Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2015, 11:53 PM

I love cask strength course I always add one ice cube to mellow it....I know it may offend the purists but that's how I like my booze

On a sad note I was poking around my fav store and discovered that my birthday scotch is sold out....it was Coburne 25yr private bottling
Old 04-05-2015, 09:30 AM

Duncan Taylor. The octave 30 years is the best I have ever had. It was a gift and I could never spend that much on a bottle.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Yeah, saw the 14, but found it funny it doesn't actually say 14 yrs, or 14 yrs old or aged 14 yrs, etc... just the number 14. I'm with you though, love the stuff.

Cracked the single cask Springbank 12 tonight for an after supper dram. Think I may have to give it a while to open up. At 58.1%, she has a real quick burn to her on the tongue. Then it gave me heartburn all the way down, almost unbearable. Hate to do it, but may give it a splash of water and see if it helps. I'm not used to cask strength scotch, so am hoping it's just the fact I recently ate supper, or that it'll tame a tad bit getting some air. Seems pretty raw right now.

I was pretty religious about drinking my whisky neat, no water ever, but after being at a couple of tastings where it was recommended (particularly with cask strength), I've started adding a drop or two of distilled. I really opens up the nose, and letting it sit for a few minutes help tame it on the palate so it doesn't scour you on the way down as you described. Adding water won't make you an apostate, just gives the option to enjoy the cask strength the way a Scot would.

Last night, I worked on my Caol Isla 18 year Distiller's Edition. So very nice!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-05-2015, 02:45 PM

I always add a cube to overproofs and don't think any less of my self for it!

I know its a scotch thread. But I would love to give an alberta whisky a plug.

Highwood ninety 20 year.

Its a beautifully smooth 90 proof Whisky. I am never without a bottle. When local distilleries produce quality Like that. we all should support them. Get it at super store.

Brad
Old 04-05-2015, 07:41 PM

I stashed away quite a few of the various Bowmores such as Dawn, Dusk, Mariner, etc, and several of their yearly specialty 16 year caskings before they stopped coming into Canada. They keep me quite happy. Also keep a collection of Ardbeg, Bruichladdich, Talisker, and Auchentoshan. They too keep me quite happy.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 PM

Try the highland park dark you won't be disappointed
Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Anybody else stock up on the Macallan Fine Oak series (10, 12, 15, 17, 18, 21 & 25 yr old) as they have been discontinued? They (fairly) quietly switched to their 'color' series, Gold, Amber, Sienna (wtheck is that?) and Ruby. This is a 'no age' offering, and not cheap. I've tried them all, and while very fine, for the price I really preferred their Fine Oak. I stocked up on what I could get, in the 15-21 yr range, and put them away. Someday, somewhere, there will be a reason to open them, but until then they are under lock and key. Here is an article that tipped me off on the matter....

http://www.masterofmalt.com/blog/pos...-whiskies.aspx

And from their webpage:

http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisky/the-1824-series/

I also managed to pick up a very limited bottling of the GlenDronach 1991 and 1994. Those are not being opened any time soon either, but they are fantastic, I was lucky enough to be at a whisky tasting where they were offered, and wish I had bought 2 bottles of each instead of just one. They are individually numbered, from a given cask. So I have a '94, aged in an Oloroso Sherry Butt, Cask #101, bottle 314 of 628....

http://www.abbeywhisky.com/glendrona...batch-8-whisky

And a '91, aged in Pedro Ximeniz Sherry Puncheon, Cask 5409, bottle 524/716.

http://www.abbeywhisky.com/glendrona...batch-8-whisky

I hardly have been able to resist opening those, but don't dare because I know what will happen. For now, I stick to my other bottles that are still available.

I remember reading this thread awhile ago and I just have a quick question for all you scotch wizards out there.

I really liked the Macallan fine oak series (12,15,18 yr) but it's been replaced with the colour series and not quite the same. I'm currently in Maui and have seen Macallan 12 ($75 USD) and 18 (didn't see the price). If it's been discontinued should I be picking some up to save (and a bottle to drink) and is the $75 a decent price?
Old 04-27-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I remember reading this thread awhile ago and I just have a quick question for all you scotch wizards out there.

