Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2020, 12:03 PM

I've always liked La Plonge (compared to Cold Lake anyway). Good numbers....average size is up a bit compared to Cold and I'd have to think theres still some big girls roaming around although the few times I've fished it 15-18lb fish were the top dogs. Plus it's close and good highway right to the lake.

Next summer....I may attempt the drive into Cree Lake. The adventure is just as much fun as the fishing for me so itll be a good time either way.
As far as wollaston or reindeer....I'd just keep driving east to Athapap Clearwater or Kissising.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:10 AM

Just got back from my cabin up a half hour from reindeer. Road is in great shape so far this year. It's usually rough in may when the snow melts but by mid June it's in better shape. It's never in awesome shape but I was clipping along at 90 km/hr no issues. Gas up in la ronge and have plenty because Brabant isn't selling it anymore. Usually head up there four or five times a year hunting bear and moose or ice fishing. Beautiful country but like others said be prepared. I take a little kit with a tarp and lighter etc out on the boat in case I have to stay the night. We never use anything bigger than a 16 foot aluminum with a 15 horse Honda but I don't head out too far on reindeer. If you leave anything not nailed down at south end it will be gone. I pm you. You are more than welcome to stay at my cabin as long as you want and venture out to any of those lakes. Ive got a few boats there too. Just let me know when.

Edit. Cell service is way better up there now as well due to some increased mining activity. Service used to stop at Misinnippi but now it goes in and out for a few hours further.

Last edited by huntingd; 07-02-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
That sounds amazing! What size of boat are you guys using?

We rent boats at Nordic Lodge, 16-18 foot Alumicrafts with 30-40HP motors on them. We stay at the lodge, which is right beside the public boat launch.

Many people bring their boat. I have three comments.

1. Do NOT bring your boat without a good cover to keep the dust/mud off of it and make sure you have rock deflectors on the front of your trailer at least halfway down the boat.

2. ALWAYS remove and store any hanging attachments for the trip, like downriggers. One fellow last year lost a primo electric-powered downrigger somewhere on the road from La Ronge. Never found it.

3. Having spare tires only makes sense. However, in the over 25 years we have been driving to northern Saskatchewan (15 to Nordic), we have never had a flat. The key is SLOW DOWN! Although stated speed limits may be 80-100kph, be prepared to drive at 30 kph in many places. The road to Nordic was generally always very good when the uranium mines further north were operating. Their heavy truck traffic required better roads. They are now shut down, and I do not miss the heavy trucks, but the road is less maintained, especially north of the turnoff to Southend/Nordic Lodge.

By the way, there are more good lodges up that road as well, all the way to Wollaston.

Reindeer Lake also has 3-4 more lodges much further up the lake (closer to the really big lakers, 50lb +), and you can make arrangements to have them pick you up at the public boat launch to save the money of flying in.

But these lodges all all $$$$, full-service, meals normally included, guides mandatory, and usually catch-and-release except for shore lunch. We've stayed at one in the past, and it was great, but we much prefer the do-it-yourself route.

Vic