Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Post HELP Winchester Model 94 HELP

My grandfather showed me his Winchester Model 94 and I looked at the serial number, which was 715XX. I put it into this site http://oldguns.net/sn_php/windateslookup.php and it told me it was manufactured in 1896. His gun doesn't look anywhere near that old, the action works perfectly, the stock is somewhat worn but still nice, rifling is still good. Does anyone know if this site tells you the right date or could it make mistakes. On the barrel it says Winchester Model 94 - Nickle Steel - 30 W.C.F as well as New Haven, Connecticut below that all. There is no real safety except for the half cock and If anyone could help me on if this site works and the price that the rifle would go for (ball park estimate if possible)
Thanks!
Sorry for the bad quality photo

Last edited by 251251; 04-17-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Gone Hunting

First off, your Rifle is referred to as a Model 1894, Model 94 was used on later models.

I believe that 1896 would be the correct date of manufacture for your rifle. The 30 W.C.F stamp also indicates a very early production model.

Another thing to look for, to quote the "2011 standard catalog of firearms"
"Very early model that incorporates a screw entering the receiver over the loading port from outside," are rare

this website;
http://www.american-firearms.com/ame...20Company.html
Also shows that serial number as produced in 1896.

Although the photo isn't great, your rifle appears to be in good condition.

Being that it was produced prior to 1898 my book states that it would command a 10% premium and sets the base value for that model, in good condition, at $2,000.00. That would make your rifle worth 2,200.00 providing it is in good condition.

In excellent condition it would be worth 7,700.00 according to my book.

If you have the correct serial number, (if part of the number was not worn off or something) then you have a rare and quiet valuable rifle.

Best of luck to you.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Thanks a ton. Didn't realize that this rifle was anywhere near worth that much! Might not consider selling it now, keep it as a family heirloom.

Tags
model 94, winchester