I really liked the Macallan fine oak series (12,15,18 yr) but it's been replaced with the colour series and not quite the same. I'm currently in Maui and have seen Macallan 12 ($75 USD) and 18 (didn't see the price). If it's been discontinued should I be picking some up to save (and a bottle to drink) and is the $75 a decent price?
You can still find the 15 yr old here in GP for $100 CDN, and the 12 for about $80 so the prices you quote don't seem like a bargain for sure. It is getting harder to find, and the new 'color non-age' Macallan isn't in the same ball game as the Fine Oak series. Which is why I put away 3 dozen bottles ranging from 12-25 yrs. I think you can still get a better deal here, but don't wait long to pick up a few and put them away. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-27-2015, 04:46 PM

Something you may wish to make note of. I was recently educated that although oxygen won't necesarilly turn hard liquor 'bad' as it does quite quickly with wine, it can diminish the subtle flavors your prize in your good scotch over time. So if like me you have adecent bottle sitting around half full for a length of time the oxygen will attack it given the opportunity. Something I picked up from wine and beyond was an aerosol can of Argon and nitrogen to purge the oxygen from the bottle before recorking and storing. For $9 a can with supposedly 120 uses per I consider it small piece of mind to keep my good scotch good.
Private Preserve inert gas aerosol can .
Just food for thought I guess.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
Something you may wish to make note of. I was recently educated that although oxygen won't necesarilly turn hard liquor 'bad' as it does quite quickly with wine, it can diminish the subtle flavors your prize in your good scotch over time. So if like me you have adecent bottle sitting around half full for a length of time the oxygen will attack it given the opportunity. Something I picked up from wine and beyond was an aerosol can of Argon and nitrogen to purge the oxygen from the bottle before recorking and storing. For $9 a can with supposedly 120 uses per I consider it small piece of mind to keep my good scotch good.
Private Preserve inert gas aerosol can .
Just food for thought I guess.
Sounds like a good piece of advice....though my good whisky never seems to oxidize much before the bottle is empty.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 PM

Smile

You have not lived till you had Lagavulin .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 PM

My "Go To" is the Macallan 18yr. Bought a case about 10 years ago for a hell of a bargain, and I'm down to my last one Also bought a half case of the 15 and I'm on my last one now

I also enjoyed the Highland Park 12 and 15 when looking for a bargain scotch thats not Glenfiddich garbage. I really dislike glenfiddich. Never enjoyed it.

Good to see a lot of members here that enjoy a dram here and there
Old 04-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Banned

J&B is a nice one!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPM View Post
My "Go To" is the Macallan 18yr. Bought a case about 10 years ago for a hell of a bargain, and I'm down to my last one Also bought a half case of the 15 and I'm on my last one now
How the hell does a case of good whisky last you TEN years?? That is some kind of self control! As for the Macallan, give me a shout in about 5 years, when all the supply is gone, and you absolutely MUST have some....I've got a half case of 18 and full case of 15 put aside, and I'm going to make you a very special deal.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
How the hell does a case of good whisky last you TEN years?? That is some kind of self control! As for the Macallan, give me a shout in about 5 years, when all the supply is gone, and you absolutely MUST have some....I've got a half case of 18 and full case of 15 put aside, and I'm going to make you a very special deal.

hahahaha, yeah well it's been savored on special occasions and I had my folks hold onto it for me when I was overseas for a couple years too. So realistically it's not THAAAAAT bad haha

I cant wait to ring you up, however should I ever be passing through GP in the near future I'll call anyways and we can talk wheel guns and sip the nectar of the gods.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPM View Post
I cant wait to ring you up, however should I ever be passing through GP in the near future I'll call anyways and we can talk wheel guns and sip the nectar of the gods.
That tends to happen a lot at my place, my friends call it 'TC's House of Guns and Whisky'. I've had more than a few friends come by, have a couple drinks, and buy a gun.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Everytime I fall off the wagon...

damn good stuff.

I see a lot about Islay, but there's a distillery on the isle just to the east called Jura, bottled under the same name. Anyone tried it?

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Everytime I fall off the wagon...

damn good stuff.

I see a lot about Islay, but there's a distillery on the isle just to the east called Jura, bottled under the same name. Anyone tried it?
A friend just gave me a bottle of that 18 yr old Glenmorangie, a little trade going on. Great stuff indeed! And yes, I have tried the Jura number of times and found it to be most enjoyable. I still prefer most of my Islay malts to it, but it is a fine whisky in its own right.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:15 AM

Bunnahabhain
Old 04-29-2015, 09:22 AM

Bunnahabhain
Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
A friend just gave me a bottle of that 18 yr old Glenmorangie, a little trade going on. Great stuff indeed! And yes, I have tried the Jura number of times and found it to be most enjoyable. I still prefer most of my Islay malts to it, but it is a fine whisky in its own right.
I picked up a bottle of Jura a while back at duty free. Always nice to have another islay in the collection.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:16 PM

about to finish off a bottle of Glenfarclas 105 cask strength. So good. Need to get another soon.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:21 PM

So I had the pleasure of going to a whisky tasting tonight, and it was the best yet here. We got to try several limited edition whiskies, and much fun was had by all.....

We sampled a Glendronach Sauterne Cask finish, 1993 Glen Garioch, 1989 Macallan (beauty!), a 21 year old Jura (my favorite of the night), Arran Orkney Bere, Springbank Cask 12 yr, Ledaig (very nice for the price), Bunnahabhain Ceobanach (lots of smoke, complex and long finish)....and then...

