Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 06:07 PM

Default Exotic ranch hunt Alberta/Saskatchewan wanted

As the title says.....

I’m looking for a ranch/farm hunt for sheep or turkey or something interesting. Not really looking for wild boar.

We were planning to hunt Kansas for Whitetails then go to Texas for Aoudad this November with some clients of ours but no dice with the borders closed. So..... this leaves my boy unable to hunt this fall because for some reason Canada has the absolute worst youth opportunities in the world.

Looking for something fun for him, let me know if you know of somebody that has something that will fit the bill. TIA
Old 10-24-2020, 06:25 PM

A guy on FB Alberta Hunting Addicts posted a few adds for Sheep and Turkeys.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
A guy on FB Alberta Hunting Addicts posted a few adds for Sheep and Turkeys.
Was that the guy who's page had pictures of the "game" still in their pens with him standing by them?

To each their own, I couldn't hunt like that
Old 10-24-2020, 07:46 PM

I believe its called silvertines
Old 10-24-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
I believe its called silvertines
Silvertine is in Saskatchewan. If you want Alberta try JP Hunting Adventures on Facebook. Exotics rams and turkeys. They’re near whitecourt.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:06 PM
Banned

I know a guy that’s hunted a lot of critters at silvertine
One of the only places you can possibly get a wissent
Bunch of different animals and it’s close
Not my cup of tea but some people like it
Old 10-24-2020, 08:31 PM

I know Rob Dunham has some animals in the Lloydminster area.
Dunham’s High Caliber Ranch I believe it’s called.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Was that the guy who's page had pictures of the "game" still in their pens with him standing by them?

To each their own, I couldn't hunt like that
Well you’re not 7, so I wouldn’t expect you to be sad about missing an out of country hunting trip and just wanting to hunt something lol
Old 10-24-2020, 09:10 PM

Default Now this is just my opinion.

Each to their own.
I’m not a fan of the owner of silvertine. I guided with him years ago and he wasn’t very ethical then and probably not very ethical now.
I also lent him my backpack once for a stone sheep hunt and he destroyed it. It would have been fine if he offered to replace it or even apologize for it but his attitude was basically sorry about your luck.
The only possible way I could figure that he could destroy that backpack so bad is he loaded the sheep in it and kicked it down the mountain.
Just my personal experience with Steve.

I’m still ****ed about the backpack.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:43 PM

I thought you were able to fly to the US.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
I thought you were able to fly to the US.
I can fly to the US, unfortunately I’m not the problem. When we get back we have to isolate for 14 days. For me its easy, I’ll just go to the lodge or the Trapline and relax. For the boy he can’t go to school, hockey or boxing for 14 days from when we land back in Canada. We just got back from a week of Antelope hunting and there’s no way momma bear will let him miss another 3 weeks of school to go stateside.

I wish Alberta/BC would let us partner youths on our licenses so they could hunt before they are 10 or 12, what’s the difference who kills the animal ?
Old 10-24-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I can fly to the US, unfortunately I’m not the problem. When we get back we have to isolate for 14 days. For me its easy, I’ll just go to the lodge or the Trapline and relax. For the boy he can’t go to school, hockey or boxing for 14 days from when we land back in Canada. We just got back from a week of Antelope hunting and there’s no way momma bear will let him miss another 3 weeks of school to go stateside.

I wish Alberta/BC would let us partner youths on our licenses so they could hunt before they are 10 or 12, what’s the difference who kills the animal ?
Agreed. He's 7. The memories from such a trip stay with him for a life time. We need to encourage our youth to come out in the field with us and see if they'll carry on hunting. Once the tags are bought and paid for, who cares who pulls the trigger? I feel it's the overall experience that counts.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:36 PM

This does not belong in the Hunting forum.
Maybe try the buy and sell miscellaneous.

Hunting is the pursuit of Wild Animals.
By definition, by both common language and the law.

The last thing AO needs is for the hunting forum to become diluted with the commercial killing of livestock.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-24-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

The last thing AO needs is for the hunting forum to become diluted with the commercial killing of livestock.
It’s hunting, and it’s for a 7 year old kid. Who cares if he shoots a wild boar, or a sheep, or a turkey on a farm ? How does that effect you ?

I’m pretty sure I spend more time then 99.9% of the people on this forum pursuing wild animals every year, and believe me if it was legal and we didn’t have those stupid rules in place my kid would have killed a 60 inch moose this year, and a cranker mountain caribou. He also would have shot a beauty of an Antelope yesterday, but I won’t break the law regardless of how stupid they are.

So here we are.....

