Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-28-2023, 08:05 AM
AO Sponsor

Normally castor is sold PT as it comes in, generally there are standing orders for castor. My understanding is that the #1 grade castor was sold PT a while ago when prices/demand were still good and sold for good money. Currently the castor market has stalled.

Expect castor price to be significantly lower going forward as there will likely be an army of beaver trappers sprouting from the ground. This is what the felt trade needs, but the pressure will come off of castor price.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:22 AM

Default Fha

Damit, FHA just sold my Select Fisher PT for $45. A Select Top Lot Fisher sold for $750 US in 2005 by FHA. A TOP Lot marten sold for $1300 the same sale.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:55 PM

Anyone know the exchange rate the auction is using ?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2023, 09:23 AM

They normally use rate of Canadian $$ when they forward your check for your fur.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:09 AM

Hearing that there may be a record amount of buyers at next FHA sale. Would continue the positive trend from last sale - which we all know is needed (and timely)

Will also help our trap supply businesses survive and ATA voice with government.

Who would have placed a bet on Beaver a year ago helping lead the way out of the funk we are in? Such is the fur market over the years- volatile; unpredictable and interesting!

Did ship a pretty nice Dec collection of Coyotes… perhaps we can retrace a little on this AB important fur bearer
Old 05-15-2023, 01:46 PM

Default Fha

The clearances of most fur were very high in last sale. I suspect a lot of buyers bidding for limited amount of pelts this next sale. We should get a nice boost in most prices, not just beaver.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:57 AM
AO Sponsor

I sure hope wild mink will skyrocket soon!
😉
Old 05-19-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I sure hope wild mink will skyrocket soon!
😉
What’s your riddle about today Marty?
Old 05-20-2023, 12:27 PM

Fess up Marty. I know riddle…
Old 05-20-2023, 07:01 PM

Riddles Marty? You been so quiet since the disappearance of Dave. Maybe you should invite him back, your in-depth discussions were so entertaining.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:22 AM

I personally miss the entertainment, and Dave in general.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:28 AM
AO Sponsor

THAT WASNT A RIDDLE… IT WAS OBVIOUS!… i have some mink that i want to sell. Thats boring isnt it? All this name calling… i just cant take it… what did i ever do to deserve such??? Im one of those nice people! Nice like Gary

Will wild mink ever fly again? Jim Gibb sez no cuz it was the Itslian craftsmen furriers who worked with it, a feat compared to working with ranch from the sounds of it. I say dye the little minkies and sew em up like sables??? But im just an ignorant trapper. My speculation is that once the Copenhagen mink get burned thru, suddenly the world will wake up mink starved, even fur starved??? China does seem to burn thru mink by the tens of millions. But it sounds like the last mink ranchers will be able to ip their production, even tho it sounded like there'd be a ranch mink shortfall coming.

Ranch fox strengthened, theres a north american shortage, even sounds like very few mutation fox in Finland. I know a guy thats getting $120 USD for his mutation fox.

I think the blue fox went up. That can help the coyote price on the CDN westerns. All eyes on the pending coyote catalogue. I sure hope i have all heavy coyotes this sale with minimal semis, not like last year tho i know i have some and some earlies too.

And poor Davey, i heard he had some health issues to deal with. I actually met the man the first year i bought for GFW, first impressions, I actually quite liked him. But the encounter was brief and
we never got into any debates or nothing.

WE MISS YOU DAVEY!!! GET WELL SOON!!!

We gotta get him back here. Hes our FOIP MAN… or should i say FOIP PERSON??? We see next week…. Mane i shoulda voted for Toews?
Old 05-27-2023, 09:49 AM

Default Fha

Nice to see some $100+ Ca prices for higher grade larger marten at auction just over at May sale. Even $50 Ca good prices for smaller semi's.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:39 PM

What's the scoop on muskrats Marty ? I sold a few coyotes but no top end stuff.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2023, 09:09 PM
Banned

just got a cheque from fha for 7.10 dollars.......they sold one of my last two dogs for 9.10 dollars and took their share. that dog cost me 15 bucks for skinning.......no wonder i won't be sending more in until the price changes!