Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-01-2014, 08:02 PM

We'll I guess it's time for an update. I had a friend of mine pick up a t3 in .308 for me used.....hardly. The deal was right. The rifle is topped by a vortex scope and it looks like a decent scope to me. I am not completely new to shooting but will need som practice. I also plan on picking up a 22lr to practice with. I thought that kinda went without saying. Everyone I know that has rifles has a 22.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt22 View Post
We'll I guess it's time for an update. I had a friend of mine pick up a t3 in .308 for me used.....hardly. The deal was right. The rifle is topped by a vortex scope and it looks like a decent scope to me. I am not completely new to shooting but will need som practice. I also plan on picking up a 22lr to practice with. I thought that kinda went without saying. Everyone I know that has rifles has a 22.
Was going to come back and recommend a 308. Its the perfect gun for a new shooter. Lots of ammo, recoil is manageable, and can take down any big game in Alberta. Good choice hope you enjoy it.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Default T3

I picked up a T3 in .308 for my son when he turned 12 and thus far he is 15 for 15 on one shot stops the last 4 years. Granted our Texas deer are about half the size of your Canadian deer but the .308 should be great for both. I would say my son shoot's about 40 rounds at t he range a year from 100-400 yards to practive using the Nikon Buckmaster scope with BDC reticle I put on for him. amazing how quickly he picked up on using the bDC reticle as a POA. It was so much easier teaching my 12 year old then his 75 year old Grand Pa who is a iron sight fan but again, 75 year old eyes.
I"m sure my son wouldn't enjoy those 40 rounds as much if the rifle was a 30-06, even though I think it's probably the best one rifle for everything cal. you can buy.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
I picked up a T3 in .308 for my son when he turned 12 and thus far he is 15 for 15 on one shot stops the last 4 years. Granted our Texas deer are about half the size of your Canadian deer but the .308 should be great for both. I would say my son shoot's about 40 rounds at t he range a year from 100-400 yards to practive using the Nikon Buckmaster scope with BDC reticle I put on for him. amazing how quickly he picked up on using the bDC reticle as a POA. It was so much easier teaching my 12 year old then his 75 year old Grand Pa who is a iron sight fan but again, 75 year old eyes.
I"m sure my son wouldn't enjoy those 40 rounds as much if the rifle was a 30-06, even though I think it's probably the best one rifle for everything cal. you can buy.

That 308 is plenty good for your deer, our deer, moose and elk.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:49 PM

GREAT choice, fantastic rifle for the price, and great caliber. If you use 165 gr bullets out of that rifle you good to go for most everything in North America.

Buy a bunch of different brands of ammo in your chosen bullet choice/weight and start shooting the rifle it will tell you soon enough what brand/weight it likes and besides it is great practice.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:59 PM

There's a beautiful CZ for sale on CGN.... I prefer cz to tikka...