Last edited by leo; 10-25-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:

You are one heck of a hypocrite, last year coming on here using this forum to send a message about your friends actions on how they were going to slow down our economy and something along the lines of an act of war against the people of Canada .Now you chirp about some kid going on a hunt,you got balls ,but there stuck in the wrong place.

JD
Old 10-24-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
It’s hunting, and it’s for a 7 year old kid. Who the Fack cares if he shoots a wild boar, or a sheep, or a turkey on a farm ? How does that effect you ?

I’m pretty sure I spend more time then 99.9% of the people on this forum pursuing wild animals every year, and believe me if it was legal and we didn’t have those stupid rules in place my kid would have killed a 60 inch moose this year, and a cranker mountain caribou. He also would have shot a beauty of an Antelope yesterday, but I won’t break the law regardless of how stupid they are.

So here we are..... go cry somewhere else if you don’t agree with letting a kid hunt the only way we legally can this year.
Hope you find what your after,i just got my grandson his youth hunters ed 2 weeks ago who just turned 12.

I never had a chance to be able to take him out or teach him anything till this year.He wasn't brought up in any type of hunting or fishing lifestyle,so it's all new to him.

This summer he caught some very nice lake trout and other types of fish for the first time,he got 3 limits of grouse so far .

Biggest thrill in my life is showing him what I wanted to do years ago and now he is just right into it.It's like I won the lotto.

Your son is a lucky kid and those times out both of you will cherish forever .
Best of luck finding a place.

JD
Old 10-24-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Hope you find what your after,i just got my grandson his youth hunters ed 2 weeks ago who just turned 12.

I never had a chance to be able to take him out or teach him anything till this year.He wasn't brought up in any type of hunting or fishing lifestyle,so it's all new to him.

This summer he caught some very nice lake trout and other types of fish for the first time,he got 3 limits of grouse so far .

Biggest thrill in my life is showing him what I wanted to do years ago and now he is just right into it.It's like I won the lotto.

Your son is a lucky kid and those times out both of you will cherish forever .
Best of luck finding a place.

JD
Good on you for getting your grandson out JD, he’ll never forget the time you spend together and the lessons you teach him.

I’m sure I’ll find something for him to hunt, and he certainly won’t care if it’s only a quarter section of fenced in bush or not lol
Old 10-25-2020, 05:39 AM

Great job on starting them early I brought my son on lots of my early guiding camps Caribou camps, bear cams Fishing lodges I think he was about 9 when he first started coming turned into quite a good Hunter

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:

Why bother? You ever have anything positive to say? Clearly this is for his kid. Big deal if it ain't your cup of tea, it is for the OP. You likely have no problem with your keeper of the land friends indiscriminately slaughtering game under the headlights, so don't moralize a guy asking a legal question. Sheesh.

Tork, Silvertine is probably it. BUt you know, people also have fun with boars at Hog Wild out by Mayerthorpe I believe. Good eats afterward too. Best of luck with the boy.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
As the title says.....

I’m looking for a ranch/farm hunt for sheep or turkey or something interesting. Not really looking for wild boar.

We were planning to hunt Kansas for Whitetails then go to Texas for Aoudad this November with some clients of ours but no dice with the borders closed. So..... this leaves my boy unable to hunt this fall because for some reason Canada has the absolute worst youth opportunities in the world.

Looking for something fun for him, let me know if you know of somebody that has something that will fit the bill. TIA
You do realize that you can buy over the counter sheep tags, elk tags, black bear tags, and whitetail tags right!!!! I’d say those are some pretty good opportunities. With you being a big guide I’m sure you could get one of your outfitter buddies to take the kid on stone sheep, dall sheep, moose or a caribou hunt. I’d say being able to legally hunt at age 12 is pretty good. A 7 yr. old you should maybe take him coyote, or rabbit hunting. Go shoot lots of gophers!!! At that age it would be fun for the kid to just tag along with old man.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Why bother? You ever have anything positive to say? Clearly this is for his kid. Big deal if it ain't your cup of tea, it is for the OP. You likely have no problem with your keeper of the land friends indiscriminately slaughtering game under the headlights, so don't moralize a guy asking a legal question. Sheesh.

