Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Why didnt they play the kid wonder?
Hoping for a win with talbot before they start shopping him?
Old 12-13-2018, 08:56 PM

Talbot is trash lol
Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 PM

Still a point against a good team, nothing wrong with that.
So due to this site, I am actually watching Oiler games , ugh
Anyways that announcer dude, Principe I don't know why but he bugs me.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Gene thinks he's a very "punny" guy...
Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
You watched 5 minutes. Lol
That's all I needed to see, what were the shots in the 3rd? And I do believe they will be shopping Talbot soon if they are not doing it already. This game helped that cause even though it resulted in an OT loss.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Is a Flames fan actually complaining about another teams announcer. I'm sure Cassie is a nice lady, but really, how often does the color guy have to cut you off mid sentence before you take a hint?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmerAB View Post
Gene thinks he's a very "punny" guy...
A few years ago, maybe the last time I was at a bar on Jasper Ave past 8 pm, I end up having a few drinks with Gene at "On The Rocks." Heck of nice guy.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Is a Flames fan actually complaining about another teams announcer. I'm sure Cassie is a nice lady, but really, how often does the color guy have to cut you off mid sentence before you take a hint?
Ha no I should have put that in my statement. He bugs me as much as Cassie bugs me. I definitely do not think we are any better off believe me.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
A few years ago, maybe the last time I was at a bar on Jasper Ave past 8 pm, I end up having a few drinks with Gene at "On The Rocks." Heck of nice guy.
I would absolutely believe that.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Stars playing Sharks in a bit here...go STARS!!
Crazy how tight the west is right now. 6 points separate 1st to 8th. If the Stars beat the Sharks, they move from 10th in the west to 3rd in the Pacific and the Sharks move to 9th in west. Oilers and Knight stay where they are. What a horse race!
Old 12-13-2018, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hoping for a win with talbot before they start shopping him?
Hmmm...
Would they potentially sacrifice a game by pulling a hot goalie? Not sure about that one... I would think they want wins now.

Last edited by drhu22; 12-13-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Crazy how tight the west is right now. 6 points separate 1st to 8th. If the Stars beat the Sharks, they move from 10th in the west to 3rd in the Pacific and the Sharks move to 9th in west. Oilers and Knight stay where they are. What a horse race!
Yup, but with 50 games +- to play for most teams, it's a bit early to project or worry. There are so many things that can change a season, one bad injury, one hot goalie and win streak....i don't start sweating until a couple weeks after the all star fiasco..

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-13-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Hmmm...
Would they potentially sacrifice a game by pulling a hot goalie? Not sure about that one... I would think they want wins now.
With the right trade, they could potentially get even more wins. Getting rid of something not needed and acquiring something you do need will go along ways. Maybe I’m wrong. (I’m not).

Last edited by Talking moose; 12-13-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:04 PM

So, if you trade Talbot and Koskinen gets hurt, what are you going to do?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:

With the right trade, they could potentially get even more wins. Getting rid of something not needed and acquiring something you do need will go along ways. Maybe I’m wrong. (I’m not).
What do the Oilers have sitting in minors as a potential back-up right now?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 PM

I think Talbots gone. Don’t know what they have planned. But I think he’s on the block.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
What do the Oilers have sitting in minors as a potential back-up right now?
Nobody with a SA% above .900, including Montoya. Not sure how that's better than Talbot.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Nobody with a SA% above .900, including Montoya. Not sure how that's better than Talbot.
I'm inclined to agree with you.

"Better the devil you know, than the one you don't"
Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 PM

I'd take Montoya or Talbot for Smith, straight across...or a 4'x4' piece of plywood, 20' of rope and a couple pulleys. That would maybe be best.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-13-2018, 10:39 PM

With the addition Koskinen what they need is a guy that can play 12-15 games for the remainder of the year and win 60% of them.

They do not need Talbot at 4 million and becoming a RFA. We needed to trade for a d-man before Klefbom was hurt, now it is a must. 20 bad days of hockey right now and you are out of playoff contention.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:17 AM

Klef and Russ are not a nightly top pairing on any team in the NHL. Except for the Oil.

The Jets easily exposed the absolute bush league of a D-Corps we have.

Salvaging a point tonight was pure larceny.

