Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 PM

Default Colorado/Canyon Diesel engine

Thinking of getting one on the new year. Anybody have any experience on this. I will be using it for daily use not much for towing. Never had a diesel before . Pros and con on maintenance, fuel consumption etc. or should I just stick on to his
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeep.jpg (39.8 KB, 190 views)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:09 PM

Do your research.
Def system failiure at 20k. Typical emissions garbage that has plauged the big dmaxs.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:27 PM

I've got a 2017. Couple of sensor issues that were easily replaced. Not sure about the "system failure" you refer to. Did a quick Google search..still not sure what you are referring to? Just for giggles do an EcoBoost issues search......

I'm a little more concerned that I'm paying up to 20 cents more a little lol. Good thing it has decent fuel economy. I've got 30K on mine.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 PM

I have a 2018 ZR2 with the baby max. DEF sensor problem 1 hour after I bought it. No problems since. Fuel mileage is great. 32.6 mpg and getting better. Just over 8000km now and about 22% left till oil change. Fuel filter is down to 82% left now. Ride is fantastic. I have 2 friends with 2017 Colorados that have the same motor. The one guys WT gets 36mpg and his brothers Z71 gets a touch better at 37.6. They are both finniky about record keeping. I get around(+/-) 900km per tank-actual mileage not computer stuff and the Z71 does an honest 1000 km. Of the three trucks I am the only one who has had a minor problem so far. They drive their trucks way more than I drive mine(jeep guy).
Old 12-15-2018, 01:22 AM

There is a you tube video where they do the math on Ford 1/2 ton gas vs diesel . Calculating fuel saving , expectation for maintenance , and purchase price . Conclusion no noticable saving either way! One vid opinion. Diesel sure nice to drive!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
I have a 2018 ZR2 with the baby max. DEF sensor problem 1 hour after I bought it. No problems since. Fuel mileage is great. 32.6 mpg and getting better. Just over 8000km now and about 22% left till oil change. Fuel filter is down to 82% left now. Ride is fantastic. I have 2 friends with 2017 Colorados that have the same motor. The one guys WT gets 36mpg and his brothers Z71 gets a touch better at 37.6. They are both finniky about record keeping. I get around(+/-) 900km per tank-actual mileage not computer stuff and the Z71 does an honest 1000 km. Of the three trucks I am the only one who has had a minor problem so far. They drive their trucks way more than I drive mine(jeep guy).

So you had sensor problems one hour after purchase but still relying on oil and fuel filter percentage? Most diesel mechanics say no more than 8000km to a change, and every second do your fuel filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
So you had sensor problems one hour after purchase but still relying on oil and fuel filter percentage? Most diesel mechanics say no more than 8000km to a change, and every second do your fuel filter.

Most diesel mechanics just want the extra service income. I have put hundreds of thousands of Ks on diesels and changed the synthetic oil every 20-24,000 ks. Even the oil change interval on Big Cat truck motors is 200 hours, equates to 20,000 ks on a highway tractor, with standard petroleum oils.

Service intervals on motor home Cat motors, 15,000 to 20,000 MILES, depending on exactly which motor.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...013SPMAINT.pdf

Interesting to hear how well the small GM diesels are working out. Too bad no one is making diesel half tons with a full 8' box on them.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I've got a 2017. Couple of sensor issues that were easily replaced. Not sure about the "system failure" you refer to. Did a quick Google search..still not sure what you are referring to? Just for giggles do an EcoBoost issues search......

I'm a little more concerned that I'm paying up to 20 cents more a little lol. Good thing it has decent fuel economy. I've got 30K on mine.

I did the search on the eco boost....after i bought mine! No problems yet but I went in and bought some extra warranty because if its going to happen to anyone it will happen to me.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Most diesel mechanics just want the extra service income. I have put hundreds of thousands of Ks on diesels and changed the synthetic oil every 20-24,000 ks. Even the oil change interval on Big Cat truck motors is 200 hours, equates to 20,000 ks on a highway tractor, with standard petroleum oils.

Service intervals on motor home Cat motors, 15,000 to 20,000 MILES, depending on exactly which motor.

Interesting to hear how well the small GM diesels are working out. Too bad no one is making diesel half tons with a full 8' box on them.

Trust me, diesel mechanics aren't looking for any extra service income lol.
Plenty busy enough without having to make stuff up.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
There is a you tube video where they do the math on Ford 1/2 ton gas vs diesel . Calculating fuel saving , expectation for maintenance , and purchase price . Conclusion no noticable saving either way! One vid opinion. Diesel sure nice to drive!
"Diesel sure nice to drive"

Why is that?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:27 AM

They drive better because of torque. You don't need to rev the snot out of them to get them to move and pull stuff
Old 12-16-2018, 07:56 AM

We just bought a 2018. Hummed and hawed back and forth whether to get the diesel. Test drive both. I was leaning towards the diesel thinking mileage. We aren't going to haul anything more than maybe a quad so pulling wasn't an issue. It's my wife's primary vehicle and in a small town she doesn't drive too far so for difference in price we went for the gas. My friend is the sales manager at the local place and he said with the little we drive we won't see enough savings to warrant the extra cost. The gas one is a little peppier driving and we are getting 7.8L/100kM on the highway. We love it.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:01 AM

Good thread, I'm thinking of getting a Colorado this year and tossing around the idea of a gas job or diesel, Z71 or ZR2 and such. Was leaning towards the diesel but surprised to hear how good of mileage the gas job got.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod in the sticks View Post
Good thread, I'm thinking of getting a Colorado this year and tossing around the idea of a gas job or diesel, Z71 or ZR2 and such. Was leaning towards the diesel but surprised to hear how good of mileage the gas job got.
I have a 2018 zr2 and after doing some research the diesel had way less issues. With it only being 5k to upgrade to diesel it was worth it in my opinion

The fact I have had my truck for less then a year it is really too early to judge how the truck is mechanically but I have been happy so far
Old 12-16-2018, 09:21 AM

Default Colerado

Was thinking of getting one as well, lots of short trips, so was leaning towards gas.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:22 AM

7.8 mileage is about what you would expect from the diesel not the gas. Pretty impressive for sure, my neighbor has the Canyon gas and he does not get anywhere near that mileage. His is more in the 10 per 100 which I thought was good.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:32 AM

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. Its more on the bucket list for me for the diesel engine. Base on the reply and research. I was thinking of buying used hoping that most issued are resolved.(2 years old)

I am used to old diesel engine (80's) but not with the new ones.

I do most of my car maintenance so this would be interesting.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

You math is extremely flawed. I’d like to see the highway truck that can make a living driving 20000km in 200hrs. That is a consistent 100km/hr with no loading/unloading or stopping for stop signs, driving thru town, warming up or cooling down, or to fuel up. I’m willing to bet you have at minimum 500-600hrs on your oil changes that are done at 20 000-24 000 km.

I also use synthetic oil in my Diesel engines and change it out at 250 engine hours. Fuel filters get done once a year. My diesel pickups get oil changed at 8-10000km and engine hours will be 200-250 in that time. I will not disagree with you that you may have been able to get the km out of a synthetic oil change that you did without trouble and the only way to truly tell would be by having your oil tested.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post

Agreed with fuel filter every second oil change (fuel systems are just so expensive to repair and simple filter replacement is the easiest way to avoid them) but if you're running lots of highway miles can easily get away with more than 8,000 km on synthetic with a good filter.

On another forum, a member is a hotshot driver that runs a 2010 Duramax. It has over 700,000 miles, half of that pulling, with no major engine work ever needed. He posted his maintenance log. Most oil changes done at 10-12,000 mile intervals.