Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-04-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My apologies if I misunderstood , I thought you were asking if Wipeout is ammonia based.
Cat
No, it is I who misunderstood that you were responding to my question regarding Wipeout. My oligopolies to you sir.
Having quoted the statement on the K12 container that it is ammonia free, I have to say I question the accuracy of the statement. I used this product today and it has a very nasty odour very similar to that of amonia. Any chemists out there?
Old 04-04-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1989 View Post
After you cleaning your barrel, how many rounds need to be put down the barrel before getting best accuracy?
Every rifle is different.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-04-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
So the short answer is yes. My TSX loads are showing more copper. However, not in any significant degree. In fact, my Hoppes carbon soak cleaned 90% of the copper out. So it wasn’t much.
Thanks Chuck for your feedback, good to know!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If you are flip flopping between monolithic bullets and conventional cup core bullets, you should remove the copper fouling between switches of bullet style.
Especially if you wish to run monolithic bullets after firing conventional cup and core bullets.
The reason being the gilding metal used in cup and core bullets is far harder than what the monolithic bullets are made from. So in essence the monolithic’s riding on the different composition metal actually have more of their softer copper stripped off and hence seem to foul faster.

As a matter of fact any time I change up which bullet I’m going to shoot, I’ll do a deep clean and remove all fouling including the copper fouling.
Mono bullets and cup and core are of course different when it comes to cleaning ,and I am also not flip flopping the bullets of a different brands .
But when foiling the barrel for a mono bullets ,which are usually Barnes TSXs or TTSXs for me mostly , I've foiled it many times with Sierras 4-5 shots and another 2-3 with Barnes and it did work a bit better then just foiling with a mono at the beginning.

S12
Old 04-05-2020, 01:54 AM

I shoot 130 TSX and 150 Honrady Interbonds in my 308. I have interchanged them freely for over 15 years and have never worried about mixing the different kinds of copper, mostly because it never occurred to me to worry about it. The gun will shoot both loads to within a 1/4" of the same POI and will put either load into a 1/2" at 100 yards for three shots so I really can't see that mixing them has any negative effect.