Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-13-2022, 04:29 PM

Default wolf foot holds

currently use Bridger Brawn #9 have some others that thought may be BFV but no id on them so cant use anymore would like to hear any pros or cons on the BFV , Lay 76 and Xtreme wolf compared to the Brawn #9 also if any one has used the Belisle foot snare #8 in winter conditions.
Thanks.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:40 AM

140 views but no one has any use or info on wolf traps.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:35 AM

Well I viewed and didn't comment because I'm fairly inexperienced. But I have 6 Brawn #9 and 6 BFV's. I like the local content and craftsmanship in my BFV's however I had to tweek each one (well I thought I did, but that might be my lack of experience too) I set pan tensions and had to file a few trigger notches and such to make them the way I wanted (which might be wrong, don't know). The Brawns are all exactly the same, as with any mass produced products, I set pan tensions however they where all the same originally and I have yet to file a trigger notch. They are riveted together on the base and stamped out metal parts, where as the BFV's are handmade and look indestructible but not all the exact same.

Thats my 2cents
Old 12-16-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
Well I viewed and didn't comment because I'm fairly inexperienced. But I have 6 Brawn #9 and 6 BFV's. I like the local content and craftsmanship in my BFV's however I had to tweek each one (well I thought I did, but that might be my lack of experience too) I set pan tensions and had to file a few trigger notches and such to make them the way I wanted (which might be wrong, don't know). The Brawns are all exactly the same, as with any mass produced products, I set pan tensions however they where all the same originally and I have yet to file a trigger notch. They are riveted together on the base and stamped out metal parts, where as the BFV's are handmade and look indestructible but not all the exact same.

Thats my 2cents
Thanks sheep
Ya have 6 of the Brawns as well, biggest negative have heard and seen on them is jaw speed/strength, I know the handmade ones have is better.
The northern/alaska guys talked to prefer the alaskan #9 or the Koro
for both reasons mentioned but cant use them here. Ive seen the foot snares in use on cats and bears and like them but havent seen them in use in winter. Like the looks of the Lays but if you can get 6 of another for the price of 3 of the lays have to consider that as well.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:27 AM

Default Wolf,s

To no WOLF,S call ken hildebrand.He has trapped more wolf,s than any trapper in the south country.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:02 AM
AO Sponsor

A newer option, the No-BS Wolf trap

Extremely well made unit, battleship tough, comes plated ready to set out of box

We do carry them, and yes, modified they have passsed the standard.

https://canadiancoyotecompany.com/pr...reme-wolf-trap
Old 12-30-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
A newer option, the No-BS Wolf trap

Extremely well made unit, battleship tough, comes plated ready to set out of box

We do carry them, and yes, modified they have passsed the standard.

https://canadiancoyotecompany.com/pr...reme-wolf-trap
That is one of the ones mentioned do you have any comparisons (pros/cons)
to the others mentioned. I see some like these but say to order with the stronger springs is that a option with you, or are they now all built with the stronger springs.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:52 AM
AO Sponsor

When we order wolf traps from Kendall, we ask that he modify them and supply us with traps as per modified according to the FIC standard. I dont see anywhere on his site that you can order with different springs, all i see is that this trap model comes standard with TS85 trap springs.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
When we order wolf traps from Kendall, we ask that he modify them and supply us with traps as per modified according to the FIC standard. I dont see anywhere on his site that you can order with different springs, all i see is that this trap model comes standard with TS85 trap springs.
ok thanks, a couple guys in alaska mentioned they got them with bigger springs
I will send them a message and see if they had that done from Kendall or if they had it done else where.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
ok thanks, a couple guys in alaska mentioned they got them with bigger springs
I will send them a message and see if they had that done from Kendall or if they had it done else where.
Wire levers maybe?
Old 01-01-2023, 06:12 AM

Default spring,s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cat View Post
Wire levers maybe?
When you changed the springs ,the trap is not ceriftied. clamping force is 50-93 lb.