Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Coyote skinner

Hey guys
Anyone know of someone who does custom skinning
Edmonton area
Old 11-15-2018, 11:20 AM
AO Sponsor

Extreme shortage of people willing to skin for a reasonable amount of money, however an over-abundance of folks wanting to gouge/pillage/etc

5 minutes to skin
5 minutes to flesh
5 minutes to board

15 minute job for a typical decent man.

What is it worth???

Snared/Trapped Coyotes

$10.00 a coyote = $40.00 per hour
$12.00 a coyote = $48.00 per hour
$15.00 a coyote = $60.00 per hour
$18.00 a coyote = $72.00 per hour
$20.00 a coyote = $80.00 per hour
$25.00 a coyote = $100.00 per hour

However, a very good skinner will skin in 3 minutes per coyote, flesh in 3 minutes, and board in not more than 3 minutes. = 9 minutes per coyote.

$10.00 = $65.00 per hour
$15.00 = $97.50 per hour
$20.00 = $130.00 per hour
$25.00 = $162.50 per hour
Old 11-15-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Extreme shortage of people willing to skin for a reasonable amount of money, however an over-abundance of folks wanting to gouge/pillage/etc

5 minutes to skin
5 minutes to flesh
5 minutes to board

15 minute job for a typical decent man.

What is it worth???

Snared/Trapped Coyotes

$10.00 a coyote = $40.00 per hour
$12.00 a coyote = $48.00 per hour
$15.00 a coyote = $60.00 per hour
$18.00 a coyote = $72.00 per hour
$20.00 a coyote = $80.00 per hour
$25.00 a coyote = $100.00 per hour

However, a very good skinner will skin in 3 minutes per coyote, flesh in 3 minutes, and board in not more than 3 minutes. = 9 minutes per coyote.

$10.00 = $65.00 per hour
$15.00 = $97.50 per hour
$20.00 = $130.00 per hour
$25.00 = $162.50 per hour
I’m sure not many people can put up a coyote in 10 mins all day and do a good job. I think its reasonable to skin 2 - 3 coyotes an hour.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:36 PM

Typical rates are usually $20- $30/ coyote if not shoot with big exit holes requiring sewing.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:41 AM
AO Sponsor

I used a number of different people last year, and did plenty myself. Anybody that is serious in the custom business will be able to peel the fast, easy coyotes in 2-3 minutes, and the hard, slow ones in 5-7 minutes.

One guy I used charged $12, another charged $13, another wanted $15.

The year before I paid a guy $20 per hour, and he did coyotes under $8. It just depended upon how much his wife was texting him that day.

Ladies skin coon in the USA for $1.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:57 AM
AO Sponsor

But I must add that I have no sympathy for people that blow the living feces out of their coyotes with violent ammo and/or stupid calibres. That kind of stuff first is disgusting, second is revolting, and third, is again disgusting in a different way. Twenty five bucks!!! The industry doesnt even want those skins. Would be nice if they would just collect them and leave them all in the ditch like the guy at Medicine Hat a few years back.

So I must make the distinctions:

- Snared/Trapped - $12

-Clean Shot - $15

-Moderate Damage - $20

Stupid Damage - $25, but instead encourage him to throw all his coyotes in the ditch along a primary highway just outside of city limits to demonstrate his high level of intelligence!!!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Old 11-17-2018, 08:08 AM
AO Sponsor

You shoulda come to the convention Davey. We could have learned ya how to skin in not 3 minutes but actually 2 minutes. I have a couple nice little videos on my phone but don’t know how to post it. I think the fastest coyotes were skinned in 1:51, 2:00 and 2:26. Two years ago it was 2:24, 2:35 and 2:45 or so. Even poor little Duncan Abercrombie was right on 3:00 +/-

Funny how you scoffed at poor ole Coyote Skinner from sask when he was on here a few years ago. You could have learned from him.

So we are fast and our put up is excellent cuz we know what to do and how to do it. My put up is second to few, better than anybody’s in some areas and behind on minor irrelevant areas. I do a commercial put up but my fleshing is near perfect and my hair presentation is spectacular, gleaned from many years of a good ole fashioned Gen X learning process which I highly recommend... good ole wholesome blood sweat and tears. Ok maybe no bawling involved!

