Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-11-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
I believe the requirement is to say "I'm hit!" And then take a knee and think things threw....
Wait for that military training to kick in. HARD!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 PM

I shoot at Mclean creek (on weekdays when it's not overrun) and I usually end up picking up my own brass/hulls plus a LOT of others'. Last time I was there I went home with about 150 empty hulls and I didn't bring a shotgun.

PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOU SHOOT SO IT DOESN'T BECOME A GOVERNMENT BAN

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM

The land is crown, don't care about locks on gate roads there not private regardless who made them, there still crown land, I've been on those roads before and been confronted, I said is the crown land they said yes " have a nice day" does the o&g industry think they own the land? Not in my lifetime, use respect, no problems!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
Wait for that military training to kick in. HARD!
Priceless! Truly epic thread
Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
The land is crown, don't care about locks on gate roads there not private regardless who made them, there still crown land, I've been on those roads before and been confronted, I said is the crown land they said yes " have a nice day" does the o&g industry think they own the land? Not in my lifetime, use respect, no problems!
The O&G industry does control the land that is their access and lease. They pay money to the government and it is theirs to do with. I wish it was ours to do with what we want but the truth is you can be charged for illegally entering it. If you doubt me go down the Simonette road and try and get through the check point. If you do without consent of the oil company, you will be chased down and arrested. They pay big money, in turn they get big rights.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
nothing stopping you from walking in, until you pay to build and maintain the road, there may be an issue with you using it...just saying
Old 07-11-2014, 09:47 PM

What if you walked next to the road and stayed of the lease. Something tells me the one with the smaller bank account would still get s,,. on.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Banned

I like the trees, trails, paths, and all who understand.

It may be owned by the government administrators and us.

But who really controls the revenue?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
True
So what does it matter if it only takes a few to spoil it for the rest.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Banned

That is the hard part; the few don’t understand or are on a different agenda?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
pretty childish comments.....
Some of you input is good but your presentation is difficult to understand?

Not looking for conflict.

But you seem to comment, but do not always give specific direction.

I have no direction, but try to follow procedure.

When I have information I sometimes share.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:25 PM

O&G companies lease the mineral rights of course. They also must pay to lease surface rights for the area they will be directly affecting and must continue to do so until the surface is reclaimed. Hence as a tennent to the government they are liable. To mitigate any liability arising from weekend warrior traffic (or us) they put up gates and trough their roads when they aren't in immediate usage. We aren't as litigious as our American brethren but it only takes one.

They dont lease the ground beyond the roads and they cannot prevent anyone from using it. I have hunted grouse alongside numerous oil roads in the past and will continue to do so in the future. My response to enquiries in the past has been 'I am a citizen of the Dominion of Canada and this is is crown land'. You don't need too say any more than that. Just stay a foot or so to the edge where you can and don't block their access with your vehicle.

They can gate the roads. I don't mind walking.

Colin.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:42 PM

Welcome to the new Alberta.

Everybody has a shotgun but nobody knows where to find a pheasant.

Everybody has a rifle but nobody can tell the difference between a mulie and a whitetail.

Can't buy a case of #8 target loads but nobody has shot a round of trap.

Guns are in style right now.

Check out the flashlight I installed on my Norinco!
Old 07-12-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Welcome to the new Alberta.

Everybody has a shotgun but nobody knows where to find a pheasant.

Everybody has a rifle but nobody can tell the difference between a mulie and a whitetail.

Can't buy a case of #8 target loads but nobody has shot a round of trap.

Guns are in style right now.

Check out the flashlight I installed on my Norinco!
And nobody can tell you how well thier SKS will group. You hit the nail on the head. Shooting TV sets and other garbage and leaving it is what the new gun crowd is all about. I've seen some pretty wierd things while out on crown land and none of the ones causing the mess were out there sighting in thier rifles to hunt with. Not saying that guys that don't hunt and shoot are all shooting at the garbage but I have yet to see the ones that hunt shooting at thier broken down appliances. I always ask if guys hunt when I see them shooting on crown land. And I don't see guys in thier 40's doing this either. I sure someone will disagree with me. But that's what I have seen to date.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:19 PM

Default taking a knee and thinking things threw

This "I take a knee to think things threw" is such an original piece of writing that it comes up first in a Google search.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:40 PM

I was on crown land near tuner Valley this weekend and came upon a cut block that someone turned into a shooting range. Garbage was everywhere. Cardboard and plywood targets littered the place as were household items torn up by lead. They used spray insulation cans as targets and huge globs of foam were strewn over a few acres. Beer cans were everywhere. Looked like a garbage dump. Absolutely no respect. Unfortunately these are becoming more commonplace.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM

How long before you have to belong to a range before you can purchase a gun? or even possess a gun?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
How long before you have to belong to a range before you can purchase a gun? or even possess a gun?
I have legally owned firearms since I was the age of 8, never belonged or been to a range.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
I have legally owned firearms since I was the age of 8, never belonged or been to a range.
And that means things will never change?

