Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Default Where to get coyote traps

Never trapped anything before and wouldnt mind trying to get some yotes. Where can you get traps around the Edmonton area and what is the best kind?
Do you just put them on a well traveled trail? or do you use some sort of attractant?
I have heard of ones where you put some sort of flavouring on the mechanisism then the coyotes go to lick it off and they trigger something on the mechanism that triggers a spike to go through there head.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

B4 you go lay some iron, I might suggest a thorough review trapping regs. Just might save yourself some money, far more than what you'll get for any dogs you "NAIL" this time of year...FINE WISE OR OTHERWISE.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 PM

First time coyote trapping? Your in for a world of frustration. Get some books and DVDs on coyote trapping before you educate a bunch of them. Smartest critter you"ll ever try trapping.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM

The absolute first thing you're gonna need to do is get a licence...which will require a test/course for a first-timer. THEN, the frustration begins !!

Personally, I never had too much success at trapping coyotes but snaring them is another story. I didn't hang any snares this winter but my all time high for 1 year is 110.

And to answer your original question, traps can be purchased at Halford Hide or the Alberta Trappers Ass'n. store in Westlock.