Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-12-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
flashlight on a shotgun is a decent idea... bipod, not so much
Don't forget a bayonet lug for those close in Grizzly encounters.

Grizz
Old 12-12-2018, 06:06 PM

Tell this girl that she buys for cool. Or make fun of the flashlight I dare you. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 12-12-2018, 06:15 PM

All my rifles are tools. They are cool to me because they do exactly what they were designed to do. I don't care of others think they are ugly or impractical. They perform that's all I ask out of my equipment
Old 12-12-2018, 06:31 PM

Cool Tacticool cupholders!

Pfft, flashlights, lasers, red dots, monopods, bipods, bayonets, etc. are all just gimmicks. Cupholders are where its at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cup holders.jpg (41.3 KB, 49 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-12-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Tell this girl that she buys for cool. Or make fun of the flashlight I dare you. :-)

Night time close varmint fun right there...………………...if we could only shoot at night
Old 12-12-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Night time close varmint fun right there...………………...if we could only shoot at night
But since we can't, a light mount is pretty much useless in Alberta.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Who would shoot a coyote or a fox in the chicken coop after dark? Maybe the same people who drive 10 km/h over the speed limit? Sketchy characters oh my
Old 12-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovchyk View Post
Much depends on the intention. If one's goal is to shoot something running, one needs a practical thing. If obe shoots to feel cool and big, the cooler the firearm, the better.
That makes a lot of sense.

I know I've always thought hitting the target has a much greater cool factor then the look of any rifle.

I also don't associate the tactical look with cool because it was not around when I was learning about guns. It's a relatively new development.

I grew up when Lee Enfield's Carcano's, Garand's and Mauser's were the rifles most often associated with the military. There were probably more recent rifles in the hands of the military but we didn't get to see them until much later, when they started showing up in the hands of civilians.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Who would shoot a coyote or a fox in the chicken coop after dark? Maybe the same people who drive 10 km/h over the speed limit? Sketchy characters oh my
If I was going to shoot a coyote or fox at close quarters in a chicken coop, I would not be using a centerfire rifle.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Just because we re not allowed does not mean that farmers do not at times, to protect their livestock.

Cat
Old 12-12-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
If I was going to shoot a coyote or fox at close quarters in a chicken coop, I would not be using a centerfire rifle.
A rimfire with a flashlight?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
A rimfire with a flashlight?
In close quarters, I prefer a shotgun.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
That light mount is for 600lb rodents that might wander into camp. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 PM

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/t...416-remington/

-Billy Molls
Old 12-12-2018, 10:28 PM

I shake my head at some of the crap coming out of Turkish factories these days, their probably laughing as they box them up and send them over here for suckers to buy. Wouldn't touch a Derya or Pallus with a 10 foot pole myself.

I have a couple of "cool/fun" scatterguns, but their modified 590A1's and are real beasts that work every single time.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:05 PM

I would LOVE to own an outrageously expense H@H or some other work of art...

Cool? very much so

Practical? not so much
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I would LOVE to own an outrageously expense H@H or some other work of art...

Cool? very much so

Practical? not so much
I like to look at those kind of guns, wouldn't own one but do admire the workmanship and artistry.

I even like to look at and admire a few of the custom made tactical look guns.
The ones that go above and beyond the average in workmanship or capability.
Such as one I saw at a show last summer.
A 50 cal, custom target rifle. Totally impractical for hunting. The owner/builder said it weighed 36 pounds but it was obviously built for function more then form.
That has always impressed me.

The rest do nothing for me. The tactical look and all that. Not my cup of tea.
I actually own such a rifle. One of the less tactical I suppose but a popular gun at the gun shows.
It was given to me. It's former owner bought it for the cool factor then discovered he didn't feel cool shooting it so rather then go through all the hassle of renewing his FAC, that was what was needed back then, he gave it to me.

I sighted it in and shot one bear with it, then hung in the gun room where it has lived ever since.
I keep thinking of taking it to one of the shows I do and turning it over to one of my friends there. Just haven't done it yet.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-13-2018, 04:56 AM

Some of the new stuff out there is ridiculous, but hey if it floats your boat why not. Take sks mods as an example there is all kinds of after market stocks, scope mounts, rails, detachable magazines, bells and whistles you name it there is a ton of aftermarket stuff you can put on those carbines. As the old saying goes you can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig... The sks is a perfect little Carbine as is, it will never be a tack driver no matter how many hundreds of dollars you put into it.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:03 AM