If anything, things are changing faster than they ever have.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:17 PM

Somebody use could do something positive! A group of us could get together and go out early morning to clean up and post signs similar to national parks. "PACK OUT WHAT YOU PACK IN" and display the fine for littering as well. Then do some target shooting and clays sourselves then clean our own mess. We could even find a way to have the messes reported and works with O&G so they feel somebody is respecting the land.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckler View Post
Somebody use could do something positive! A group of us could get together and go out early morning to clean up and post signs similar to national parks. "PACK OUT WHAT YOU PACK IN" and display the fine for littering as well. Then do some target shooting and clays sourselves then clean our own mess. We could even find a way to have the messes reported and works with O&G so they feel somebody is respecting the land.
I'm thinking that's a good idea. I'm going to try and get ahold of the lease holder and see if there is some way we could use the site if we work together. Don't know until I ask. That site really wasn't unused crown land it was leased crown land and there is a differance. I don't blame the lease holder for gating it as they are responsible for keeping it clean wether they make the mess or not.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:23 PM

The referenced area above is/was discussed via private PM's.

The thread was in reference to most lease roads in the area being gated this year. This was just the last one I saw going in.

It appears somebody cleaned some of the mess as there was a pile of junk there when I quickly popped in. I don't have a truck and didn't have room in my SUV (was camping) to take it out. It wasn't removed from the lease though. I'm not sure who did the cleaning but would suspect it was the O&G company?

There area few locations out there that I could list that need cleaning. Three major ones. One of which I don't recommend people shoot at because of trails in the bush which is their "backstop". It's also a very populated area.

This weekend we were in some pristine spots in Radium's back country, only to look down in the river and see bright orange clays in the water.... *ugh*.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 PM

I was out west of Millarville yesterday and I hauled back probably 20 shot shell boxes, paper targets that were just blowing around and a shot up propane bottle that all hits the garbage tomorrow and I only made a small dent in it. Like where do you start with all the broken pieces of clay targets, although guess those may eventually break down. But hundreds of lbs. of no good military brass crushed into the dirt, hopefully most of that will rust away, and picked up any reloadable brass I could find, not easy in the grass. But I can see that sooner or later access will closed, if it stays in that kind of messy state. Can't figure out why it is so hard to pack out what you bring in. I can certainly see why people get upset when they see this mess left. Just my dimes worth.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
I was out west of Millarville yesterday and I hauled back probably 20 shot shell boxes, paper targets that were just blowing around and a shot up propane bottle that all hits the garbage tomorrow and I only made a small dent in it. Like where do you start with all the broken pieces of clay targets, although guess those may eventually break down. But hundreds of lbs. of no good military brass crushed into the dirt, hopefully most of that will rust away, and picked up any reloadable brass I could find, not easy in the grass. But I can see that sooner or later access will closed, if it stays in that kind of messy state. Can't figure out why it is so hard to pack out what you bring in. I can certainly see why people get upset when they see this mess left. Just my dimes worth.
As I've said before, I don't think it's any one from this fourm, just a bunch of yahoos who don't give a care to the world, that's what's really sad. Thet just don't care at all, I should add think to that as well!

Kevin
Old 07-16-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
Thanks for taking the time and effort.

If everybody did the same the areas would improve. Doesn't fix the problem, but helps keep areas a viable options rather than driving hours upon hours to far away ranges.

I do think some of the guilty are AO users. Plenty of people say one thing and do another.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
BS. That's not how it works at all.

Last edited by wildside2014; 07-16-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I shoot at Mclean creek (on weekdays when it's not overrun) and I usually end up picking up my own brass/hulls plus a LOT of others'. Last time I was there I went home with about 150 empty hulls and I didn't bring a shotgun.

PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOU SHOOT SO IT DOESN'T BECOME A GOVERNMENT BAN
Wednesday nights are busy out at Maclean due to trail maintence and the RMDRA guided ride program where there are 60+ people in groups riding around in the singletrack. Please double check your shooting "backstops" just incase there is a trail a few hundred yards in the bush.