Lotsa tricks in this trade for the guy who earnestly seems it out. I’m still learning other ways, hopefully better and faster yet.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:09 PM
Banned

I think that you are confusing entertainment with education.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Old 11-17-2018, 11:16 PM
AO Sponsor

So what should 15 minutes of work be worth? How bout 20 minutes?

O.P. - I think Davey will put you coyotes up for you! But he'll probly want at least $25 bucks a coyote. I do know of a young feller in Athabasca that will put your fur up. Want to take them there? He's probably saving up to go to chiropractor school??? You might even benefit society supporting him! PM me for name n number.

Oh ya... definitely mark all coyotes before taking to any custom skinner. You protect both yourself from skins getting mixed up, or even switched, and protect him from false allegations. Drill a hole in nose or lip to insert tag.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:45 AM

I run a few different guys coyotes thru my shop. Every one get a tag. It prevents mass confusion mainly by my brain. And there are guys that are phenomenal at skinning coyotes. It can be hard to find a good skinned that is at a good price point and is trust worthy. If you find those guys are busy. Good luck. Best bet is to train a fella up to your standards. Don't teach them slow poor skinning practices. Good luck. If you can't get your fur put up in time I'm sure there are a buyer or 2 that will gladly buy them whole. P.M. for details. I know a few around the province.

Bill
Old 11-20-2018, 07:44 PM

Marty at 162$ an hour maybe u should consider skinning coyotes 162 X10 hour day day 1620 a day. Last time I checked u need a damb good education to get that kind of wage. And there is next to no expense custom skinning yotes. But until u skin 4000 a season “ which I have done “ ud find that ur math for skinning coyotes is not reasonable. Coyotes will average over $100 at sale. Twenty five percent of the value of the pelt is not unreasonable. Remember a risings tide lifts all ships.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud light View Post
coyotes will average over $100 at sale. Twenty five percent of the value of the pelt is not unreasonable. Remember a risings tide lifts all ships.
10/4^^^^^
Old 11-20-2018, 11:08 PM

Oh ya... definitely mark all coyotes before taking to any custom skinner. You protect both yourself from skins getting mixed up, or even switched, and protect him from false allegations. Drill a hole in nose or lip to insert tag.[/QUOTE]

What you guys using for a tag?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Seems like things go up but never down. Hopefully WHEN Coyotes go back down to $25 everybody will be lining up to skin/flesh/stretch for $5 again.

IF you skinned 4000 coyotes a winter (Gosh I certainly hope you aren’t exaggerating) I suspect those were coyotes from yesteryear that were all blowed up. What did you put up a coyote for? I did plenty myself in that $7-$8 range for a certain buyer.

Do note I did make allowance for the extra bad damage. I’m not totally opposed to the $25 rate. Just a raw deal on them pretty little snared gems of the modern era. Don’t even hafta wash them unless somebody dumps them upside down in the fleshing machine.

Quote:
But I must add that I have no sympathy for people that blow the living feces out of their coyotes with violent ammo and/or stupid calibres.

- Snared/Trapped - $12

-Clean Shot - $15

-Moderate Damage - $20

Stupid Damage - $25...
Also today’s relevant pricing... I am aware of 4 operations putting up Coyotes today for $12 - $18, $18 for bad damage.

Last edited by Marty S; 11-20-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:57 PM

Brings back memories of the early 70s when we would skin mostly Beavers for Danbergers in Peace River. We figured $3.00 an hour was excellent pay! I recall allowing the hides to partially freeze and then laying them on a sheet of plywood out back and scraping with a garden hoe. Fun times! I also know that the smell of weasels on my hands wasn't one of my favourites.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:05 PM

Nobody will ever line up to skin a coyote for 5 bux. I wouldn't touch someone else's dog for less than 25. I spend a good hour on mine washing and brushing and fleshing and little things that seem to make for nicer averages. I'm a beaver guy and you couldn't hide frigg all on a beaver. When they were a hundo a pop one wrong move with the knife and you lost 70% of the value.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
O.P. - I think Davey will put you coyotes up for you! But he'll probly want at least $25 bucks a coyote. I do know of a young feller in Athabasca that will put your fur up. Want to take them there? He's probably saving up to go to chiropractor school??? You might even benefit society supporting him! PM me for name n number.
I’m pretty sure that the young fella in Athabasca is charging $30 per coyote.

