Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-08-2022, 07:03 AM

Default FHA update - Jan 7

Fur Harvesters Auction Inc 2022 Market Update
Since our last market update we have had greatly increased interest, with calls coming in from overseas buyers wanting marten (sables). All have been advised that no sables will be offered ahead of our scheduled March 2022 auction. The Russian sable auction last month saw increased levels over last season and it seems that Canadian sables are in even more demand. We are expecting a shorter catch than traditional years and this will help raise price levels further.
Buyers are requesting quality shearing beaver, and of course castoreum continues to sell at historical levels. Demand for muskrats is solid.
Interest in Canadian/Alaskan lynx is growing and in recent weeks we have refused sales stating that these goods will only be available at our March 2022 auction. As well, bobcat/lynx cats are in demand and also will not be offered until March.
This is the news for now on what has transpired since early December and with that we thank you all for your support of FHA and wish you a Happy Healthy 2022.
Respectfully,
Mark Downey
Chief Executive Officer Fur Harvesters Auction Inc.
1867 Bond Street North Bay, Ontario P1B 8K6 Canada Tel.: (705) 495-4688 Fax.: (705) 495-3099 www.furharvesters.com
January 7, 2022
2022 AUctIon ScHedUle
lASt ReceIVInG dAteS
January 16, 2022 April 17, 2022
SAle dAteS
March 24 - 28, 2022 June 23 - 27, 2022
Sales will be held in north Bay, canada.

I ORIGINALLY POSTED THIS ON OLD THREAD- think this positive news should have a “life” of its own. Trappers need a little positive news! Species like Marten and Lynx are the backbone of most Traplines in Canada and Alaska …. So any advance is very important to keep the lines active and relevant. My fingers are crossed on rats too; but have heard there is a overhang of those pesky ranch mink still… Anyways hope you enjoy the optimism as I did. GG
Old 01-16-2022, 03:06 PM
Banned

FHA has updated the above announcement to include the following:

"EDIT

As mentioned in last month’s report (Dec. 3rd) the coyote market has softened in contrast to last season as have the number of cash buyers taking active positions on buying them. We will once again mention that last spring we had 26 International buyers from 3 continents succeed in purchasing 50,000 coyotes from FHA at good price levels and strong clearance. None of these coyotes were sold to the company that chose to no longer use coyote trim. Many of these customers have been inquiring about available quantities for 2022."

https://www.furharvesters.com/pdf/update_jan07ENG.pdf
Old 01-16-2022, 03:24 PM

Default FHA update

A good friend and fellow snare man just called me. A local buyer was in his area, so he took 9 of his finished coyotes to him to look at. They were very nice, prime coyotes. The buyer told him that the best he could do was a $36 average.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
A good friend and fellow snare man just called me. A local buyer was in his area, so he took 9 of his finished coyotes to him to look at. They were very nice, prime coyotes. The buyer told him that the best he could do was a $36 average.
I don’t know why people would sell at that price but I know that this weekend they did. In dire straits maybe?

The last two FHA auction averages were $120 and $118.