Default "cool" to the eye

My definition of "cool" has changed over the years. I used to love the mass-produced, "fluer de lise" stamped american guns. I think many on here have started hunting with the model 70 and remington wingmasters that their fathers owned. So of course, when I could afford one, that is what I started with!
Bump ahead thirty or fourty years, and my idea of cool has really changed. For some, cool is "plastic" or camo. I seem to have gone backwards. I love antique "best" type guns, made before the big war took away many of the finest gun manufacturers history will ever know. Many of them are total works of art. I have Westley Richards,Beattie, Greener, Jeffery, Chas Lancaster, and others. What it would cost for a stock blank commonly used on these guns, is now about the price of a mass-produced field-ready gun today. Then there is all the amazing scroll work, all hand done. I LOVE taking these old guns and using them in the field. I have used a variety of hammer guns for shotgunning birds throughout the year, and the last few years I have even been packing a hammered sxs rifle for deer and elk. My last three whitetail bucks were shot with these. I dont shoot for the trophy, so much as to get out and succesfully shoot my meat animal with one of these fantastic old guns.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
My definition of "cool" has changed over the years. I used to love the mass-produced, "fluer de lise" stamped american guns. I think many on here have started hunting with the model 70 and remington wingmasters that their fathers owned. So of course, when I could afford one, that is what I started with!
Bump ahead thirty or fourty years, and my idea of cool has really changed. For some, cool is "plastic" or camo. I seem to have gone backwards. I love antique "best" type guns, made before the big war took away many of the finest gun manufacturers history will ever know. Many of them are total works of art. I have Westley Richards,Beattie, Greener, Jeffery, Chas Lancaster, and others. What it would cost for a stock blank commonly used on these guns, is now about the price of a mass-produced field-ready gun today. Then there is all the amazing scroll work, all hand done. I LOVE taking these old guns and using them in the field. I have used a variety of hammer guns for shotgunning birds throughout the year, and the last few years I have even been packing a hammered sxs rifle for deer and elk. My last three whitetail bucks were shot with these. I dont shoot for the trophy, so much as to get out and succesfully shoot my meat animal with one of these fantastic old guns.
If it functions perfectly, and swings and balances nice, a work of art can also be very practical. I use a pair of higher quality SxS shotguns for all of my upland bird hunting, and I find them very practical. Some people are afraid of damaging the fancy wood, but I don't worry about it. On the other hand , I use a lower priced semi auto for waterfowl hunting, because I find it much more practical for that application.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
If it functions perfectly, and swings and balances nice, a work of art can also be very practical. I use a pair of higher quality SxS shotguns for all of my upland bird hunting, and I find them very practical. Some people are afraid of damaging the fancy wood, but I don't worry about it. On the other hand , I use a lower priced semi auto for waterfowl hunting, because I find it much more practical for that application.
I Remember one gorgeous Lancaster that Oldgutpile had picked up , some of the most striking fiddleback I have ever seen on a vintage shotgun- and I have seen a few !
Problem was , no one could shoot the danged thing!
The comb was a Mike high!
The people I associate with hunt with their vintage guns, and if a gun doesn’t Shoot where you point it , well, OG sold that gun, exquisite workmanship and all ! Cool but not practical!
Cat
Old 12-13-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I Remember one gorgeous Lancaster that Oldgutpile had picked up , some of the most striking fiddleback I have ever seen on a vintage shotgun- and I have seen a few !
Problem was , no one could shoot the danged thing!
The comb was a Mike high!
The people I associate with hunt with their vintage guns, and if a gun doesn’t Shoot where you point it , well, OG sold that gun, exquisite workmanship and all ! Cool but not practical!
Cat
I know the feeling, I have seen some nice gins that I would like to own, but they were nowhere close to fitting me. I had no issue taking a rasp and sandpaper to the comb of my Blaser clays gun, but it just wouldn't seem right to do that with a classic English stocked SxS. And with such a slim stock to begin with, taking off that much material might make it look a bit odd. And as much as I liked my A400, I just couldn't shoot it as well as I shoot my SX-3, so the A400 was sold, and I kept the SX-3.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

Pics of girl....will,decide if I get lippynor not.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-13-2018, 07:54 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
In close quarters, I prefer a shotgun.
Muzzle blasts light up the night real quick too, no need for a flashlight.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-13-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Pics of girl....will,decide if I get lippynor not.....
http://echolsrifles.blogspot.com/201...r-you.html?m=1

-Billy Molls
Old 12-13-2018, 09:49 PM

Tia Shoemaker is as real a deal as her dad. I love the looks of his old 458 bear gun. As for practical they probably wrote the book on practical guns for guiding...and shooting.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Some of the firearnscand ammunition that companies market and people buy make one’s head spin .
What civilian actually needs a combination doors breacher / muzzle brake on a shotgun?!
Cat
I guess you've never locked the keys in the house and needed to get in? I always wondered what that was on the barrel of my goose gun.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:56 PM

I guess I can't call the anti magnum crowd "girly men" any more,, Tia would probably kick my arse for making such a sexist remark,,,
Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I guess you've never locked the keys in the house and needed to get in? I always wondered what that was on the barrel of my goose gun.
HAHA!!
Cat
Old 12-13-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovchyk View Post
Much depends on the intention. If onw's goal is to shoot something running, one needs a practical thing. If obe shoots to feel cool and big, the cooler the firearm, the better.
It's hard to look cool when you can't hit anything.