Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-01-2020, 04:49 PM

Default First fall trip

Now that I have some time, I can post a few pics from my first fall trip out. It was a good one. I got out last weekend and hammered a bunch of nice rainbows. All of them were taking dragonfly nymphs fished just off the bottom in 6 - 8ft of water.

I love fishing dragon nymphs. I use full sink line, a short flouro leader and the countdown method to get it into the zone. If you aren't snagging weeds every few casts, you're not deep enough. The trout hit like freight trains when they take dragons, so hold onto your rod!

I find fall fish fight harder, another reason I love this time of year. These guys were jumping and tail walking like crazy followed by some long runs, a few of which took me into my backing. I landed over a dozen fish, making it the best day of my season so far.

Average size I estimated around 20 inches give or take a bit, but I'm not 100% on that since I don't take fish to be released out of the water to measure nevermind weigh them. My fly in the second picture is 1" long for reference and that fish was a little smaller than most I caught.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:38 PM

Well done! Mid Sept to late Oct is also my most treasured time to be on the water for trout. Really nice fish, and I agree, a very exciting method to take them. I have caught some pacu and Mekong catfish in the past weeks using a deerhair fly and sinking line and the takes can be similarly electric.

Good luck for the rest of the season, I hope you’re able to get out a few more times to repeat your success.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:55 PM

Nicely done.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:14 AM

Thanks guys! Best of luck in your seasons.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:33 PM

Looks like an awesome day. What do you call that dragon pattern? Can I have a closer look?
Old 10-02-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Looks like an awesome day. What do you call that dragon pattern? Can I have a closer look?
I believe it's called the Bottom Walker. The fish destroyed my last one! LOL. Here's a pic of one. The only difference between mine and this one is mine has mottled green rubber legs, which you can kind of see in the third picture above.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:21 PM

Beautiful bow, I also love to be in the great outdoors this time of year. Keep at it as we seem to be having a long bout of good weather this fall....
Old 10-02-2020, 08:01 PM

Nice fish! I always bump my leader up to 6lb tippet when I tie on a dragon nymph. Like you sat they hit it hard. I think it is because they are so quick and hard to catch for the trout.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-03-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Nice fish! I always bump my leader up to 6lb tippet when I tie on a dragon nymph. Like you sat they hit it hard. I think it is because they are so quick and hard to catch for the trout.
Definitely 6lb tippet. I even go to 8lb on a couple lakes I fish in BC. Dragons move quick and are big mouthfuls for trout. The fish almost always get hooked in the side of the jaw like you can see in my pics. My theory is that it's because they hit the dragon broadside rather than from the rear. Despite the hard takes and big fish, I've never deep hooked a trout on a dragon.