Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-23-2020, 10:16 PM

Default Christensen Mesa - Update

Anyone have any experience with a Christensen Mesa? Just put one together for a young fella who has yet to shoot it. Now, I got a hankering for one too. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:47 AM

I have one in 6.5 PRC.
Very pleased with it.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:31 AM

I have a left handed one in 6.5CM. Decent rifle out of the box for sure - lots of high end components and a good price point.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:45 PM

I have one in 6.5 PRC as well. I looked into building a custom but for the money figured I couldn’t go wrong with the Mesa. Fit and finish is excellent, fairly light weight, good parts list. Feels well balanced to me and it shoots good.

I topped mine with a Leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 cds and a 30mm tube mounted with talleys.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:53 PM

I like the Christensen rifles, but I am not a fan of balance that the pencil contour barrels, like the Mesa produce. Even my Traverse has less weight in the barrel than I prefer. But they do come with good triggers, and the fit and finish is very good for the price.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:09 PM

Have one in 7 RM. nightforce shv, atrs rings, Burris bases. 9 lbs loaded and ready to hunt. Not using the brake.

.466 (3 shots) with factory 150 gr ttsx. Put the data into my app and got first round hits on a 6 inch target at 200/300/550 in 20-30 k wind. Killed my first elk, one shot offhand at 208. Barrel cleans up very quickly (and no I didnt do the break in nonsense)

Didn’t like the 139 lrx - 1.2-1.4” figured it could do better, it did.

Pretty much perfect. Fit, finish, function, bedding all as it should be. Trigger breaks cleaner than anything else I’ve used. Recoil is straight back and not even remotely a concern.

Similar to elk, I did not like the balance of the 6.5 PRC at all. The difference between the two could not be more noticeable.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:58 AM

Not a Mesa but I handled a Ridgeline in .280ai that I strongly considered buying. With the muzzle brake that thing was so damn long.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
Not a Mesa but I handled a Ridgeline in .280ai that I strongly considered buying. With the muzzle brake that thing was so damn long.
Just remove the brake and install the thread protector. It's just too bad that the thread protectors are not the same weight as the brakes.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:41 AM

I liked the young fellas gun so much that I bought one in 7 Rem. I liked mine so much that I bought one for my son in 7 Rem also. With minimal load development they are both good shooters too, and shoot the same load well under moa which is a bonus. The way I would describe them is a Remington 700 done really right. When I look at the price point, and the components used, I feel they offer exceptional value.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I liked the young fellas gun so much that I bought one in 7 Rem. I liked mine so much that I bought one for my son in 7 Rem also. With minimal load development they are both good shooters too, and shoot the same load well under moa which is a bonus. The way I would describe them is a Remington 700 done really right. When I look at the price point, and the components used, I feel they offer exceptional value.
After working up loads for the two Mesas and one Traverse, I am impressed with Christensen. As was stated, a 700 clone, but done well for the price.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:18 PM

I really wanted to like the couple I have handled, as shooting lefty really limits my choices of higher end rifles, but the pencil thin barrel and non bolt locking safety don't do it for me. I would prefer a #2 contour barrel and less weight elsewhere. Can you say NULA? Great trigger, nice stock, good ergo fit.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I really wanted to like the couple I have handled, as shooting lefty really limits my choices of higher end rifles, but the pencil thin barrel and non bolt locking safety don't do it for me. I would prefer a #2 contour barrel and less weight elsewhere. Can you say NULA? Great trigger, nice stock, good ergo fit.
I said Nula twice. At first I thought I had a dud so I ordered a second one. I regret selling the Montana to buy the Nula but I’ve since moved on to bigger and better things. I know rifles have to fit properly and the Nula’s fit nice but neither one was impressively accurate and both had issues with the safety like the safety on a Remington. One time while still hunting I heard an animal coming through the woods towards me so I knelt down and took the gun off safety then boom! The rifle went off. Had I not done that then I would have done it at my truck and who knows what could have happened. Needless to say I ordered new triggers for both and the Nula’s went down the road. I had Stuart from Wildcat composites build me a stick for my win m70 featherweight and I think it’s my favorite rifle to date.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
The long action magnums do have a heavier contour barrel than the short action rifles that I handled. The difference in the balance between the two is very significant.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The long action magnums do have a heavier contour barrel than the short action rifles that I handled. The difference in the balance between the two is very significant.
Totally different contour barrel on the magnums. Not a pencil barrel at all. Having said that, I liked the feel of the 7-08 also. Full disclosure, I am a huge Kimber Montana fan, so the thin contour barrel does not bother me in the least.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Brewster, comparing the cost of a Mesa to a NULA is like comparing the cost of a bottle of Baby Duck to Dom Perignon
Old 10-22-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Brewster, comparing the cost of a Mesa to a NULA is like comparing the cost of a bottle of Baby Duck to Dom Perignon
There is no doubt the Mesa is priced reasonably.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:57 PM

Hey, where are you guys getting your Mesa's from in Alberta? Anyone in Calgary happen to have one I could shoulder?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2020, 04:14 PM

I have a mesa long range in 6.5 PRC shoots lights out, look at prophet rivers web site if your looking for one they have a good selection

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Hey, where are you guys getting your Mesa's from in Alberta? Anyone in Calgary happen to have one I could shoulder?

Thanks!
Got mine from prophet river
Old 12-01-2020, 05:51 PM

https://store.prophetriver.com/christensen-arms/

Old 12-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Too bad they can’t learn to fit a recoil pad.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:

And you liked yours so much I bought one too. What a pleasure to shoot. I might wear the barrel out come spring time developing loads. If all your shots make one big hole it's a good thing right?

It's a beautiful rifle. I love it!
Old 12-02-2020, 05:59 AM

I've was going to get a Mesa in 6.5PRC from PR next week. The more I looked at the powder required to really bring out the best in the cartridge, the less enamored I became with it. Some of those powders I've never even heard of, some, the availability sucked. Then I decided I was going 7rem mag in a Mesa. Then yesterday lo and behold, Clay tells me he's got a couple CA Ridgeline's in 280AI coming in. That's the one I've been waiting for! I pick it up next week. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah Leo! Thank you Santa Clay at Prophet River!
Old 12-02-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I've was going to get a Mesa in 6.5PRC from PR next week. The more I looked at the powder required to really bring out the best in the cartridge, the less enamored I became with it. Some of those powders I've never even heard of, some, the availability sucked. Then I decided I was going 7rem mag in a Mesa. Then yesterday lo and behold, Clay tells me he's got a couple CA Ridgeline's in 280AI coming in. That's the one I've been waiting for! I pick it up next week. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah Leo! Thank you Santa Clay at Prophet River!
I actually like the design of the 6.5prc, but I am not a fan of the stock design of the Ridgeline/Mesa, so I went with the Traverse. I just don't like the narrow rounded fore ends, and I actually prefer a it more weight. Once I removed the brake, and the noise became more tolerable, I am very pleased with the rifle. The Triggertech trigger is as good as it gets, and it didn't hurt , when it shot the factory load I tried to under 3/8moa. Once I obtained some ADG cases, my first handloads did just as well, with a it more velocity. As for powder, I am liking R-26, good velocity, and virtually no copper fouling, and Bashaw Sports had a good supply, so I have a few pounds, enough to last me a long time. I had two rifles in 280AI, and R-22 was the most accurate for me, with the best velocity as well.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Way to go buddy! What color stock?
Old 12-02-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
The 280AI should be sweet in the ridgeline nice x-mass present to yourself

Old 12-02-2020, 08:57 AM

I'm hoping to snag the Mesa in a .308