Tork, Silvertine is probably it. BUt you know, people also have fun with boars at Hog Wild out by Mayerthorpe I believe. Good eats afterward too. Best of luck with the boy.
I second that in regards to Hog Wild. I bet your son would really enjoy taking a hog there. Earl and Deb are fantastic hosts!
Old 10-25-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
You do realize that you can buy over the counter sheep tags, elk tags, black bear tags, and whitetail tags right!!!! I’d say those are some pretty good opportunities. With you being a big guide I’m sure you could get one of your outfitter buddies to take the kid on stone sheep, dall sheep, moose or a caribou hunt. I’d say being able to legally hunt at age 12 is pretty good. A 7 yr. old you should maybe take him coyote, or rabbit hunting. Go shoot lots of gophers!!! At that age it would be fun for the kid to just tag along with old man.
Thanks for the information RC
Yes, I’m aware of the over the counter opportunities in Alberta lol ! And I’m more of an outfitter then a guide these days so if I wanted to take him hunting for moose, or caribou, or Elk I would likely just take him in my own guide area. And without a doubt once he’s of legal age one of my outfitter buddies would take him Stone Sheep or Dall sheep or Grizzly hunting if I asked them too.
In B.C. you only have to be 10 to hunt big game, so it’s still 3 seasons away no matter how you slice it. I’m more so thinking of right now, which is why we were headed stateside this fall.
Although he does like tagging along for coyotes and small game, he prefers big game as I’m sure lots of kids would given the opportunity. He’s been on moose hunts, deer and elk hunts, bear, cougar and lynx hunts with the hounds (his favourite), sheep hunts in the kakwa and Wilmore and we just got back from Antelope hunting Friday. He’s watched me, his uncle, my guides and my clients kill them all, and loved every minute of it.
But...... he can’t pull the trigger himself legally, that’s why I’m looking for something different for this hunt.

Thanks again for sharing your opinion and information RC
Old 10-25-2020, 08:29 AM
Banned

West jet just announced they have reduced the quarantine time to 2 days now
Might be worth looking into
Old 10-25-2020, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Each to their own.
I’m not a fan of the owner of silvertine. I guided with him years ago and he wasn’t very ethical then and probably not very ethical now.
I also lent him my backpack once for a stone sheep hunt and he destroyed it. It would have been fine if he offered to replace it or even apologize for it but his attitude was basically sorry about your luck.
The only possible way I could figure that he could destroy that backpack so bad is he loaded the sheep in it and kicked it down the mountain.
Just my personal experience with Steve.

I’m still ****ed about the backpack.
Ohhhh I hear he really likes his dog
Old 10-25-2020, 09:27 AM

That hog hunting sounds like it would be a blast for a little guy.
My oldest is 12 in the spring. I’m so incredibly pumped for May 2021 to watch him drop a big ole blackie. He’s hunted with me since age 2. This year he dropped his first pheasant (in mid flight!) and first duck. That just whet his appetite!
I understand the frustration of how little opportunities exist for kids. However it’s good for them to wait and earn their time behind the trigger. The progression from birds to big game has been super exciting and I’m happy he’s had to earn his way there. Life goes quick, enjoy each phase!
Old 10-25-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:

100% agree - we should be allowed to partner youth on our own tags

But honestly man this sounds like a momma bear problem. What the heck is a 7 year old gonna remember from 3 weeks of school?! Nothing. Take him state side, then out to the trap line, and it’ll be the best time he’s ever had. School and all that other inconsequential nonsense needs to be put in its place at the bottom of the priority list.

Sask is probably better for a farm hunt...but CWD...i wouldn’t do it.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:19 AM

Default Westjet

Check out the Westjet website. They have a new program where if you fly in and out of Calgary to the USA or international airports, they will give the new rapid result covid test. If you test negative, then you only have to quarantine for 2 days. If your positive then you still gotta quarantine for the 2 weeks. Calgary flights only and must be direct flights. Program starts Nov 2. Joint program with the government. Worth checking out

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...20201021_13168
Old 10-25-2020, 11:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

the activity of hunting wild animals or game, especially for food or sport...Game or quarry is any animal hunted for food, and the meat of those animals. The type and range of animals hunted for food varies in different parts of the world....and if its legal and people are having fun out enjoying it then so be it.....you, me or anyone should not put down any form of legal hunting especially with all the anti's out there picking away at us.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Default Exotic ranch

[QUOTE=3blade;4255096]100% agree - we should be allowed to partner youth on our own tags

But honestly man this sounds like a momma bear problem. What the heck is a 7 year old gonna remember from 3 weeks of school?! Nothing. Take him state side, then out to the trap line, and it’ll be the best time he’s ever had. School and all that other inconsequential nonsense needs to be put in its place at the bottom of the priority list.

Exactly, he will learn more about life and what really matters when he’s out hunting and trapping with you than he will ever learn in a classroom at age 7. Simple spelling, counting and reading will all come along just fine, but it’s the times spent with you out in the wild that he will remember most.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:57 AM

Gotta be careful about school getting in the way of your kids education.