I heard that he does a decent job though.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:02 AM
AO Sponsor

Ya!!!

The whole idea is your easy money goes to a good cause. If he goes to school to be a chiropractor, he'll probably be exceptional (runs in the family, impressive crew), therefore you will be supporting a great cause and he will benefit society, likely paying significant taxes the rest of his life, which do help make this country go round, and make people feel all better.

Maybe he'll move to Westlock Davey and he could be your personal cruncher someday!
Old 11-27-2018, 06:42 PM

Skinned for a guy last year that didn’t want to pay fir the skinning up front. We agreed on a 1/3 deal. But I have to wait till the yotes sell and wait till he gets his money.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:51 PM

The only way I could see myself making a deal like that is if u know the guy. I’m looking to get into custom skinning aswell. Haven’t really advertised that I want to. But it has crossed my mind. If there’s anyone still willing to talk, PM me.

P.s Marty, good luck finding a guy who does it under $20. Sure u might suck him into doing it for a year. But he will most likely get fed up and just stop, or just get smart and stop. Which ever the case may be. There are guys out there that pay $25 to $30 depending on the work. And they don’t bitch and complain either.. Especially with coyote prices being what they are. I think, everyone should live by this word, if u have a problem paying what guys are asking, do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtstahl View Post
The only way I could see myself making a deal like that is if u know the guy. I’m looking to get into custom skinning aswell. Haven’t really advertised that I want to. But it has crossed my mind. If there’s anyone still willing to talk, PM me.

P.s Marty, good luck finding a guy who does it under $20. Sure u might suck him into doing it for a year. But he will most likely get fed up and just stop, or just get smart and stop. Which ever the case may be. There are guys out there that pay $25 to $30 depending on the work. And they don’t bitch and complain either.. Especially with coyote prices being what they are. I think, everyone should live by this word, if u have a problem paying what guys are asking, do it yourself.

Well said... $30 each is where it starts + extra cost for fixing damage
Old 12-08-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Brings back memories of the early 70s when we would skin mostly Beavers for Danbergers in Peace River. We figured $3.00 an hour was excellent pay! I recall allowing the hides to partially freeze and then laying them on a sheet of plywood out back and scraping with a garden hoe. Fun times! I also know that the smell of weasels on my hands wasn't one of my favourites.
The whole Danbergers experience is a treasured memory. He was a character, a little rough around the edges though.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:15 PM

My coyote skinning game clearly needs a lot of improvement. Could one of you more seasoned skinners put on a clinic?
Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
Well said... $30 each is where it starts + extra cost for fixing damage
I’d leave it lay befor paying 30!!!
Old 12-08-2018, 08:15 PM

30$ holy I couldn’t imagine that’s insane. Maybe I need to quit my day job and start skinning coyotes full time. But if people are willing to pay that. Then good on you.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
30$ holy I couldn’t imagine that’s insane. Maybe I need to quit my day job and start skinning coyotes full time. But if people are willing to pay that. Then good on you.
x2
Old 12-09-2018, 01:35 AM
Banned

I get a kick out of guys that pay someone $15 to put up their coyotes half assed and think that they are somehow ahead by not paying someone that knows what they are doing $30 to do a good job. Great, they just did a 3 minute fleshing job on a Yote potentially worth $100 and turned it into a $80 pelt. In the end you are out $35 as opposed to the $30 that it would have cost you to get it done right. Not such a great business plan.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:04 AM

Just cause a guy charges $30 to put up a coyote doesnt mean he is better than a $20 skinner .. for $30 he better be good .
Old 12-09-2018, 08:50 AM

I know 4 different guys who put up coyotes for $30 a piece. Between the 4 of them they put up close to 700 coyotes a year from trappers all across Alberta. Yes! The Trappers deliver them right to the spot. And when the pick them up, they pay. And it’s all repeat customers. So u guys might think it’s unrealistic. But Trappers pay good money to get there coyotes done by professionals. Like Dave mentioned, most cases you get what u pay for.

It’s the same with buying whole coyotes. I’d say buying whole coyotes at $50 a piece isn’t worth it anymore. But there’s guys paying that. So it doesn’t matter how you look at it, paying $50 for a whole coyote or $30 to get it skinned. In the end if your not willing to dish out the money be prepared to get your hands dirty.