We finished with the Bruichladdich Octomore 6.3. In the World of Whisky, this is the new King of the Hill for phenol. Previously, the Octomore 6.1 had a rating of 169 (compare that to a Laphroaig Quarter Cask which is probably mid 60s?). The 6.3 is rated at 258, I kid you not. It was kind of like drinking a good cigar that was lit at both ends. I can't hardly describe it, and though I enjoyed it, I would almost call it a novelty whisky. Kind of like the hottest hot sauce in the world...you get it and drink it because you can? Apparently only 3 cases made it to Alberta.

http://www.bruichladdich.com/article...3-islay-barley

So, I bought a couple bottles, because I have friends who must try it at some point, just to say they did, and because it won't be around for long (limited bottling). It is 63% AVB, so a bit of water is in order!

I also picked up a Jura, I will do a proper review of that soon, and also of the 15 yr Tomatin I picked up. Now, I need to go sell a nice gun to pay for all that whisky! Was a lovely evening.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
So I had the pleasure of going to a whisky tasting tonight, and it was the best yet here. We got to try several limited edition whiskies, and much fun was had by all.....

We sampled a Glendronach Sauterne Cask finish, 1993 Glen Garioch, 1989 Macallan (beauty!), a 21 year old Jura (my favorite of the night), Arran Orkney Bere, Springbank Cask 12 yr, Ledaig (very nice for the price), Bunnahabhain Ceobanach (lots of smoke, complex and long finish)....and then...

We finished with the Bruichladdich Octomore 6.3. In the World of Whisky, this is the new King of the Hill for phenol. Previously, the Octomore 6.1 had a rating of 169 (compare that to a Laphroaig Quarter Cask which is probably mid 60s?). The 6.3 is rated at 258, I kid you not. It was kind of like drinking a good cigar that was lit at both ends. I can't hardly describe it, and though I enjoyed it, I would almost call it a novelty whisky. Kind of like the hottest hot sauce in the world...you get it and drink it because you can? Apparently only 3 cases made it to Alberta.

http://www.bruichladdich.com/article...3-islay-barley

So, I bought a couple bottles, because I have friends who must try it at some point, just to say they did, and because it won't be around for long (limited bottling). It is 63% AVB, so a bit of water is in order!

I also picked up a Jura, I will do a proper review of that soon, and also of the 15 yr Tomatin I picked up. Now, I need to go sell a nice gun to pay for all that whisky! Was a lovely evening.
Sounds like a great evening! Actually next Tuesday my father and I have tickets to an Ardbeg tasting evening. Can't wait.

An Octomore with at 258, wow! I can't even imagine what that would be like. My octomore is around 155, and it is something amazing. How much did that set you back? I think I paid around $150 a few years ago for the Octomore (5.1 I think?) I have. You know what bugs me about Bruichladdich? Have you ever noticed, their bottles are only 700ml, I always feel like I'm getting ripped off 50 ml! Cheers
Old 06-01-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Sounds like a great evening! Actually next Tuesday my father and I have tickets to an Ardbeg tasting evening. Can't wait.

An Octomore with at 258, wow! I can't even imagine what that would be like. My octomore is around 155, and it is something amazing. How much did that set you back? I think I paid around $150 a few years ago for the Octomore (5.1 I think?) I have. You know what bugs me about Bruichladdich? Have you ever noticed, their bottles are only 700ml, I always feel like I'm getting ripped off 50 ml! Cheers
The Octomore was $150 ish, but we got a discount for buying that night (10%)....I'm saving mine for that special cataclysmic event.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:51 AM

^^^ decent price!
Old 06-01-2015, 12:54 PM

Default whiskey buying

has single malt recently jumped way up in price? A friend was quoting me some prices at superstore and they seemed to me to be a lot higher than 4 months ago? FS
Old 06-01-2015, 03:51 PM

Maybe, do you recall any prices he told you? The other week I picked up at Superstore a bottle of 15 yr Bowmore and I think I paid 70-75, and I think it used to be around 65? I've always found Superstore to have good prices and a decent selection. Coop on the other hand has a much better selection but I've always noticed the same bottle at Coop is 10+ dollars more than what you'd pay for it at Superstore.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:02 PM

the Chateau Louis liquor store has a tremendous selection of single malts. I was coming home from Scotland 5 years ago and one of my best customers at that time use to go on and on about a discontinued distiller called Port Ellen. And what do I find at the airport for $499 pounds a bottle of Port Ellen, well I bought that bottle and severed it up to my best customer at the time and the SOB dropped my lines about 2 months later...LOL
Old 06-03-2015, 10:18 AM

Went to an Ardbeg tasting last night, had a great time. Here's a couple pics.

Before:

After:

I did make one purchase, but not Ardbeg (my supply of that is doing ok). But I did notice this thanks to TC. Looking forward to a cold rainy night to try it out: