyone with barely any weight penalty and maybe it would be straight across with their hunk o junk hogue stock but i never weighed the factory stock,

with the 20" lightweight barreled action in it and a leupy vx3i 3.5-10x40 cds in talley's it's sitting about 6 lb 10.5 oz all up right now, ergo slim grip as well, about 2.5 oz for that from recollection...it bothers me how well the little shat shoots, it's a tack driver in field or at range, i just absolutely hate their magazines

i've set about a plan to do the bell and carlson sporter stock (2.0 lbs) for both my howas as theirs at least two guys now making aluminum hinged floor plate kits so i can get rid of that stupid magazine, they will make pretty sweet little rigs when done but not really super budget oriented, one will be a 18" with fixed 4x should be 5.8 lbs all up (it has slabbed action and fluted bolt/hollowed bolt handle -3.0 oz) and the second i'll leave at 20" with the vx3i and should be about 6.5 lb all up

i have the cz, ruger american and howa...for some time now...howa is the last on my list of buying, cz american is at the top, ruger american right behind it

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 10-22-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:26 AM

Stinky Coyote,
What’s your rationale for the CZ first followed by Ruger then Howa? When I picked up the Ruger American Ranch (can’t remember the caliber), the bolt fit was not as I had expected and the stock between the butt and grip looked cheesy to me. Thus the Howa, really would prefer something in short barrel (like 16-18”) to carry on the UTV and non wood that can be bumped and not dinted, scratched. Would like something short handy, nice to pack on UTV and truck in Grendel me thinks... have a bunch of calibers and think the Grendel would be a nice addition, Low recoil, good ballistics, accurate, not hugely expensive.
Thanks, for your insights in advance.
j
Old 10-23-2020, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburbot View Post
Brent at Neerlandia Co-op is another good source. No website, but lots of selection in store or can get it.

Have you looked at CZ? A bit more pricy but has a ton of good models
No not really will have a look see thanks for the suggestion.
j
Old 10-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
Stinky Coyote,
What’s your rationale for the CZ first followed by Ruger then Howa? When I picked up the Ruger American Ranch (can’t remember the caliber), the bolt fit was not as I had expected and the stock between the butt and grip looked cheesy to me. Thus the Howa, really would prefer something in short barrel (like 16-18”) to carry on the UTV and non wood that can be bumped and not dinted, scratched. Would like something short handy, nice to pack on UTV and truck in Grendel me thinks... have a bunch of calibers and think the Grendel would be a nice addition, Low recoil, good ballistics, accurate, not hugely expensive.
Thanks, for your insights in advance.
j
Case for CZ 527 American in 6.5 Grendel
Hunter Perspective
Positives:
1. True Micro Action, the most horsepower you can fit in that platform.
2. Controlled round feed, robust quality build and metal work.
3. Slim efficient micro sized 5 round detachable magazines of great quality.
4. American stock, slim, fantastic feel and handling.
5. Overall rifle feel and handling.
6. Bolt handle locks down on safe.
7. Accurate
8. Reliable
9. Durable
10. Excellent adjustable single stage trigger with good feel and position.
11. Reputation, for quality and accuracy.
12. They seem to get sweeter with time, they just keep seasoning in and endearing the owner as they feel better and better over the years.
13. Good level of pride of ownership due to quality and the above.

Negatives:
1. Grabby/sticky in cycling the action at times, especially when new and not broken in. Tough to match the best of sako/tikka/howa or other push feed actions but this also isn’t a push feed action so it might be asking a little too much to have it compete at that level in this category.
2. Benefits from pillar/glass bedding.(american models)
3. Non-stainless barrel. Would prefer stainless if anything for the chamber, to ensure max protection from moisture/rust as a hunting rifle that may see extended mountain hunt time and corresponding moisture. So would likely upgrade barrel to stainless on any future CZ Grendels.
4. Safety is pull to fire instead of common push to fire (non-issue for me but bothers others).
5. Action smooths with use and time, can be sped up with cycling couple hundred times with jb bore compound for polishing. See point number 1.
6. Feed lips of magazine also benefit from polishing to lesson the feeding drag from the stout magazine spring and smooth the overall cycling.
7. Trigger can have a little creep, but with patience one can get almost all of it out, just have to put a little locktite on the screw that sets this and let set overnight. My last one got to 2 ¾ lb pull with just a hint of creep you can only notice going real slow dry firing in hand but don’t seem to notice even doing bench work and target shooting, certainly won’t notice during hunting. Tikka/sako own the factory trigger market but this trigger is right underneath it and has better blade and feel under your finger imo.

The howa a nice short little micro action, slick feeding push feed. They are accurate, dislike the trigger blade feel, multi lined ridges, it’s too curved, and two stage, seems a little further back in relation to grip or bolt, it feels cheap, the CZ is in another league for the important reasons although it’s easy to adjust the howa to whatever pull you want. Would have to see about one of the couple other triggers out there for them, like timney or triggertech I believe, one of those companies is Canadian perhaps?
Then I’d need to do the bell and Carlson sporter stock for the howa and one of two guys in the states making aluminum hinged bottom metal for it. Maybe a stainless barrel swap and then the little howa would be fantastic…a lot of work/cost to go through to make the dam thing right. Makes the cz package look more attractive and you get a detach mag with the cz.

The ruger needs zero outside work, better trigger than howa. Better stock. The action is full size though but at least it takes 10 round AR mags, it's a workhorse beater imo, awesome little carbine. The feel and handling is good too.

The cz just has the most 'it factor' to me. Ruger is next fav. Howa i only like the little action itself.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 10-23-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:19 AM

I like my Howa but the factory stock is terrible. Mine will get replaced after this season. Not sure if it will be a synthetic or Boyds laminate with a lot of slimming, drilling and hogging out of wood. I see the excel lite chassis for sale in NZ for NZ$399 (CAD350) and they are apparently 500g. I just can't warm up to the look of a chassis though.

I fit a DPI aluminum bottom metal and trimmed one of my magazines down to a three round and as short as it can go and still fit. Much nicer to hunt with. The DPI unit makes the mag release much stiffer, which is good, and they also make a horizontal mag release if you want. The Jefferson hinged floor plates do look nice.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:13 AM
Banned

even boyds walnut are chunky and heavy, they have one that's supposed to be lightweight called the spike camp, listed at 2.5 lbs, although one youtube guy said it feels way lighter than that, the bell and carlson synthetic sporter looks not only more proper in trim and slim to suit but it's listed at 2.0 lbs, so to save you some time, i'd consider the B&C synthetic above anything boyds for the little howa

for reference, the cz american walnut stock was exactly 2.0 lbs on my cz grendel, i took it apart and weighed it, so that's my benchmark, happy with 2.0 lbs for these little rigs, i have a boyds at-one laminate for the cz also and it is 2 lbs 13.5 oz...it's for sale if anyone wants, adjustable to fit kids, zombie green laminate, they are thick, chunky and heavy, better for bench type work imo

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 10-23-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:45 AM

@ Stinky Coyote, @ Kayaker, thanks for your insights Fellas, much appreciated.
j
Old 10-23-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
even boyds walnut are chunky and heavy, they have one that's supposed to be lightweight called the spike camp, listed at 2.5 lbs, although one youtube guy said it feels way lighter than that, the bell and carlson synthetic sporter looks not only more proper in trim and slim to suit but it's listed at 2.0 lbs, so to save you some time, i'd consider the B&C synthetic above anything boyds for the little howa

for reference, the cz american walnut stock was exactly 2.0 lbs on my cz grendel, i took it apart and weighed it, so that's my benchmark, happy with 2.0 lbs for these little rigs, i have a boyds at-one laminate for the cz also and it is 2 lbs 13.5 oz...it's for sale if anyone wants, adjustable to fit kids, zombie green laminate, they are thick, chunky and heavy, better for bench type work imo
I would be pretty aggressive at drilling out and filing down a Boyds, probably a classic or platinum shape. Listed as 2.8lbs, think I could get 0.8 lbs of wood off it. Spike Camp is light, but ugly! B&C does look good, about $200 more.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I would be pretty aggressive at drilling out and filing down a Boyds, probably a classic or platinum shape. Listed as 2.8lbs, think I could get 0.8 lbs of wood off it. Spike Camp is light, but ugly! B&C does look good, about $200 more.
ya and as long as your time isn't worth more than $200...have at'er

i'm not typically a B&C fan but the sporter for the Howa actually looks like a great option

i'd rather buck up for the B&C and have extra time to play with myself, or anything else lol