Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
lol... well I think you mean in your world (or application). Other scopes are every bit as real...
The OP is hunting deer at a maximum of 300 yds. That is the real world.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 PM

Well you caught me, I only spend about 3-4 in reality a day. The rest of the time I am at work or sleeping. What I meant is that I see on a lot of hunting websites guys who are unhappy with there rifles unless they shoot .5MOA groups, which I get. But that is off a bench. Now try hiking for 3 hours, carrying a pack, up hill, over logs. Then see how your groups are. If you have a deer at 50 yards and your scope is high magnification all you will see is brown. I prefer to have a lower magnification and see half see more of the animal at a longer distance, then see only see a few inches of the animal at close range. A lot goes into choosing a scope, more then just magnification. As has been said earlier.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
Well you caught me, I only spend about 3-4 in reality a day. The rest of the time I am at work or sleeping. What I meant is that I see on a lot of hunting websites guys who are unhappy with there rifles unless they shoot .5MOA groups, which I get. But that is off a bench. Now try hiking for 3 hours, carrying a pack, up hill, over logs. Then see how your groups are. If you have a deer at 50 yards and your scope is high magnification all you will see is brown. I prefer to have a lower magnification and see half see more of the animal at a longer distance, then see only see a few inches of the animal at close range. A lot goes into choosing a scope, more then just magnification. As has been said earlier.
One reason I like a variable. Imagine using a variable scope, and a combination gun with a select trigger or maybe a drilling (now that can be confusing if you aren't on your game).... In the end we all use what we like or change the issue (item) we don't like. Scope selection as with a rifle is dependant on your criteria. I have enough years behind me to know what I like and what I don't for my style of hunting. The people who do their research are less likely to make a mistake if they nail down their hunting scenarios very clearly. Then.. we also have to realise nothing is perfect... although I think the German's did a bang up job in the World Cup!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
I don't spend too much time fussing about what I am going to put on a hunting rifle that I am going to use under "normal " conditions as long as it is clear and dependable, in a lower power.
if it's a variable i won't change it, if it's a fixed, it is what it is, and if it's a set of irons, all the better!
I also won't fret about the "what if" factor when it comes to animals out of range for the set up, I'll just hunt that much harder to get within range of the rig's ( and my own) capabilities.
hat being said, a fixed 4 or 6 power, or a variable up to about 3 to 9X with a smaller objective would work just fine.
Cat