Talbot is gone within a week. A solid defenseman is required. Now. The price may be high.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:16 AM

That was basically a penciled in scheduled loss with no Klefbom Sekera or Russell, so getting a point there is awesome. Course it stinks that it could have been two and yeah the GWG shot Talbot let in was a softie, but the Oilers also let him get shelled for 17 shots in the 3rd (and 41 SHOT ATTEMPTS) so I'm sure he was pretty exhausted at that point.

Quote:
Gene at the Cougar bar. No surprises there lol.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Klef and Russ are not a nightly top pairing on any team in the NHL. Except for the Oil.

Talbot is gone within a week. A solid defenseman is required. Now. The price may be high.
Well said!! Klefbom is a 3rd line defenseman maybe 2nd line on any other NHL team.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post

Russell is a 3/4 guy, maybe even 4/5 depending on the team, but I don't understand the lack of love for Klefbom. He's a solid D man with offensive skill that eats up tons of minutes, and he absolutely would play on the top pair on a lot of NHL teams.

I don't care what team it is, if you take away 3 of their top 4 or 5 D men (Klefbom, Sekera, Russell), they're going to get exposed on defense at times. That "bush league" D core came away with a point against the 4th place team in the NHL last night, a team with major offensive firepower and the top ranked power play. Why the need to panic?

Remember when Talbot was the second coming of Fuhr? Yeah, me too, and now we're ready to dump him for a bucket of pucks? Remember in the pre-season when everyone thought Chiarelli was nuts for signing Koskinen and wanted him gone for a bucket of pucks? Yeah, me too. Koskinen has been great in his VERY small sample size, no doubt, and I'm willing to give him the net as the #1 for sure, but you're going to need two solid goalies if you're going to make it, especially in the Oiler's case, where neither one has a track record of being a consistent #1.

I don't like a Talbot trade unless the return is a true top pairing D man or possibly a top 6 RW. That is NOT going to happen, ZERO chance, at least not without some serious draft picks or a solid prospect as a sweetener. His play over the last 18 months (the reason Koskinen has emerged and everyone seems so eager to dump him) and his status as an RFA make his trade value pretty low. We don't need another Gravel or Benning, or even another Russell, and that's what he's going to draw right now in a straight across.

It's too bad the timing isn't working out better, because they have some guys in the minors (Skinner) that have potential, but they're going to need a year or two before they're ready. Trading Talbot right now is kinda playing with fire in my opinion, the reward needs to be pretty big to just the risk.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Another question, how are you going to get someone that helps your team for Talbot? I brought this up in the other thread before the season started, and the vast majority disagreed with my analysis, but Talbot's numbers have basically been declining since his rookie year. That is six years of decline, he has the 3rd worst SA% in the league for goalies who have started more than 15 games, and is getting outplayed by a guy who had 4 games experience in the NHL. So nobody wants him as the rebuilding teams aren't taking on contracts and the contenders want someone better and if someone does happen to take him, what are you looking at on the receiving end, a 5th, maybe 6th, round pick?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Russell is a 3/4 guy, maybe even 4/5 depending on the team, but I don't understand the lack of love for Klefbom. He's a solid D man with offensive skill that eats up tons of minutes, and he absolutely would play on the top pair on a lot of NHL teams.

I don't care what team it is, if you take away 3 of their top 4 or 5 D men (Klefbom, Sekera, Russell), they're going to get exposed on defense at times. That "bush league" D core came away with a point against the 4th place team in the NHL last night, a team with major offensive firepower and the top ranked power play. Why the need to panic?

Remember when Talbot was the second coming of Fuhr? Yeah, me too, and now we're ready to dump him for a bucket of pucks? Remember in the pre-season when everyone thought Chiarelli was nuts for signing Koskinen and wanted him gone for a bucket of pucks? Yeah, me too. Koskinen has been great in his VERY small sample size, no doubt, and I'm willing to give him the net as the #1 for sure, but you're going to need two solid goalies if you're going to make it, especially in the Oiler's case, where neither one has a track record of being a consistent #1.

I don't like a Talbot trade unless the return is a true top pairing D man or possibly a top 6 RW. That is NOT going to happen, ZERO chance, at least not without some serious draft picks or a solid prospect as a sweetener. His play over the last 18 months (the reason Koskinen has emerged and everyone seems so eager to dump him) and his status as an RFA make his trade value pretty low. We don't need another Gravel or Benning, or even another Russell, and that's what he's going to draw right now in a straight across.

It's too bad the timing isn't working out better, because they have some guys in the minors (Skinner) that have potential, but they're going to need a year or two before they're ready. Trading Talbot right now is kinda playing with fire in my opinion, the reward needs to be pretty big to just the risk.
^^^^^This!

Well said.

BW
Old 12-14-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:

I mentioned earlier my thoughts would be the Coyotes and possibly Demers, or a d-man from Carolina. I really thought they should of went after Demers instead of Lucic to begin with. I don't have a lot of knowledge Carolina or their players but the chatter was they would have been in play for Nylander if the Leafs wanted to trade for a d-man.

I am not saying Talbot gets the value of Nylander, but Talbot and a conditional 2nd/3rd round pick for next year might do it.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Talbot has lost his confidence and lets in the softest goals when the save matters big time. Oilers wont get anyone for him at this point. Something is amiss with him the last two seasons big time.

Would be awesome to get St Albert kid Colton Parayko from St Louis who played up in McMurray for the Barons and is a solid D man but Edmonton cant give up anyone at this point that would make the trade attractive. Sounds liek ST louis might be in the mix to change things up.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I mentioned earlier my thoughts would be the Coyotes and possibly Demers, or a d-man from Carolina. I really thought they should of went after Demers instead of Lucic to begin with. I don't have a lot of knowledge Carolina or their players but the chatter was they would have been in play for Nylander if the Leafs wanted to trade for a d-man.

I am not saying Talbot gets the value of Nylander, but Talbot and a conditional 2nd/3rd round pick for next year might do it.
Demers is out for the season with a knee injury. If you could pry Goligoski out of them, that would be a decent upgrade.

Faulk or Pesce from CAR would be options, I'm not sure they're huge upgrades from the current roster, but they'd certainly help. CAR needs a goalie upgrade for sure, but the problem is, they already have three "Talbots" on their roster, I don't think he really helps them. It'll be interesting to see what they do, McElhinney has looked pretty good lately, and they do have the luxury of depth on D.

Florida needs goalie help. Ekblad isn't going anywhere, but I'd take Yandle if he was available for a decent price. Beyond that, not much to upgrade with.

Chicago needs goalie help, but Keith and Seabrook are old, worn, tired, and have huge cap hits. Not sure they have anyone else worth a look?

Talbot for Giordano straight up!

If we could get Parayko out of STL for Talbot and a pick or two, I'd do that deal for sure. That'll be tough with Pieterangelo on the shelf. No interest in Bouwmeester.

All of that is dreaming in technicolor unless the draft picks or prospects going away from the Oilers are a big part of the deal.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Demers is out for the season with a knee injury. If you could pry Goligoski out of them, that would be a decent upgrade.

Faulk or Pesce from CAR would be options, I'm not sure they're huge upgrades from the current roster, but they'd certainly help. CAR needs a goalie upgrade for sure, but the problem is, they already have three "Talbots" on their roster, I don't think he really helps them. It'll be interesting to see what they do, McElhinney has looked pretty good lately, and they do have the luxury of depth on D.

Florida needs goalie help. Ekblad isn't going anywhere, but I'd take Yandle if he was available for a decent price. Beyond that, not much to upgrade with.

Chicago needs goalie help, but Keith and Seabrook are old, worn, tired, and have huge cap hits. Not sure they have anyone else worth a look?

Talbot for Giordano straight up!

If we could get Parayko out of STL for Talbot and a pick or two, I'd do that deal for sure. That'll be tough with Pieterangelo on the shelf. No interest in Bouwmeester.

All of that is dreaming in technicolor unless the draft picks or prospects going away from the Oilers are a big part of the deal.
I wasn't aware that Demers was injured but I did look at his stats and that was the first that stood out, he is maxing out at 65 games a season and I imagine that is due to injury.

Draft picks....... If they Oilers used their picks to get a player now which improves their record, then that draft pick has less value. I think the Oilers are use to having and scared to trade away a 10 ten pick. Have a little confidence in the team and use that pick now to better the team.

We were all laughing and making fun of the Flames for having no picks last year...... who's laughing now?